Micro stutters - VRAM Usage?

I have a Nvidia 1060 with 3gb of VRAM.

I get good FPS, but I get occasional micro stutters which I think may be attributed to my VRAM usage.

As soon as I start a mission, my VRAM goes straight to 3gb usage. It never seems to drop.

Please check my settings attached.

Note I have tried changing terrain textures, vis range, shadows, a-filtering, msaa all to lowest settings and it makes no difference to VRAM usage.

I'm not sure if this is normal..

dcs-settings.thumb.png.87aba3725d5fffdb556d4e797e358025.png

dcs-vram.thumb.png.f13972cfe9912f917241a485ac3a90f0.png

GIGABYTE 78LMT

AMD FX-8350

MSI ARMOR 1060 GTX 3GB

32 GB RAM DDR3 1600

SSD 120GB OS - DCS Installed

SSD 240GB

HDD 1TB

1080p @ 60hz

Yeah, 3GB of VRAM is extremely anemic these days. I have a 1070 with 8GB and frequently run into problems with too little VRAM, though not from gaming.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

I have a Nvidia 1060 with 3gb of VRAM.

I get good FPS, but I get occasional micro stutters which I think may be attributed to my VRAM usage.

As soon as I start a mission, my VRAM goes straight to 3gb usage. It never seems to drop.

Please check my settings attached.

Note I have tried changing terrain textures, vis range, shadows, a-filtering, msaa all to lowest settings and it makes no difference to VRAM usage.

I'm not sure if this is normal..

Well with those settings a 2080 might struggle. if you did lower terrain textures and did not notice a vram drop something is wrong somehwere ..

basically your settings in DCS are way to high for your system which you did not list or even say what resolution you game at VR or Monitor??

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

It looks like your preload range is set to minimum . This can result in a lot of terrain-loading stutters . And yes , otherwise your settings are very , very high .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I've updated my system specs on my sig now.

I tweaked my graphics settings using the DCS optimisation guide on this forum. Like I said the frame rate is great, I get 60 solid in the air, and around 40 on the ground.

I play on a 49 inch TV at 1080p 60.

I will try now to go from absolute lowest settings upward and see if VRAM usage changes.

GIGABYTE 78LMT

AMD FX-8350

MSI ARMOR 1060 GTX 3GB

32 GB RAM DDR3 1600

SSD 240GB

HDD 1TB

1080p @ 60hz

So I lowered all settings, except resolution, to it's minimal, and the VRAM only went down to 2.8gb usage from 3.0gb.

I've got no real breathing room here at all so I'll just live with it. FPS are good to me so it's ok I'll just live with the stutters.

I increased the preload radius as mentioned earlier to see if that will help.

GIGABYTE 78LMT

AMD FX-8350

MSI ARMOR 1060 GTX 3GB

32 GB RAM DDR3 1600

SSD 240GB

HDD 1TB

1080p @ 60hz

Hello,

I use a GTX 1060 6Gb

stutter could have many sources

Here some tips about stutters,

you should find in forum about :

- clean fxo and metshader ( run mission on each terrains to force recompile )

- disable hot plug device

- disable replay tacking

- disable windows game recording

- reduce windows process in background

Unfortunately nothing much you can do, DCS just needs more VRAM unless you manage to put things to low.

But still I made this utility which was meant more for performance testing, tho I haven't updated it, most likely may not work for 2.5.6 but you could try because the terrain stuff may haven't changed that significantly since.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303133/ .... EDIT: that's really not optimal for ordinary user but I did have plan to get into that kind of testing again later, if you ask me or PM I can help with the tool but I don't have plan right now I'm busy with some non-DCS stuff, I'd like to be here doing testing while the free period is going but I just have to take care of some other things i've been delaying. I should really make that program to move files and not delete permanently hah.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria