How is Taiwan not a faction yet?

carss

There are only a few countries in the world that recognise Taiwan:

Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Nicaragua, Palau, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and The Grenadines, Solomon Island, Tuvalu, Vatican City

So it seems that for most countries (including Russia) Taiwan isn't officially a Nation.

Which shouldn't matter for DCS, as we already have countries in DCS, that are barely recognized by anyone (Abkhazia and South Ossetia).

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Which shouldn't matter for DCS, as we already have countries in DCS, that are barely recognized by anyone (Abchasia and South Ossetia).

I agree, nobody really knows of South Ossetia or Abkhazia

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

ME the lists are 3 custom modern or WWII.

the list of modern nations is missing:

afghanistan------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Albania

angola

Argentine---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armenia

Azerbaijan

bahamas

bangladesh

barbados

belize

benin

bhutan

Bolivia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

botswana

Brunei

Burkina Faso

burundi

Cambodia

Cameroon

Cape Verde

Central African Rep

Chad

Taiwan (Republic of China Air Force)---------------------------------------------------

Cyprus

Colombia

Comore

Republic of the Congo

Congo DR

Ivory Coast

Costa Rica

Dominican Rep

ecuador

El Salvador

eritrea

Estonia

Fiji

Gabon

Gambia

Ghana

Jamaica

Djibouti

Guatemala

Guinea

Equatorial Guinea

Guinea-Bissau

Guyana

Haiti

Honduras

Iceland

kenya

Kyrgyzstan

Laos

Latvia

Lithuania

Luxembourg

North Macedonia

Madagascar

malawi

mali

Malta

mauritania

mauritius

Moldova

Mongolia

montenegro

Mozambique

Myanmar (Burma)

Namibia

Nepal

Nicaragua

Niger

Nigeria

New Zeland

Panama

Papua New Guinea

paraguay

Peru--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portugal----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rwanda

Senegal

seychelles

Sierra Leone

Singapore

slovenia---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somalia

Sri Lanka

suriname

swaziland

Tajikistan--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tanzania

togo

Trinidad and Tobago

turkmenistan

Uganda

Uruguay

Uzbekistan------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zambia

(formerly Northern Rhodesia)

Zimbabwe

(formerly Southern Rhodesia

a clarification in this topic here is not about inserting new maps but it is only and simply adding new countries to the current list.

name and flag ---stop---.

as for the rest of the game, everything remains by default

Edited by Xilon_x

There are only a few countries in the world that recognise Taiwan:

Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Nicaragua, Palau, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and The Grenadines, Solomon Island, Tuvalu, Vatican City

So it seems that for most countries (including Russia) Taiwan isn't officially a Nation.

Technically, yes, but in reality it's more complicated than that. China has a policy that for any country who recognizes Taiwan, China will break diplomatic ties with that country. Obviously, it's more important to have ties to China than to Taiwan. However, the majority of major countries have diplomatic relations with Taiwan equivalent to official ties such as an embassy building, consulates, and among other things. Yet, it's all unofficial. The American embassy in Taiwan is referred to as the "American Institute in Taiwan" for example. De facto, Taiwan is a country, but of course, de jure, it is not. You can enter most major countries (even China) with a Taiwanese passport, exchange currency around with world with Taiwanese currency, and more. Most countries treat Taiwan as a independent nation, just not officially.

Any major country officially recognizing Taiwan would destabilize the region and likely cause China to use their military to "take back" Taiwan by force. It's just not worth officially recognizing Taiwan. It's far better to maintain the status quo and for countries to just sit quietly and recognize internally that Taiwan is independent.

But that's also exactly why a map based around the Taiwan Strait would be such a great map for DCS. Super realistic area for modern/future combat, not to mention Taiwanese scenery is breath taking. Of course, the discussion here at hand is simply to put Taiwan as a selectable country in the game, not a map.

And for the record, I'm not trying to start a political discussion here. I'm just stating the current situation for anyone who may not know. Not for me to say whether or not Taiwan should or should not be part of China, nor will I.

Wow it's not just a few phrases like "Tiananmen square", though of course that is in the list.

There are over 21,000 entries!

I know they want the chinese money, but I'm kind of disappointed that ED would do this.

Its not just DCS, even Hollywood has had to change their movies so that they can pass Chinese censorship so that the movies can be shown in Chinas lucrative market. Even Top Gun 2 has had to censor Mavericks flight jacket to pass censorship.

6tz0cjnf2bb31.png

• Like 1

China is going to have a very difficult future after this.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

it can be done, think its just an edit in the coalition file...add a flag to it and voila. Dont ask me how to do it, but it was done in Black Shark 1.0, Flaming Cliffs 1 and 2....

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

So was already in the game just under Republic of China. Dead thread walking

My wallpaper and skins

ahh, I didnt think that would be hard at all.

My wallpaper and skins

hum no, I was just curious so I modified the db_countries.lua and added the flag in the appropriate locations ;)

If you modify it yourself then it compromises the integrity :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

I don't think simply making Taiwan a faction in DCS would really matter much

China has banned other games for depicting Taiwan and Tibet as independent countries. Even football games, were you were able to play the national football teams of those countries were banned.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

Hi all,

This is a wish list thread, and we do see them.

Portugal is going to be added as a country next, but this is currently low priority, we may consider more in the future, but for now, we don't have the dev time to even consider it.

With that said please remember we do not allow politics to be discussed on the forum, so please refrain.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 months later...
If Eagle Dynamics want to sell its products to chinese customers, they probably don't want to upset the authorities and "recognize" Taiwan as an independent faction. Much bigger companies are forced to bend their own policies to please the Party.

I'm all about a Taiwanese faction,I even made some time ago a plea for a Strait of Taiwan map but I highly doubt we can get those.

I know Bejing gets but hurt over any hint that Taiwan is independent, however my two questions are who dose the PRC claim they were fighting in the Civil War and what term would they describe the Taiwanese military? If there is any localization then this could solve the issue. In China Taiwan could be called the Rebles or what ever the CPC wants to label them

Hi all,

This is a wish list thread, and we do see them.

Portugal is going to be added as a country next, but this is currently low priority, we may consider more in the future, but for now, we don't have the dev time to even consider it.

With that said please remember we do not allow politics to be discussed on the forum, so please refrain.

thanks

Understood, thank you :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

I just checked the file, even "Russia" (俄羅斯) has been banned in this file of 'censor.lua'.

So where is this game came from? Outer space?

This file is very interesting, if you need my translation I can help you.

Also these urls seems to be a very good list to check out.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, evanf117 said:

technically Taiwan is, or adlest was part of Japan,

So what? We also have Abkhazia and South Ossetia as playable factions in DCS...

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

Taiwan is a legit nation, period.  I really hope the reason its not recognized by DCS is for fear of offending china (which I could not possibly care less about).

• Like 6

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

41 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Taiwan is a legit nation, period.  I really hope the reason its not recognized by DCS is for fear of offending china (which I could not possibly care less about).

guess who else is a legit nation? (hint; half-mast)

will you ask that too?

15 hours ago, QuiGon said:

So what? We also have Abkhazia and South Ossetia as playable factions in DCS...

it was just an interesting note to add, i wish we had all the missing factions, especially Armenian but alas we dont because it takes effort to make factions

Edited by evanf117
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Easy to say that when you're not the one making the money, though.

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!