Cockpit impossibly dark in shadow

imacken

Hmm.. see below. Top is on, bottom off.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm afraid I can't really help you much more.

Like jojo said previoulsly I suppose it's a matter of balance between the screen brightness setting and DCS gamma setting. For info my screen brightness setting is very low and my DCS gamma is 2.4. Also note I'm using DCS stable version on this one.

Thanks. It's a common issue with the Mirage cockpit that has been commneted on many times. I just though that someone might know of a mod or a technique to lighten up the textures.

It's not so important now as I am becoming familiar with where the buttons/dials are and I can select them even when they are totally in the dark!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

You said in a previous post that you'd tried it with all internal lighting turned up to max but in those two pictures you posted I don't see any cockpit lights on. Are you sure you've tried it with the flood lighting on? I'm assuming you know this, but you know that the Mirage instrument light dials have an inner and outer dial? The inner one turns on the orange back-lighting to the dials and the outer one turns on the green cockpit flood lighting. I too find some of the Mirage cockpit switches dark and difficult to see but I have my gamma turned up and, if your fps can handle it, turning on the flood lights really does make a big difference and allows you to see the small switches in all the dark nooks and crannies.

You may already know all this but just checking to be sure in case it's a help.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

You said in a previous post that you'd tried it with all internal lighting turned up to max but in those two pictures you posted I don't see any cockpit lights on. Are you sure you've tried it with the flood lighting on? I'm assuming you know this, but you know that the Mirage instrument light dials have an inner and outer dial? The inner one turns on the orange back-lighting to the dials and the outer one turns on the green cockpit flood lighting. I too find some of the Mirage cockpit switches dark and difficult to see but I have my gamma turned up and, if your fps can handle it, turning on the flood lights really does make a big difference and allows you to see the small switches in all the dark nooks and crannies.

You may already know all this but just checking to be sure in case it's a help.

Thanks for that. Yes, I am aware of all that. The pics above were just to demonstrate the effect (or lack of effect) of cockpit global illumination.

Can confirm, the cockpit is so dark that I have to butcher the gamma curve with ReShade shaders ("shadows-midtones-highlights" and the like) to be able to see the switches.

...the explanation of the past and the prediction of the future are not different operations, but the same worked in opposite directions, the one from effect to cause, the other from cause to effect. (A. Marshall)

Целенаправленная ложь ... создает своих демонов, искажая все: прошлое, вернее представление о нем, настоящее - в действиях и будущее - в результатах этих действий. (И. Ефремов)

Yes, the shadows are absurdly dark and not realistic at all, some would say that it is gamma calibration or things like that but the truth is that it is wrong and not only in the M-2000C to a lesser or greater extent all the other modules suffer from the same

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah switching to Gamma 2.0 fixed it for me (for the most part, night lighting is messy but that's 2.5.6 for you, and it's not exclusive to the Mirage either). I thought it would be too bright, but it's fine.

Give us your DCS gamma settings and we'll see :smilewink:

Mine is 2.4

Here and there I see people say they use gamma as low as 1.0, could anyone explain why use such a low value?

...the explanation of the past and the prediction of the future are not different operations, but the same worked in opposite directions, the one from effect to cause, the other from cause to effect. (A. Marshall)

Целенаправленная ложь ... создает своих демонов, искажая все: прошлое, вернее представление о нем, настоящее - в действиях и будущее - в результатах этих действий. (И. Ефремов)

Changing the Gamma just for the Mirage will just blow everything else out.

The cockpit is just too dark. I have to run all of the cockpit lights in the daytime so I can see all of the switches.

Even then there are still some I cant see.

Changing the Gamma just for the Mirage will just blow everything else out.

The cockpit is just too dark. I have to run all of the cockpit lights in the daytime so I can see all of the switches.

Even then there are still some I cant see.

This. Exactly my point from post #1!

So how comes some of use can see the cockpit correctly without high gamma and without ruining other aircraft cockpits ?

Are you guys sure there is not an issue on your end ?

Very sure. This has been commented on by people for a long time now.

Are you saying you can see something like the Refuel Transfer Switch OK in shade?

Very sure. This has been commented on by people for a long time now.

Are you saying you can see something like the Refuel Transfer Switch OK in shade?

Yes I can read the label in the shade and without interior lighting.

I will try to make a screenshot of this switch and of the F/A-18 cockpit a bit later to prove my point :).

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Thanks, but, of course if your gamma is 2.3 you're not going to have the issue.

I said right at the start, that whacking gamma up making other cockpits and terrains all washed out was not the answer. This is a Mirage issue. All other pits (except maybe the Viggen) look fine.

Your Hornet looks blown out to me, but each to his own.

Ok, I was wrong, the standard on Windows system isn’t 2.0, it’s 2.2 :D

Guys, turn off mods, reset screen setting, DCS settings, Windows settings and then tweak from there.

Mirage cockpit is fine for most people, you can’t expect the cockpit to be adjusted for gamma like 1.0.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/-glossary-gamma-definition,5884.html

Too washed out ? Don’t fly at noon in summer time. It’s the worst time for photography colours IRL too.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

This has become pointless. I’m off!

Then maybe reshade is doing you bad trick.

Nope. It's my monitor's gamma curve being too low (more like 2.4 than the standard 2.2), but I want to specifically note that my monitor is by far not the worst offender when it comes to gamma curves, there are a lot of people with monitors much worse than mine. I think that making darker shades of gray lighter in the cockpit will help a lot of pour souls who doesn't have calibrated-10bit-IPS-pro-blablah monitors.

This is the gamma curve correction I have to apply to the game in order to see the switches in the cockpit.

gamma.png.8832b8044be877544455b2400aecf769.png

Edited by Neon Knight

So how comes some of use can see the cockpit correctly without high gamma and without ruining other aircraft cockpits ?

Are you guys sure there is not an issue on your end ?

No its not my end. :noexpression:

I've only had the Mirage for a short time & it is the only aircraft That has an overly dark cockpit.

The picture in post #42 of the cockpit is heaps brighter than mine. I wish mine was that clear :(

I run stable.

Edited by mrmat01