AI airplane hidden under another AI airplane

Pochi

Hi,

I am completely new to ME in DCS. I just installed the Civilian Aircraft Mod to populate the sky above Nevada and I tried to reproduce a movie scene where a fighter was hidden under an airliner.

I set a 747 at 37000ft 470GS and a Su27 just under at same speed but 36900ft. Sadly it just doesn’t work. For whatever reason the 747 pitches up at spawn as if she was evading the SU and then she goes on its FPL but speed is 430GS. Of course the SU is way forward after that.

So, is my idea impossible or is there some settings I should set in the ME for such a scenario to occur?

My idea was to create a mission where one would have to tally some airliners to find the bandit, and if possible set a trigger which would make the bandit offensive when you get close to it. Don’t if it is doable though.

Best regards,

Pierre

If you open the Advanced Waypoint Action menu and select Set option -> reaction to threat -> none at the aircraft's first waypoint (WP0 for blue, SP for red) he should stop trying to avoid the collision if memory serves. It may also be necessary for the fighter. Also be sure that the flight regime defined at the waypoints is within tolerances for both aircraft or they will behave strangely.

There is a follow command you can give the AI. Set all distances to 0 except elevation at -100 and it will follow a plane 100 ft below that plane's altitude.

To control hostility set the AI to have no reaction to threats and then change this to something else by using a moving trigger zone on the unit.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The follow command in the ME only works for groups of the same coalition.

To change the ROE, which initially would be set to "WEAPON HOLD" in the advanced waypoint actions for the Su-27, one solution would be to create a trigger for a moving zone which checks for player units' presence to change its ROE. In advance, you would have to a) define an arbitrary zone that will be used as the moving zone in the moving zone trigger, and b) setup the ROE change as a triggered action on the Su-27's waypoint/-s, which in turn will be used in the moving zone trigger. Since you are new to the ME, maybe

can help.
Edited by Catweedle

The follow command in the ME only works for groups of the same coalition.

To change the ROE, which initially would be set to "WEAPON HOLD" in the advanced waypoint actions for the Su-27, one solution would be to create a trigger for a moving zone which checks for player units' presence to change its ROE. In advance, you would have to a) define an arbitrary zone that will be used as the moving zone in the moving zone trigger, and b) setup the ROE change as a triggered action on the Su-27's waypoint/-s, which in turn will be used in the moving zone trigger. Since you are new to the ME, maybe

can help.

There is a workaround, if you create the follow command with both units on the same side, once you are done making the connection then you can go ahead and change one of the planes back to the other side, works perfectly, using it here extensively.

Ok, so I tried your suggestions but I have to say it does not work. For whatever reason the F16 (I change it to SU27) spawns above the 747 then it decelerate behind, catches up a few minutes later, stays below for maybe 20 seconds, then the 747 pulls up 45deg nose up with F16 following under. After that it is total mess^^ It seems the No Reaction option is not working.

Any idea what could be wrong? I am maybe asking to much to the AI.

Pierre

There is a workaround, if you create the follow command with both units on the same side, once you are done making the connection then you can go ahead and change one of the planes back to the other side, works perfectly, using it here extensively.

Thanks, did not know.