[NEED TRACK REPLAY]Damage model of LS Samuel Chase is unrealistic

450Devil

To test the damage model of the LS Samuel Chase I set up a mission wherein four Ju-88s fired their load of two torpedoes each at the ship (eight torpedoes in total). All torpedoes hit the ship but it was not until the sixth torpedo that the health bar turned red and the ship's speed reduced by 3 knots. LS's are thin skinned ships - not battleships with armed belts below the waterline - so a single torpedo hit should significantly damage, if not sink, a LS. After taking eight torpedoes the ship showed a red health bar but was still steaming along.

To test the damage model of the LS Samuel Chase I set up a mission wherein four Ju-88s fired their load of two torpedoes each at the ship (eight torpedoes in total). All torpedoes hit the ship but it was not until the sixth torpedo that the health bar turned red and the ship's speed reduced by 3 knots. LS's are thin skinned ships - not battleships with armed belts below the waterline - so a single torpedo hit should significantly damage, if not sink, a LS. After taking eight torpedoes the ship showed a red health bar but was still steaming along.

Is it the LS's DM, or the Torps being weak?

If you hit it with bombs is it just as hard to kill?

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would submit a track here but it is 8MB apparently too large! I let the mission run for a long time after the ships were damaged to see if they had any flooding or fire damage that takes place over time, but there appears to be none. There were 5 torpedo hits and one SC500 bomb hit here and no ships sunk (LST and Samuel chase). I see by other threads of this type that people are having the same problem with the U-boat and Schnellboot. I don't think there needs to be a big time consuming fix, just halve their health points or something.

We did some research on the issue of sinking the Samuel Chase with bombs, based on the historical attacks on Bone Harbour (02-Jan-1942) using two entire squadrons of FW 190s (rather than the lone aircraft, that DCS players are typically using). Our conclusion was that the damage model of the DCS ships (LSTs and Samuel Chase) were consistent with the damage inflicted during that attack (see links below, and references therein). We have not yet investigated the torpedoes, but do bear in mind that airborne torpedoes are not the same as U-boat fired torpedoes. Additionally, the torpedoes from the Ju 88s are not being set to detonate under the keel, but are relying on impact detonations against the side of the ship.

References

http://stormofwar.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=53815#p53815

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3993334&postcount=13

Both ships have updated damage models from a purely graphics perspective, in that they have improved textures, and some 3D damage. But otherwise the damage modelling is in the exact same boat (hah!, sorry) as any other ship in DCS World.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

We did some research on the issue of sinking the Samuel Chase with bombs, based on the historical attacks on Bone Harbour (02-Jan-1942) using two entire squadrons of FW 190s (rather than the lone aircraft, that DCS players are typically using). Our conclusion was that the damage model of the DCS ships (LSTs and Samuel Chase) were consistent with the damage inflicted during that attack (see links below, and references therein). We have not yet investigated the torpedoes, but do bear in mind that airborne torpedoes are not the same as U-boat fired torpedoes. Additionally, the torpedoes from the Ju 88s are not being set to detonate under the keel, but are relying on impact detonations against the side of the ship.

References

http://stormofwar.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=53815#p53815

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3993334&postcount=13

Keep in mind that ships are usually way more vulnerable to attacks from the top than against attacks to the side, since the hull is by far better protected. Imo a 500kg bomb hit should have a good chance to completely disable the ship due to destruction of vital components or even sink it with a single bomb when the ammo storage is hit. Rudel f.e. sunk a Russian battleship with a single bomb.

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Keep in mind that ships are usually way more vulnerable to attacks from the top than against attacks to the side, since the hull is by far better protected. Imo a 500kg bomb hit should have a good chance to completely disable the ship due to destruction of vital components or even sink it with a single bomb when the ammo storage is hit. Rudel f.e. sunk a Russian battleship with a single bomb.

Not to mention what happened to the mighty Hood, when one Ship Gun round penetrated through a weak superstructure area and hit the magazine.

Plenty of other instances of bombs or artillery (ship) rounds dropping in through upper decks and creating havoc.

I have been going after the Molinya with my A-10C in a mission I setup, and if I get a good deck hit with a GBU-12, she usually sinks first hit every time, or becomes severely damaged as to become dead in the water or extremely slow with some systems knocked out.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

We did have a LOD issue on the damage model which has already been fixed.

As you are aware the damage models for units are based on hit points, this is correct for the time being until we have improved damage models for units.

If you have a specific example please include a track reply showing it.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2