need help locking onto targets

pete_auau

edit trying to add a video of the issues, the issues is that i get a red v with a tail above it. Which iam unable to lock on, not matter if in rws or tws mode. After awhile it changes to a green dot in which i can lock on. This happens only in the oer mission p1 v1.5 in the first mission, maybe this is the issue and iam using stable version of dcs

Edited by pete_auau

Sounds like you're trying to lock a datalink track (red track) , rather than a brick that your own on board sensors (green track from your radar) are picking up.

On the lower screen switch to SA mode. Use the cursor to highlight the target you want to lock and it will show its height (on the right I think). Use this information to slew the radar elevation on the right DDI so that the Radar is looking in the right place.

My explanation isn't the best I know, but hopefully this will help.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

What are you trying to lock onto, a plane or ship or what?

And with what weapon?

PS- In some other flight sims and wargames a target blip sometimes turns red to indicate that its got its jammers on to stop you locking it up.

was in air to air aim120(tws and rws modes)ok that might explain it jamming didnt think of that pity i cant upload the video i took of it

Sounds like you're trying to lock a datalink track (red track) , rather than a brick that your own on board sensors (green track from your radar) are picking up.

On the lower screen switch to SA mode. Use the cursor to highlight the target you want to lock and it will show its height (on the right I think). Use this information to slew the radar elevation on the right DDI so that the Radar is looking in the right place.

My explanation isn't the best I know, but hopefully this will help.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

thx for the info will try the same mission again hopefully i can work out how to post the video i took of it

Alright, so in order to explain what you're seeing, we need to talk about HAFU symbols. HAFU means Hostile Ambiguous Friendly Unknown, and they refer to the symbols you'll see on the radar and SA pages.

HAFU symbols are split into two halves, top and bottom. The bottom half of a HAFU represents what is being donated to you through datalink (fighter-to-fighter, AWACS, etc.). The top-half of a HAFU is what your aircraft is determining by itself. So if you only have the bottom half of a HAFU on the radar, your aircraft has not detected that contact. If you only have the top half of a HAFU, your aircraft is not being told about it through datalink, it's been able to detect it by itself. Having both halves of the HAFU means you and someone else have both detected the same contact.

Each type of symbol is defined by a shape; friendlies are round (green), hostiles are diamond (red), unknowns are square (yellow), and ambiguous will be a half-and-half of two different shapes (yellow). If a HAFU symbol is full (top and bottom), and of the same type, the contact will be a corroborated contact, and the HAFU symbol can be shared as a full symbol (but slightly smaller) across datalink. Now in this case, let's say two of your buddies have detected a contact and corroborated it, but you haven't. In this instance, you'll see the full, slightly smaller HAFU symbol on the radar, but you still haven't detected it. At this point, any corroborated HAFU detected on your radar will have its associated track file ranked numerically, with 1 being the contact the computer determines is the most threatening contact to you, and increasing in number as the calculated threat decreases.

TL;DR: Your radar hasn't detected those contacts, you may have to adjust your antenna elevation, or the contacts are notching you, and you're just seeing them on datalink.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Alright, so in order to explain what you're seeing, we need to talk about HAFU symbols. HAFU means Hostile Ambiguous Friendly Unknown, and they refer to the symbols you'll see on the radar and SA pages.

HAFU symbols are split into two halves, top and bottom. The bottom half of a HAFU represents what is being donated to you through datalink (fighter-to-fighter, AWACS, etc.). The top-half of a HAFU is what your aircraft is determining by itself. So if you only have the bottom half of a HAFU on the radar, your aircraft has not detected that contact. If you only have the top half of a HAFU, your aircraft is not being told about it through datalink, it's been able to detect it by itself. Having both halves of the HAFU means you and someone else have both detected the same contact.

Each type of symbol is defined by a shape; friendlies are round (green), hostiles are diamond (red), unknowns are square (yellow), and ambiguous will be a half-and-half of two different shapes (yellow). If a HAFU symbol is full (top and bottom), and of the same type, the contact will be a corroborated contact, and the HAFU symbol can be shared as a full symbol (but slightly smaller) across datalink. Now in this case, let's say two of your buddies have detected a contact and corroborated it, but you haven't. In this instance, you'll see the full, slightly smaller HAFU symbol on the radar, but you still haven't detected it. At this point, any corroborated HAFU detected on your radar will have its associated track file ranked numerically, with 1 being the contact the computer determines is the most threatening contact to you, and increasing in number as the calculated threat decreases.

TL;DR: Your radar hasn't detected those contacts, you may have to adjust your antenna elevation, or the contacts are notching you, and you're just seeing them on datalink.

thx for the info, so in order to lock them up in radar i need to have them both corroborated by myself and another aircraft.

No, in order to lock a contact, you only need to detect it. Having a contact corroborated with another just changes the appearance of the HAFU.

This should help explain:

attachment.php?attachmentid=215310&d=1565535152

My initial explanation incorrectly described the appearance of the smaller, correlated track files, which are actually just surveillance tracks.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Get the same problem with the f18 radar, the enemy can be coming straight at you and bein the middle of your radar elevation setting(checked by using the SA page) and the enemy will not be detected this happens intermitaintly, the f16 radar is way better

Thx for your help, made myself a test mission 1v1 at100nm apart with a awacs on my side, at the start there was a fully red diamond. locked onto it but not as per my other lock on previously(when i hadnt turned on dl) when their was only a green dot anyway the radar was only sweeping over the target and when it got closer the targert square appeared on the hud.

Anyways thx again my confusion was the dl since this was the first time i had it on :)