Unguided bombs with TGP problem

Zohardv

Hi all.

I've been fiddling around with unguided bombs and TGP. I've loaded the instant action mission called mk82/84 unguided bombs in Nevada. First bug, totally unrelated to the subject, but still bugging, is the bombs quantity in the SMS page. It shows I have 6 mk82 and 6 mk84 while I only have two 84's.

Moving on, I like to find my target using the targeting pod and set a CCRP cue in order to bomb it.

I line up the TGP and lock on the target (IR point). I follow the CCRP cue. When close to the target (delay cue is still visible) I press and hold the pickle, instead of delaying the release, the bombs fall right when I pickle, thus falling way short of the target. This doesn't happen when I designate CCRP visually through the HUD and without using the TGP.

Second thing that happens is when using CCIP and having TGP displaying on one MFD. When set up - HUD as SOI, CCIP mode, the TGP is supposed to follow the pipper, providing a zoomed in view of the pipper's designation. The TGP does function as described, but the problem as described above occurs the same. I have a delay cue, press and hold the pickle, but the bomb is immediately released and fall short of the target.

Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?

I don't think from your description that you do anything wrong, but for me it works normally (CCRP I have to hold pickle until cue meet Velocity vector, and in CCIP pickle is instantaneous only if piper is true CCIP and not delayed one with delay cue still above the piper).

try some basics : delete pickle button and map it again, do a repair/cleanup of DCS ( https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/709/ )

Bingo! I think

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried to remap the pickle as suggested, but it didn't work.

After several tries, I managed to find a different root cause of this issue.

It's not the TGP, but setting an interval distance between release pulses.

In my first trials, I thought the TGP was to blame, but since I tried bombing using the initial settings and without changing anything in the bombing profile, but with the help of the TGP and it worked fine, I started to look for another culprit

Here's a conclusion of my trials:

[TABLE]Release pulses (#) Interval distance (ft.) Outcome

Default (1) Default (10) Works fine

6 200 Doesn't work

3 200 Doesn't work

1 10 (changed back from 200) Doesn't work

2 Default (10) Works fine[/TABLE]

Some other settings remain the same in all trials.

It seems that changing the interval distance causes some sort of an error.

Can I submit this as a bug to anywhere or anyone??

Zohardv,

Are you using Release or Open Beta? The F-16 has had quite a few fixes to SMS and weapons management since Release was last updated.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I might be insane, but....

Finally, I think it has to do with the direction of flight:doh:

I know, I know... I also didn't even considered this as a variable, BUT...

In this mission there is a row of vehicles stretching from north to south. The mission spawns you SE of the target, so in all of my attempts I followed the closest path and tried to run the column from south to north heading 355. As mentioned, a press on the pickle releases the bombs immediately and regardless of the required delay and the bombs fall short.

Now I tried the same profile, but running from north to south (heading 175) and the CCIP worked like a charm!

6x mk82s, 200ft apart, using TGP following the pipper, and delivering with delayed CCIP. The cuing works perfectly and the delay is kept while depressing the pickle. Bombs on target.

Am I going crazy here? :joystick:

Edited by Zohardv

Zohardv,

Are you using Release or Open Beta? The F-16 has had quite a few fixes to SMS and weapons management since Release was last updated.

I'm sorry, but I'm new to DCS. I just downloaded the F-16 through the built-in MODs manager. How can I tell if its a release or an open beta?

I'm sorry, but I'm new to DCS. I just downloaded the F-16 through the built-in MODs manager. How can I tell if its a release or an open beta?

No I mean the version of DCS.

There are two versions of DCS

Stable/Release which like it sounds is a pretty stable and majorly bug free version of the sim, but at times of great change in DCS ( like now ) can be quite out of date. Currently it’s about 6 months out of date. The aircraft only get updates when the base sim gets update so the Stable F-16 is 6 months old, development wise.

Beta is the version of DCS that gets all the latest updates, but inevitably gets more bugs. It also get the latest updates to all the aircraft. Most of the online community fly Beta as they all want to get their hands on the new stuff.

It all depends what you selected when you went to this page.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

You can tell which version you are running by starting DCS and looking at the bottom right hand corner of the main screen.

If it says 2.5.5.41371 then you are using Stable, if it says 2.5.6.47404 then you are on Open Beta.

If you’re using stable then your version of the F-16 will have many bugs that have subsequently been fixed.

I find it very accurate with dumb bombs using the TGP. Btw.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Thanks Deano87 for the thorough explanation.

My version of DCS is 2.5.5.41371 which I take is the stable one.

I guess I can either switch to the open beta, or wait for those bug fixes to become an official update. I think I'll go with the latter.

Anyways, if you happen to have the time, and you are using the open beta version of DCS, Try to fly this mission and see if the bug can be reproduced under the same conditions. I'm very curious.

Thanks anyway.

Zohardv

Thanks Deano87 for the thorough explanation.

My version of DCS is 2.5.5.41371 which I take is the stable one.

I guess I can either switch to the open beta, or wait for those bug fixes to become an official update. I think I'll go with the latter.

Anyways, if you happen to have the time, and you are using the open beta version of DCS, Try to fly this mission and see if the bug can be reproduced under the same conditions. I'm very curious.

Thanks anyway.

Zohardv

I don’t have a Stable install currently unfortunately. But all of the bugs you mentioned in the first post are no longer present in Beta as far as I can tell.

I would however suggest you check that in your gameplay/realism settings that everything related to simplified systems, game avionics or anything sounds similar is turned off, as that can often cause strange bugs.

Proud owner of: