P-51 Flaps during dogfight

ponch17

Hi

I do a quick video

And some time I am in a high pitch rate and i think i start to loose lift and (stall) start to roll on a wing. But If I set flaps 1 it's better but I loose speed/acceleration.

Question is

ON SIM: is that more easy to use flaps one sometimes in combat or flaps 1 during all fight

REALITY: when I see where is the flaps lever in the real p-51 I don t think it's made to be used in fight, right ?

thanks for your help

I notch down is ok, but it is more like last resort than viable tactics, In the first place keep speed up in mustang then you will not be needing that.

1st notch flaps speed limit is 400 IAS iirc, so you can do a lot with it, you can dive as well.

Against AI i have no experience, i loose horribly to any AI :P

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Hi

I do a quick video

And some time I am in a high pitch rate and i think i start to loose lift and (stall) start to roll on a wing. But If I set flaps 1 it's better but I loose speed/acceleration.

Question is

ON SIM: is that more easy to use flaps one sometimes in combat or flaps 1 during all fight

REALITY: when I see where is the flaps lever in the real p-51 I don t think it's made to be used in fight, right ?

thanks for your help

In real life, P-51 pilots used flaps in combat quite often; ergonomics was a very rare consideration in WWII cockpit design, but for the most part, the Mustang cockpit was pretty good for its era.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

I have read about mustangs using flaps in combat it was termed combat flaps well that’s the term this mustang pilot gave it and I assume that means first stage flaps. I find on occasions in dcs when pulling hard turns first stage flaps can stop a wing dropping, generally I don’t use them but on occasion against the 109s it can help. I also find the mustang handles better at high altitudes with first stage flaps.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

You can easily use a notch or two (or 3) in combat. Sure it bleeds speed, but it helps you achieve higher AOA in your turns without stalling.

I wouldn't go past 3 notches on flaps. You start to lose the benefit, and if you're flying that slow you'll cook the engine anyhow.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3