F10 / Mission Editor - Map drawing tools

PickleMonster

I've been mulling over why DCS is limited to circle trigger zones and how they could add a lot more information to players if they were enhanced.

Make Trigger zones full polygons. Allow the mission creator to map out a city or country as a trigger zone.

Add lua flags for the zones which allows them to be visible to players. Allow mission editors to change the colour, fill (solid, striped etc...), border, opacity, and a title for the area. Allow all this to be changed via script. You've now given mission editors a massive new tool to show mission progression. Map out air corridors and no-fly zones. Show where your AWACS and Tankers are active. Make F10 look like a proper mission briefing map.

Go one step further. We already export flightplans to kneeboard, allow it to be exported to the kneeboard.

Another thing we could improve is markers. At the moment it's a red circle with some text if you click on it. Allow mission makers to choose an icon and colour. Instead of swapping between just the icon and the full text, add a third option for a title. Make's things a lot more readable. This would make things so much better from a players perspective. Mission editors would be able to give meaningful information to players instead of a handful of red circles which could be anything. Players now also have a much better tool for sharing intelligence in MP.

Even better, allow players to "pin" a marker. Make pin's visible to the scripting system, pinned missions denote who's picked up a mission anyone? The notes attached to a marker are changable from the scripting engine? Add pinned players to the bottom of it. Export pinned markers to the kneeboard.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@Ahogephilia

:sorcerer:

Wish granted!

(The polygon trigger zones have been implemented a few updates ago) 

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 5 months later...

The tools of "draw" toolbars are very usefull in mission editor, but I think 3 things are missing.
- a "racetrack" shape - for example to sign the path of the tankers.
- possibility to put text in shapes.
- possibility to fix the textboxes' size.

• Like 1

Core i5 7500, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, GTX1070 8GB, Logitech G940 - All modules and maps except : CE2 (never... 🙂 )

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 5:47 AM, Thor_HUN said:

The tools of "draw" toolbars are very usefull in mission editor, but I think 3 things are missing.
- a "racetrack" shape - for example to sign the path of the tankers.
- possibility to put text in shapes.
- possibility to fix the textboxes' size.

And the ability to Copy and Paste Shapes

CPU: i9-12900K @ 4.9Ghz

M/B: MSI MEG z690 Ace

RAM: 128GB

Video Card: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X

VR: Varjo Aero