Bombing the the FW190 A8 - Sometimes bombs don't explode?

panzerd18

Hi, I am having trouble with bombing in the FW190 A8. I arm the bombs and set fuse to delay and dive bomb, however many times the bomb will not explode.

Am I too low when I drop and there is some type of safety device that only arms the bomb after a set time?

I cannot think of any other reason why the bomb will not explode?

I must be doing something wrong however using the same formula maybe 60% of the time the bomb explodes, other times its just a dud.

Using SC500J

Please forgive me, it was a key binding issue!

Also testing AB500 with SD2 and SD10. I believe you need to be high enough for the bomblets to disperse. Also SD2 are anti-personnel so not good for vehicles. Use SD10 whenever possible.

However a SC500 seems to work just as good and is easier to use compared to the AB500 SD10.

Yeah, I may have been too low as well now that I think of it. It was perhaps a bit of border case, but possible nonetheless. So case closed hopefully.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

For the bomblets you need to be high enough for the release mechanism.

But the general bombs sometimes don't explode. It's really annoying when you hit a ship perfectly, but the bomb doesn't explode. I even hit a tree once, and the bomb didn't explode, the tree otoh fell through the ground.

I made a test with unlimited ammo, and a few bombs didn't explode. I used delayed fusing. Have to do more tests.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

It would be interesting to know if it is intended or a bug

How do you think, real fuses had intended higher fail chance or it was a bug ??

Even it is a bug, it will be more realistic to leave it, and do not take intended actions to makes fuses fail.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Do you have some sources showing that delayed fuses on those bombs frequently failed?

Yes you can dig them up in my country, they are all over place.

Btw i said that they fail more frequent then instant fuses, if this is was frequent at all didn't say anything about that.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

How do you think, real fuses had intended higher fail chance or it was a bug ??

Even it is a bug, it will be more realistic to leave it, and do not take intended actions to makes fuses fail.

What the ...? :megalol: I was talking about DCS of course. If it is intended, what are the chances for every WWII Era Bomb to fail in DCS? Or is it only the german bombs? I haven't dropped many bombs with allied planes. But never had a bomb failed.

Spoiler

Btw i said that they fail more frequent then instant fuses, if this is was frequent at all didn't say anything about that.

:thumbup:

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Please forgive me, it was a key binding issue!

Also testing AB500 with SD2 and SD10. I believe you need to be high enough for the bomblets to disperse. Also SD2 are anti-personnel so not good for vehicles. Use SD10 whenever possible.

However a SC500 seems to work just as good and is easier to use compared to the AB500 SD10.

I've tried to find an explanation as to what the various varieties of bombs are to no avail. Can someone point me to a thread or explain?

Thanks

Do you have some sources showing that delayed fuses on those bombs frequently failed?

I think that @razo+r was asking for sources that we could read and thus verify the claim. This would allow determination of whether these were delay fuze failures, to which ordnance they apply, what the target/ground area was and (potentially) from which altitude they were dropped. I would certainly like something more academic than "they are all over place", which seems a bit of a hyperbole.

I've tried to find an explanation as to what the various varieties of bombs are to no avail. Can someone point me to a thread or explain?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4311484&postcount=5

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4242466&postcount=4

plus the references included in each

Even in Switzerland you find us bombs from ww2 which were dropped by mistake - reading maps and vfr navigation was not everyones strength during that time ;)

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I use the SC500 bombs quite regularly (always with delay because I'm no Kamikaze) and they rarely fail to explode. A certain rate of failures is totally realistic however, for bombs of all airforces. We see this even today: when there is a major construction project in Frankfurt, Berlin, Köln... it's not unusual at all that the excavation works are interrupted by a 500 or 1000 kg bomb that needs to be defused. Those were probably not delayed fuses as they were dropped from high altitude and there was no reason for delaying the blast.

Frankly I don't see why we need to ask for scientific evidence. Every mechanism we build has a certain probability of failure, and it would be a miracle if somebody could produce bombs by the millions, at acceptable cost, that have a zero failure rate. Of course, you could fill them with nitroglycerine and they wouldn't even need a detonator :).

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

Frankly I don't see why we need to ask for scientific evidence....

Who asked for scientific evidence?

This is a software. These software-bombs need proper hit-detection. Maybe there is a bug in the hit-detection of some bombs. Has anyone experienced this rate of unexploded bombs with US/UK bombs? Anyone seen the bombs dropped by B-17 to fail(graf spee, I'm talking about in game of course)? Or with any aircraft in DCS? Hence the question. Is it on purpose programmed that the bombs have a certain rate of failure, or is it a bug in the hit-detection? First case is fine, but then please for all bombs in game with realistic rates of failure.

Fox

Spoiler

I use the SC500 bombs quite regularly (always with delay because I'm no Kamikaze) and they rarely fail to explode. A certain rate of failures is totally realistic however, for bombs of all airforces. We see this even today: when there is a major construction project in Frankfurt, Berlin, Köln... it's not unusual at all that the excavation works are interrupted by a 500 or 1000 kg bomb that needs to be defused. Those were probably not delayed fuses as they were dropped from high altitude and there was no reason for delaying the blast.

Frankly I don't see why we need to ask for scientific evidence. Every mechanism we build has a certain probability of failure, and it would be a miracle if somebody could produce bombs by the millions, at acceptable cost, that have a zero failure rate. Of course, you could fill them with nitroglycerine and they wouldn't even need a detonator :).

Some high altitude dropped bomb were delayed.

Air raid end, people come to help.

Boom.

It happened.