ASRock A-tuning application for overclocking

Any of you folks familiar with the A-tuning application from ASRock?

I'm totally new to overclocking and trying to find out where to start. Reading through my motherboard manual (ASRock Z370 Extreme4), I read about this A-tuning tool.

This looks like a very accessible way for a beginner like me, to overclock my 8700K. However before I throw myself further into this, I've read some contradicting reports/reviews. Some are very positive and some really negative (the latter ones mainly on Reddit).

So any experience here with the A-tuning tool?

Do or don't?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

well while it may work these programs havr a tendency to overvolt. I would find a guide on overclockers.net or similar,,

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I take it this is overclocking software? I'll share with you the adventures this noob experienced with software OC'ing, and how I learned that it is never advisable to OC with software, lol. :D

I found some Intel overclock app and thought, "wow, if Intel made an overclock app for their own chips, then it must be good, right?!" Wrong, lol. Somehow, my PC did not like the OC it applied, so it crashed, as would be expected. Well, once I was able to boot back to the desktop, as soon as the software applied the OC, crash. Rinse, and repeat. I had roughly 4-5 seconds of time at the desktop before there was a crash, and there was nothing I could do about it except delete the software.

Now, the problem should have ended right there. Boot to Safe Mode, delete the app, and go on with life. This part probably wouldn't apply to you, but for some reason, Windows stopped recognizing my password as well, and I could not get into Safe Mode no matter what I tried. I couldn't use ANY repair tools, for that matter, either. Ended up getting a guy I fly with, who is really good with PCs, to help. We essentially hacked my computer and got me into Safe Mode, where I deleted the app and went on with life.

I have since learned how to OC within the BIOS, and now I completely understand why people say to avoid software overclocking tools. I would really, really avoid those, lol.

Again, I'm a noob to this stuff, and learning how to do it in the BIOS was actually pretty easy. Lots of guides and YouTube tutorials around to help. :thumbup:

ETA: I have not watched this, but I just typed your MoBo and "overclock" into YouTube search, and found this:

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I indeed read about this overvolting issue somewhere else as well Nephilin.

Thanks for sharing you experience CL30. That decides it for me then. Don't use OC tools

I also found that, and many other videos, but most of them are pretty fast and assume I already have some knowledge about this stuff, which I really don't :P

I did find a nice beginner's guide in my own native language, which is very helpful

It also made me doub't again, if my CPU is in fact bottlenecking my performance in DCS... I don't want to unnecessary take OC risks unless it would actually help performance.. so back to some more testing first

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

My motherboard (Asus B450-I Strix) has a built-in tool that automatically tunes OC settings and it seems to work fairly well. I think it's more of a look-up table based on your installed CPU and cooling solution, but it's something to look into if your mobo supports something similar.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

A-tune works ok, it's a bit funky, but all asrock software is like that. You can tune your voltage manually which is the way to go. I have my i5 8600k at a stable 4.9 with a-tuning. I dont remember the voltage, but it's nothing extreme.

Ok, thanks for all the advise guys

One more question:

I just checked my BIOS version (P3.10) and, when looking at ASRock's support page, it seems to be a really old version.

My first thought would be to update my BIOS to the most recent available version, before starting to try with some overclocking. However, all the warnings on ASRock's support website are kind of holding me back. What do you guys advise. My system is currently running fine, so best not to do a BIOS update then?

(about 20 years orso ago, I almost destroyed my pc, after trying to run a BIOS update while Windows was running. I didn't know that wasn't the way to do it :P. Luckily, briefly removing the small motherboard battery reset my BIOS and I was able to use it again. So, I'll have to first study on how to properly do a BIOS update. If you guys say, it's not needed, it'll save me some time :))

System specs: