Refueling the turkey

Sublimearrepentido

Guys..

I can trap

I can lgb. Bomb. Fly combat ops. Everything. I cant refuel to sace my life. Im losing my mind. Ive made custom missions using different tankers. Tried diff tanker speeds watched tutorials. Gotten soo soo close. Used bomb mode.

I just cant get it done.

Id try the use 1 engine throttle only but im working with a 40 dollar stick only and trackir.

Tips?

First practice formation flying regularly (daily) ... forget AAR. Practice closing on another plane and just fly close, then after 5 mins, swap to the other side. Keep doing it until you are happy.

Also, when you go back to AAR practice, if you're tired don't do it; if you're getting cross, stop and do something fun ... and remember to breath!

Edited by Kula66

You mean HOTAS X? I heard someone doing AAR with it on other module but it must be very challenging. Unfortunately better the stick - the easier it is.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

As others have said, the key is practice, practice, practice. But there is practice that helps, and practice that doesn't. I can tell you that it will take a while, and worse, for most of that while you will feel like you are not making any progress at all. I can tell you that one day it will click into place, and very soon after that, you will get it. You will still have a ways to go before you can comfortably and reliably do it every time, but still, you will get it. And on that day, you will be wearing a ear-to-ear grin for a week. You can spill coffee on yourself and be dumped by your SO and have your car wrecked and lose your job, but nothing will be able to take that grin away.

Do NOT start with the VIking.

Start with the KC-130, flying straight and level at 250-300 IAS.

At first, just try to fly in formation with wings in bomb mode and probe out. Get trimmed up so that you stay in formation for second or two even if your hand is off the stick brielfy.

Then set yourself the goal of getting plugged in. Stabilize in formation just behind the basket, then increase speed to plug, controlling for gain in altitude. Do not worry if you disconnect right after. Make it a point to get in some daily practice with 10 plugs ("contact!") minimum before you do anything else in DCS.

Then work on staying connected after plugging in (typically, by correcting the overcorrecting that you do after plugging).

Then work on staying connected for a full tank.

Then move to the KC-135, again, as straight and level.

Then move to the Viking, straight and level.

Then move back to the KC-130, but this time in a circular orbit. I find that HUD mode cruise helps so you have a reference as to your roll vs the tanker.

Then move to the KC-135, again in a circular orbit.

And finally, the Viking.

In between some of those later stages (especially after beginning to practice the orbiting tanking), move back to some of the straight-and-level ones to see how much you have improved. It will be remarkable!

Then work on staying connected till full.

Guys..

I can trap

I can lgb. Bomb. Fly combat ops. Everything. I cant refuel to sace my life. Im losing my mind. Ive made custom missions using different tankers. Tried diff tanker speeds watched tutorials. Gotten soo soo close. Used bomb mode.

I just cant get it done.

Id try the use 1 engine throttle only but im working with a 40 dollar stick only and trackir.

Tips?

Hi,

First: set wings to bomb mode.

Second: Did you set the axis curves for your joystick?

Guys..

I can trap

I just cant get it done.

Tips?

Trim it out. It's not just an annoying phrase to tease people, it's the bread and butter of everything. If you can't fly hands-off and stay in roughly the same position, you're just making life for yourself harder. Not only are you trying to put the thing in the thing, you're also fighting your trim.

Other than that, relax. Literally, when your shoulders tense up because you're trying so hard, you won't get in. That's the truth. Never works, for nobody. Even if you miraculously make it in, you won't be able to stay in all tensed up. Fight the urge to tense up.

And be patient. Set yourself up behind the basket, about 20 feet. Then stabilise. Don't even try to plug it in, just wait there for 5-10s, then gently ease the throttle forward a tiny bit. float into it and don't make any changes, either you're set up correctly or you're not. Don't try to "catch it" in the last second, that'll mess you up. If you miss, you miss. Try again, no big deal.

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

Thanks for the advice all.

Ive been practicing alot. I just dont get it besides I need more practice.

I CAN do whats said to be impossible. Ppl have said you maybe can fly a huey without rudder pedals but wont be goood. I say hold my joint..

I use a 40 dollar sidewinder 3d pro joy. Twisty for rudder.

Im.poor what can i say. It works...

Except for this refueling nightmare. I wouldmt care but its is important and being damiliar with how the US mil works aciation wise they all refuel almost every mission it feels criminal not knowing how to.

Further i feel cheated because its the only thing I cant do at all. I may not be greatest at case 3 or whatever. But I can do it i may not be great at RIO seat but I can do it.

But i cant refuel.

I know the 250 knots is slow..nand reading other threads saw 350 was better for practice and to try the kc135. Or kc130. Def not the viking though lol.

Ill keep trying :/

Believe me Ive practiced.. alot guys. Of course the advise to stop.when upset or annoyed is true. Its all a waste at that point and worse still I sometimed keep going anyways. Sigh. Im always so goddamned close.

I think.messing with curves and some stuff will help. Idk though.

Edited by Sublimearrepentido

The issue I have trouble with is seeing the refuelling pod as a reference point as opposed to the basket. I've tried various zoom positions but the cockpit bulkhead is in the way. Might get easier with VR (trying to get hold of a Rift S at the mo, but none available in UK).

What would you guys recommend for curves and dead zone for a logitech 3dpro

as little as possible, as with any stick. rudder you can add a bigger curve and deazone, so you do not get cross inputs from the twist stick.

I would start at 10 for pitch and roll and work myself up to 20 in steps of 2, probably settle around 13 to 15. Max deadzone on pitch and roll, if new 2, if older 4. The less the better.

Rudder around 40 curve even, and deadzone around 5.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

And, it's been mentioned before, but absolutely worth emphasizing --- do NOT look at the basket! Focus on the pod, and just keep track of the basket using your peripheral vision.

The issue I have trouble with is seeing the refuelling pod as a reference point as opposed to the basket. I've tried various zoom positions but the cockpit bulkhead is in the way. Might get easier with VR (trying to get hold of a Rift S at the mo, but none available in UK).

I've seen this advice before and I've followed it myself in the beginning. I also have a friend who didn't follow this advice and did just fine. Myself, I'm not following the pod anymore. At some point it just didn't feel right.. maybe it was the canopy bow being in the way. In the end, I think it's not a factor in what you're attempting to do. At least not a big one. Whatever your reference point is, you'll have to control the aircraft in relation to that reference point.

Now that I'm confident and relaxed in AAR, I find just looking at the basket much more reliable. What I'm saying is, don't focus on this question. The key is to relax, setup your control inputs so you can actually make small, precise corrections, relax some more and take your time with it. All those videos where some dude is leisurely swooping into the basket and is glued to that position are the result of many, many, many hours of practice. Those guys are just having fun and not thinking about the whole process too much. But they started out like everyone else, with tense shoulders, overcorrecting, PIOs and all the fun stuff that people learning have to endure.

Only thing is, you gotta push through it. It's the one thing where there's not a real magic trick to it. You have to keep at it until it becomes easier and eventually you'll start relaxing and then it just clicks and you found your own personal technique.

Bomb mode and all the other things still apply, of course, but those are fairly obvious and the OP knows about them, so I don't consider them some secret sauce to fix his problems.

I made it a habit to never correct people on spelling on the internet seriously. You can find mistakes in every single post if you look hard enough, it's really not worth the effort. It's all good, I know writing a post on a phone is annoying. :)

:book:

as little as possible, as with any stick. rudder you can add a bigger curve and deazone, so you do not get cross inputs from the twist stick.

I would start at 10 for pitch and roll and work myself up to 20 in steps of 2, probably settle around 13 to 15. Max deadzone on pitch and roll, if new 2, if older 4. The less the better.

Rudder around 40 curve even, and deadzone around 5.

Ok thanks. Id seen someones mention of their settings with their logitechb3d pro. My deadzone and curves are around 20-30 and like you said around 50.on rudder. Ill revisit the issue when I fly later today.

I know military bets have written real joysticks have much more resistance than what we use and gaming joysticks are way too twitchy. Sonce adding curbes and deadzone I have noticed better flying but I havent even attempted refueling in months Im so traumatized. ?(banjo plays in the distance,; Jester shouting "youre teasin it!!" *shudder* guys.. i think jester touched me)

I made it a habit to never correct people on spelling on the internet seriously. You can find mistakes in every single post if you look hard enough, it's really not worth the effort. It's all good, I know writing a post on a phone is annoying. :)

Thanks for more patience than I would have had. Have a beautiful weekend sir, and again please accept my sincerest apologies.

I know because certain spray tanned dudes everyone thinks americans have baby hands. Unfortunately I dont have them and my thumbs cover more than 1 key easily