Refueling the turkey

Sublimearrepentido

Yes, VR is great.

Refueling on S-3B Viking, lowering the seat made a great difference for me too. With normal position is barely se the tanker and struggle to maintain good visual reference.

A question about the S-3B: does it have a maximum amount of fuel to deliver ?

I know a F-14B could dry it down. But I can't go above 12 2000lbs, which must be less than 4 000lbs delivered.

Or am I doing something wrong ?

I can't even contact the S-3B anymore after that. It disappear from Jester and coms menu.

Honestly I tried the lowering view and transition but then with the Rift S I decided to just use the upper right canopy bow watching the S-3 tail until I am half way through hook as my visual references and not shift view after getting in. You might be tempted to peek at the basket a little more but for me it gives a little more of it in the field of view of the Rift S to line up a little better.

I had the same 12200 pound issue, the refuel probe switch is 2 positions, make sure it is all the way up to get the complete transfer!

I just wish I could stay connected during the transition from turn to level and vise versa. It feels like the hose is too rigid when that happens and just swings away even if you are in the middle of the connection zone. I actually have better luck connecting in a turn though.

Edited by Snake122

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

I know about the switch, I didn’t thought about it since the full internal fuel is 16 200lbs.

Thanks for the tip, I will try.

Yes, we have less room to move around with shorter hose on S-3B, but that’s good training.

After that KC-130 is piece of cake :thumbup:

But overall, I’m happy now of my tanker picture with wings in “bomb” mode and seat lowered, the pitch attitude gives me good enough visibility.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I know about the switch, I didn’t thought about it since the full internal fuel is 16 200lbs.

Thanks for the tip, I will try.

Yes, we have less room to move around with shorter hose on S-3B, but that’s good training.

After that KC-130 is piece of cake :thumbup:

But overall, I’m happy now of my tanker picture with wings in “bomb” mode and seat lowered, the pitch attitude gives me good enough visibility.

I technically said it wrong but you got my drift. There are 2 extended probe positions, to be fully correct it is a 3 position switch, your wing tanks do not get filled if in the first extend position. From the manual:

ALL EXTD - All extended, extends refueling probe and allows refueling of all tanks. Also resets WING/EXT TRANS switch to AUTO.

FUS EXTD - Fuselage extended, extends refueling probe and allows refueling of only fuselage tanks.

RET - Retracted, retracts refueling probe.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

I technically said it wrong but you got my drift. There are 2 extended probe positions, to be fully correct it is a 3 position switch, your wing tanks do not get filled if in the first extend position. From the manual:

ALL EXTD - All extended, extends refueling probe and allows refueling of all tanks. Also resets WING/EXT TRANS switch to AUTO.

FUS EXTD - Fuselage extended, extends refueling probe and allows refueling of only fuselage tanks.

RET - Retracted, retracts refueling probe.

I didn’t read the manual carefully enough :doh: I thought it would just cut off external tanks in first position.

Thanks, now it makes sense.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

In the Caucasus IA refuel fight recover I usually get to over 14k lbs before the tanker disconnects. It does so because he's empty now and no longer able to refuel anyone. That cancels his refueling task so he's no longer available in the comms as a tanker.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Thanks guys.

I started my training with 50% internal fuel and empty external tanks =8228lbs.

The S-3B is full = 17288lbs

I was surprised by the disconnection, but it was S-3B retracting the hose because of bingo.:D

I got to about 18200bs, so slightly above 10 000lbs of fuel delivered.

I was thrown off a little bit by the turn, but I managed to stay connected. Fun exercise to practice handling.

Still room for improvement, especially to do it relaxed :D

Seat in the lowest position.

Mirage fanatic !