AIM-9 doubts

Top Jockey

Hello, 2 questions regarding AIM-9 employment on the Hornet:

- one of the little triangle carets around the ASE circle (which means Rne - No escape range) is missing ?

(I remember there used to be 3 of those carets.)

- my loadout is 2 x AIM-9L + 2 x AIM-9M, but the version shown at the HUD is always 4 x the type selected (either L or M)... is this how it works in real life ?

Thank you.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

You should be able to step to different weapons either with the STEP push button on the STORES page or by subsequent actuations of the key bindings/HOTAS for AIM-9. The HUD indication for type of weapon should reflect the weapon on the priority station (e.g. what will leave the aircraft the next time you pull the trigger).

Thank you for your input, the issue is:

Lets suppose my loadout is: 1 AIM-9L + 1 AIM-9M + 2 AIM-9X

When I select AIM-9L, the HUD shows: 9L 4

When I select AIM-9M, the HUD shows: 9M 4

When I select AIM-9X, the HUD shows: 9X 4

Well, since the aircraft is obviously not carrying 4 of each type, I think it is deceptive logic wise...

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Thank you for your input, the issue is:

Lets suppose my loadout is: 1 AIM-9L + 1 AIM-9M + 2 AIM-9X

When I select AIM-9L, the HUD shows: 9L 4

When I select AIM-9M, the HUD shows: 9M 4

When I select AIM-9X, the HUD shows: 9X 4

Well, since the aircraft is obviously not carrying 4 of each type, I think it is deceptive logic wise...

It does the same thing with 120C X 4 and 120B X4 It will show 8 AB or 8AC depending on step selection. I think it's just a shortcut to let the pilot know how many missiles are left, without making the distinction between the variants and avoid cluttering the HUD

It does the same thing with 120C X 4 and 120B X4 It will show 8 AB or 8AC depending on step selection. I think it's just a shortcut to let the pilot know how many missiles are left, without making the distinction between the variants and avoid cluttering the HUD

Yep I get it, but it would just take to change the correct letter for the selected missile type.

Regarding the Rne - No escape range caret, why does it appear only sometimes ?

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Probably not the most logistically practical thing to have multiple missile types on the boat. You’d have to suspect that any missile load out wouldn’t be mixed. Maybe on land but if you had a mix of types it might make sense to load per aircraft. Maybe a reasoning for the Omission on the HUD symbology.

i5-10600KF, 16Gb DDR4, GTX1660 Super, HP Reverb G2, TM Cougar, TM Warthog

I suspect its because its more valuable to know you have 4 heaters (or actives) left than it is to know that you have 2 of the currently selected type of heater.

As for the Rne caret, sometimes it overlaps with one of the other carets. It could be that Rne and Rmax are the same for example.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Thank you @Swiftwin9s, posted my edit the same time as you answered.

About Rne caret, didn't thought about that... but confusing still...

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I suspect its because its more valuable to know you have 4 heaters (or actives) left than it is to know that you have 2 of the currently selected type of heater.

As for the Rne caret, sometimes it overlaps with one of the other carets. It could be that Rne and Rmax are the same for example.

Again about this, indeed you nailed it.

When the 3rd caret (supposedly the Rne caret) was missing, I was flying right in the bandit's 6 o'clock pursuit (custom mission) for testing stuff.

And after changing my flight path to intercept it more from the side - there it was the Rne caret, comming out from the Rmax caret.

Which makes me suppose that:

When in a straight 6 o'clock pursuit, the "system" assumes that the maximum range for missile intercept must imperatively also be the same that if the target started maneuvering (Rne) in that moment...

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

- one of the little triangle carets around the ASE circle (which means Rne - No escape range) is missing ?

(I remember there used to be 3 of those carets.)

Couple things to note. The NIRD is a normalized display, meaning, the Rmin and Rmax will always be at 2:30 and 6 o’clock position, respectively. Rne will move in accordance with Vc, range, aspect, among other things. Whether due to how you are employing or degraded sensor, there are a variety of things that can cause Rne to not be displayed. Because Rmax and Rmin are fixed, they will almost always show up. I don’t know about the other comments re: overlap. When range to target is below Rmax, the attack format will display max aspect value between 0 and 18. Max aspect is the degrees/10 that a target would be required to turn to defeat a shot. Thus, Rne is the by definition the same as range where max aspect is 18. So, from Rmax (fixed at 6 o’clock) to the dynamically generated Rne, will correspond to a max aspect increasing from 0 to 18 as actual range moves from Rmax to Rne. All that said, the hornet is not without a few bugs, so it’s possible the MC is doing something odd where 0 angle off Rne is being obscured by Rmax. But like I said, there are other things that can cause Rne to not show on NIRD.

Radar isn’t required to employ aim-9s obviously. Whether tactical offensive considerations or being jammed, if employed without radar assistance (or AOT), NIRD (and steering cues, etc) are not necessarily shown. If the seeker is uncaged with no L&S, such as when using HMD with 9X’s or Boresight, then no range or steering cues are shown. IIRC, if a l&s exists when seeker is uncaged then range cues should still be displayed (but not steering cues iirc... If I wasn’t on phone I’d double check, might have last two backwards). Point being, the seeker tones provide an audible indication of lock to you and sms, but are only indirectly related to range. Even then the minimum tone can be overridden via OVRD if trying to lock up a target at long range or low heat signature (not sure if this is in yet). If you are being jammed and radar cannot resolve range, symbology will be degraded as well. Might still see ASE with partial NIRD, such as fixed Rmin and Rmax but no Rne or ownship to target hash. This wouldn’t explain your experience given 18’s radar not susceptible to jamming yet, but point being if you are uncaging seeker and radar is not resolving range and aspect, you won’t have Rne carrot on NIRD.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about