FPS performance loss with Tacview enable

Pochi

Hi,

I am quite new to DCS and currently in the process of building a little training mission using the 476th NTTR template. However, I noticed very bad performance when launching the mission where I can maintain 60fps in the same area on another mission. Of course I guessed it was due to the high number of object in the template, so I deleted most of them except the one I needed. But performance was still crappy. So I remembered that Tacview could impacts performances when it has to record lot of objects. I deactivated Tacview in the settings and voila my FPS are back.

Sadly, I can not analyze my training with Tacview anymore. Is there something I can tweak so I could maintain my FPS with Tacview still activated? What bugs me is that after deleting lots of NTTR templates objects, I do not have that much objects in the mission when comparing to the missions available with the module. I wonder if all the waypoint ring I can see in the ME are counted as objects? Is there a way to know how many objects there are in a mission?

Thanks for help,

Best regards,

Pierre

Tha sounds very itressting, I need to check if Tacview also effects my FPS performance.

i7-8700K / 32GB RAM @3000 / 1TB M.2 SSD / Asus RTX 2080 Ti OC

VR- Gamer: Valve Index

Flight Gear: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Thrustmaster TPR / 3x Thrustmaster MFD / Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

So I found out all the red units were hidden in the 476th templates, newbie me. And that’s an outrageous number of objects tracked by Tacview explaining the performance drop. I ended deleting most of those not used in my mission.

I also noticed while populating Nellis AFB that some static airplanes models are far heavier than others, and that is mainly all aircrafts that have a module counterpart.

Hope it may help others in the future,

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem around here. Having TACVIEW data capture enabled implies a massive FPS loss in VR of 45 to 30-29.

In the missions that we usually fly in my squad we usually use the TACVIEW a lot to check the progress and it is shit the loss of performance that we have, and also it greatly affects the performance on MP servers.

Any solution for this?

Edited by Werewolf_fs

• 2 weeks later...

My FPS more than doubled with Tacview disabled. I noticed in task manager a CPU thread was maxed out and GPU was only utilized at ~30%. GPU utilization went up to ~70% with it disabled.

Edited by Mortisrose

i7 7700k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500 GB NVMe m.2 SSD, Trackir 3 Pro, Gunfighter Mk I w/MCG; Mod. TM Cougar throttle and Mod. CH Pro Pedals w/Pro Micro + MMjoy2, Nostromo n52

My FPS more than doubled with Tacview disabled. I noticed in task manager a CPU thread was maxed out and GPU was only utilized at ~30%. GPU utilization went up to ~70% with it disabled.

GPU Utilization as well as CPU, varies greately every single moment, slight differences can mean big changes in the numbers, there may have been a change of circumstances between your observations. It must be some bug that I'm not seeing because I didn't see it here, but I had TacView disabled for many months unknowingly as I forgot to turn it on and then I tested a lot without it, I'll see again.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

This is wicked. Apparently Tacview was responsible for my fps drop as well, just disabled it in the module manager to see if it makes a difference and I was having literally the same performance as in 49798 again. But as with that, it still leaves me with the fps dropping down to 30ish as soon as I move my head. 2.5.5 didn't have that...

At least I'm not stuck having to fly in the 20-30fps range anymore twi-notbad.png

Of course it would be preferrable if Tacview would work without affecting DCS performance, and I dare to say the culprit lies on ED's end since it worked fine in the SC release version.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I tried it now and currently I'm not seeing this problem with my current circumstances, TacView only took 0.55 CPU on it's main thread while the other two trailed at ~0.05

Circmustances: F-18C on Caucasus with the 2.5.6.50793 OB (along with the tech specs in the signature below, GPU Driver is Radeon Software 20.1.3)

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I have a feeling that exports took a major hit in one of the last updates.

I ended up disabling all of mine; TacView, VAICOM Pro, Witchcraft.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

• 2 weeks later...

In my typical "worst case scenario" benchmark mission (a heavy Liberation dynamic campaign mission in the Tomcat, sitting on the ground), just turning Tacview off gave me back 7-10 FPS. In my case, it seemed to be hurting my CPU frametime with almost no change on the GPU side. These numbers are from the 2.5.6.50979 open beta in VR. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I don't remember Tacview having this kind of FPS hit a few versions ago.

AJS-37 / F-5E / F-14B / F-86F / FC3 / Ka-50 / M-2000C / UH-1H

Specs: GTX 1080Ti / R5 3600 / 32GB DDR4 / Samsung Odyssey+

Can you guys use Process Hacker and look how much Tacview's specific threads use, and post a screenshot when you think it's the highest?

It's like a more advanced task manager, you click properties on DCS.exe and then to the Threads tab in the new dialog, then you'll see tacview.dll in the Start Address column, click on the column head to sort it to alphabetic order to group all of the tacview threads together.

However, I guess I should remembered the fact that this may not be full proof in my case either, some work that's needed by tacview could be happening on other threads without it showing up so obviously so I would need to do a more thorough test later, I didn't compare actual FPS, sorry about that, I only looked at the thread's CPU time numbers.

But we could compare the tacview thread numbers and get a good idea if my hunch is correct or not.

• 11 months later...
En 22/5/2020 a las 3:32, Werewolf_fs dijo:

Actually lost fps with Tacview. DCS 2.7

VR QUEST2, i5 96000k, 2080 Super and 32Gb Ram. With Tacview active 10-11fps, without Tacview 35-40fps in Multiplayer.

i dont understand where is the problem.

Edited by pjracdc

• 2 weeks later...

Just having the Tacview scripts, even existing files as in just residing in the ../Saved Games/DCS/Scripts folder, and even with the DCS Options to disable Tacview, will kill my FPS by as much as -40-50%! This is after the latest 2.7.2.x beta update, my system went into 'crawl mode' and extreme FPS loss.

The files are in ../Saved Games/DCS/Scripts :
  Export.lua  and TacviewGameExport.lua

I installed Tacview about the time I updated to the latest 2.7.2x Beta, so it was my bad not to chase this down earlier. Anyway, got it figured out finally... remove those Tacview script files as shown above, re-launch and your good to go.

---

Edited by Noluck
  • Like 1

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

• 6 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 2:03 AM, Noluck said:

Just having the Tacview scripts, even existing files as in just residing in the ../Saved Games/DCS/Scripts folder, and even with the DCS Options to disable Tacview, will kill my FPS by as much as -40-50%! This is after the latest 2.7.2.x beta update, my system went into 'crawl mode' and extreme FPS loss.

I have tacview enabled all the time and I did not notice this. (at the moment I can not test to see if disalbing causes the FPS to increase).

However, my CPU is capable of running up to 5 GHz.

I gather this would affect older generation of CPUs more?