TrackIR Issues

I am entering the air-to-air arena and I have started some 1v1 engagements with AI. I'm flying the Hornet and honestly, I'm getting my butt handed to me by a MiG-21. Now I know a big factor is my inexperience as a dogfighter; I fully acknowledge that. However, I am frustrated because it seems that I am not able to fully look at the sky above my canopy and I cannot visually track my opponent the way I think I should. This, in turn, causes my SA to go in the toilet. I find myself making donuts in the sky trying to find the guy and he is setting on my six ready to spank me.

I went back into the TrackIR setup to see if there was any "catches" in my field of view and I cannot not see anything obvious.

Has anyone else had this issue with TrackIR and how to did fix it?

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

Yes, and half of it is learning to keep my head steady.

Sure, playing with curves is important, as is having your TrackIR in a position to allow full motion, but DCS won't let you go back more than 180 degrees in any direction.

But my biggest problem was getting all out of position in my chair; now the zero-point on my trackIR has moved and nothing works right. The smoother you can move your head, and the better you can keep your body alignment, the better it works.

Which doesn't stop me from loosing sight and flying donuts in the sky trying to find the guy (gal?) and she is on my six...

You might start by flying against an F-14. Easier to spot, and you can work on technique. Go guns only on the bad guys and dial back their skill level. Step one is SA. Step two is maneuvering. Step three is keeping 2 120s and 2 9xs for those days when steps 1 and 2 don't work, and you get frustrated.

Credibility is DOWN, kill ratio is UP!

Switch to the camera view in the TrackIR software and see if it's losing sight of the sensors when you look up. If so, reposition the camera or your clip, or adjust curves.

Also, if you wear glasses, see if those show in the camera view. If so, modify the TrackIR light settings until they are minimized, or your ambient light. Also ensure there are no light sources behind you.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Yeah, when we merge, he streaks by and I can never see which way he is turning. If you have the Hornet, you may know the practice mission I am talking about.

It says in the brief that the skill level is random so "you never know what you are gonna get". I've tried building my own missions and that hasn't worked out very well yet. They don't engage me for some reason.

Anyway, I'm new to this arena as I have been ground pounding in the Hog for many years and I have to learn a whole new skill set.

Nevertheless, the TrackIR thing is driving me crazy and making me feel half-blind when the other guy can, apparently, see me very well.

Any additional advice would welcome.

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

Good point! Yes, I do wear glasses (readers). Indeed, that might be screwing with the TrackIR.

Thanks, I will research that in my setup.

System Specs:

It says in the brief that the skill level is random so "you never know what you are gonna get". I've tried building my own missions and that hasn't worked out very well yet. They don't engage me for some reason.

Anyway, I'm new to this arena as I have been ground pounding in the Hog for many years and I have to learn a whole new skill set.

Nevertheless, the TrackIR thing is driving me crazy and making me feel half-blind when the other guy can, apparently, see me very well.

Any additional advice would welcome.

The AI is all knowing. Heck, they can smell an IR missile launch from ten miles away, knows your exact position anywhere in the universe, and even if it's in an I-16 it can can out run, out climb, and out turn an F-16. It really doesn't matter if you quit DCS and start flying in 'A Simulator that Cannot Be Named', it will suddenly appear and smite you. Think Yul Brynner in Westworld... Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but pretty close.

As for making your own missions, set your enemy aircraft to attack/intercept your aircraft at WP0. Or, just copy the training mission to your missions folder and edit it. That's how I got started figuring out the mission editor.

The camera view advice is gold. Make sure it sees you in the center of the camera or you're going to get into trouble somewhere.

In TIR I have increased the angle of the curves fairly dramatically. If I turn my head about 80 deg left or right, my view on screen goes to about 185 deg. I have also increased my 'up' curve but left down pretty normal. Before each flying session I check on the TIR screen that when I look up I go past two of the 90 deg lines and looking down I go past one of the 90 deg lines. I usually have to reposition my head set up or down a little to get both ends to be correct. Also, on that little display at the top right of the TIR setup screen make sure that the three green dots representing your track clip are centered L to R and UP to DOWN. Adjust the sensor sitting on top of your screen to do this. I use the trakclip pro mounted on my headset on the left side. Sometimes it gets squeezed in too close to my head so my forehead blocks it when I turn left. Mine is almost as far as it is possible from the side of my head. Also the sensor on top of my screen is offset to the left of screen center by maybe 4-5 inches. Since my wife is working from home due to covid, I notice that sometimes when she walks behind me it messes up TIR. I assume it picks up her movement. Even when she isn't here I sometimes get a problem w/ the sunlight illuminating something behind me. I have pinned a towel over a window or a door to block the sunlight.

i had initial troubles with Track IR when I first got it. this video helped a lot. something else i have done which i had not seen anyone say in anything i have viewed is where to place the camera. i measured the point from my nose to the Track IR LEDs. place camera centerline on your monitor same distance from the measurement from nose to LEDs. so 6" or whatever to the left side on monitor.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Yeah, when we merge, he streaks by and I can never see which way he is turning. If you have the Hornet, you may know the practice mission I am talking about.

On that issue, the simplest thing to do is load the mission into Mission Editor and change the skill level of the enemy plane to the lowest, and gradually work your way up.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box