[W.I.P]ALE-47 Should Not Require Master Arm

FightsOn

The ALE-47 should be able to be programmed / fired without the Master Arm switch being armed. That’s why “dispenser” is in the landing checklist...so that flares/chaff aren’t accidentally fired in the landing pattern.

The whole (E)CM suite is still missing a lot of features and will have to be adressed by the devs soon. I'm pretty sure they will correct this issue as part of this (E)CM overhaul.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

Hi all

We have reported the ALE-47 can not be programmed with weight on wheels, and we still have some work to do on the ALE-47.

I am not seeing any information that clearly states master arm is not required however.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all

We have reported the ALE-47 can not be programmed with weight on wheels, and we still have some work to do on the ALE-47.

I am not seeing any information that clearly states master arm is not required however.

thanks

You even confirmed as a bug / error. I insert a link below. For the ALE-39 which was used on the F/A-18 it would be real. But here the ALE-47 is used which does not require Master Arm On.

Along with the fact that it is not possible to program countermeasures on the ground, the requirement for a master arm is a rather annoying problem that lasts quite a long time. I'm very please to you to fix it :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=224557

• ED Team
Can you provide any information that clearly states master arm is required?

No

You see the predicament we are in :)

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have heard several hornet pilots on these forums state they can adjust the CMDS programs while on the ground. What do your SMEs say?

The bug in question here is not that the programs cannot be changed with WoW, that has been reported and is confirmed to be getting fixed.

The bug we are talking about is the inability to dispense countermeasures without having the master arm set to arm.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

No

thanks

Looks rather simple to me. If no indication it should be required then why go that way? Might as well tie it to a bleed air switch position or nav lights...

Same for the F-5E AIM-9 tone, but I digress...

Thanks for trying to improve things.

No

thanks

If it's not explicitly stated anywhere that the Master Arm has to be On, it's strange that it became a requirement in DCS in the first place. As it is, it's very inconvenient and even dangerous to the pilot. In the event of a surprise launch, MArm would probably be Off, for example, requiring the pilot to to take the left hand hand off the throttle, flip MArm, grab the throttle again and hit the dispense button, before CMs can be deployed.

If it's for safety reasons on the carrier deck etc, this should be taken care of by WonW.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Barring further information becoming available, you can look at what the military does elsewhere, as in other aircraft. Generally the military has some kind of plan -- I know it's not always so -- but if ALL other aircraft do not require the master arms switch to be on, it's a good indication that the F/A-18C does not either.

One might also ask experts, like on The Fighter Pilot's Podcast. I imagine the information will be quickly forthcoming and correct.

As a bit of anecdotal evidence, I saw a video in which an actual former Harrier pilot flew around in the DCS Harrier -- it was amazing to see how easily he controlled the Harrier in hover -- and at one point he dropped bombs, and then explicitly stated that he switched master arms off, 'because you don't want to accidentally drop bombs on the wrong target'. But if master arms were required for chaff and flares, you would need it on anytime you were anywhere near possible enemies, and basically make the statement kind of strange, like what about self-protection.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Barring further information becoming available, you can look at what the military does elsewhere, as in other aircraft. Generally the military has some kind of plan -- I know it's not always so -- but if ALL other aircraft do not require the master arms switch to be on, it's a good indication that the F/A-18C does not either.

One might also ask experts, like on The Fighter Pilot's Podcast. I imagine the information will be quickly forthcoming and correct.

As a bit of anecdotal evidence, I saw a video in which an actual former Harrier pilot flew around in the DCS Harrier -- it was amazing to see how easily he controlled the Harrier in hover -- and at one point he dropped bombs, and then explicitly stated that he switched master arms off, 'because you don't want to accidentally drop bombs on the wrong target'. But if master arms were required for chaff and flares, you would need it on anytime you were anywhere near possible enemies, and basically make the statement kind of strange, like what about self-protection.

Just chiming in to verify that the F-16 does not require Master Arm on to use the ALE-47 system.

That doesn't mean with any certainty on the F/A-18 that it isn't required but it doesn't make much sense for it to be required.

• 3 weeks later...