The engine does not overheat

oreste

I thought to discuss this because I read that the plane was born with serious overheating problems of the powerful radial engine, they had to build a special system with ring radiator and an additional fan. In the end they managed to get a fairly narrow and aerodynamic nose but they have had to struggle to have the same cooling power and I don't think it was as efficient as in the game, probably it had to be at least adjusted according to the revolutions or the speed of the vehicle as is also done in the FW 190 Dora.I noticed that in Anton it is never necessary and I have never exceeded even half of the dial as heating the engine even at very high engine speeds, on the contrary the first times I played the F 8, several months ago this still happened, care had to be taken to maintain the engine at an optimal temperature. I hope I have been of help, mine is not a criticism and I admire your work. Respectful regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

An interesting find, because IIRC, ED's main developer Yo-Yo said overheating was never a problem with this particular subtype. Hmmm...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Thanks for the quick answers, I immediately go to read those discussions, forgive me but I tried to find if there were other discussions on the subject but I had not found them.

The overheating problems of the early Antons were long fixed until the A8 was produced. The original prototype aircraft prone to overheating still had the BMW 139 engine and a different spinner design.

Later they switched to the BMW 801, with the C series powering the early Fw190As. The BMW 801 D, found in the later A series planes was especially improved to deal with the overheating problems.

But most importantly Focke Wulf added additional gills in the cowl behind the exhaust stacks to improve air flow with Fw190 A2, that were refitted to some older machines.

With the Fw 190 A5 the plane got the adjustable cowl flaps instead of the fixed gills, also featured in our A8.

I am happy to know that the latest versions had solved the problem, probably afflicted the planes of the first version, I quote the text that I had read on wikipedia to make it clear why they seemed strange. In any case I am happy to know that who can fly on the historical reconstructions of the aircraft confirm that the temperatures are always very good.

wiki

"BMW 801

The planes equipped with this engine continued to fly for a long time with operational and reliability limitations, given the overheating caused by the problems due to the great power contained in a very "tight" cowling. Forced ventilation helped this configuration by virtue of the presence of a fan rotating at 3.3 times the propeller speed. Obviously this also involved a "waste" of part of the power supplied, but the solution was considered satisfactory. "

I thought to discuss this because I read that the plane was born with serious overheating problems of the powerful radial engine, they had to build a special system with ring radiator and an additional fan. In the end they managed to get a fairly narrow and aerodynamic nose but they have had to struggle to have the same cooling power and I don't think it was as efficient as in the game, probably it had to be at least adjusted according to the revolutions or the speed of the vehicle as is also done in the FW 190 Dora.I noticed that in Anton it is never necessary and I have never exceeded even half of the dial as heating the engine even at very high engine speeds, on the contrary the first times I played the F 8, several months ago this still happened, care had to be taken to maintain the engine at an optimal temperature. I hope I have been of help, mine is not a criticism and I admire your work. Respectful regards

The main proof that engine didn't have overheating problems is, that plane don't have head temp gauge in cockpit. Cylinders heads were so cool that they didn't bother with punting any temp gauge

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 1 year later...

This engine has something like 100hp or more fan which blow air through engine, this is unique feature all other will cook if you do that.

But if you look close on temp gauge there are hand made marks and i think 82 is close to redline mark i think.

@Lixma 06 try set up as high as possible ambient temp then do the test.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

in the Russian forum I read that ED introduced a new engine cooling couple of updates ago, however I haven't seen anything in the release notes... not sure if this guy is making stuff up, however he's very active in WWII modules..

translated:

Somehow "quietly" the process of adding a new cooling model for piston engines went through, IMHO the question is actually very interesting and important. I would like to ask Dmitry Yo-Yo (if there is time and desire) to describe (as was done as usual for engines and systems related to them) what is the meaning, differences and basic principles of the new cooling model

10 hours ago, grafspee said:

try set up as high as possible ambient temp then do the test.

This is on the Marianas map - 40°C max in the mission editor. Ran the test again and the temp reached 102°C (limit on gauge is 95ish) and stayed there until fuel ran out - 51mins total test time.

Wonder how engine life time was reduced after this engine run up 102C, probably to 5 hours maybe definitely you don't want to do that in RL.

2 hours ago, Lixma 06 said:

This is on the Marianas map - 40°C max in the mission editor. Ran the test again and the temp reached 102°C (limit on gauge is 95ish) and stayed there until fuel ran out - 51mins total test time.

wow.. this is cool.. i've never seen it reach such high temps! .. So those louvers (sic?) can actually be used for their purpose to cool off the motor. But the engine won't die, that's for sure. I once ran it with 0 oil pressure for 25 minutes flying back from Dover to Dunkirk ...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

wow.. this is cool.. i've never seen it reach such high temps! .. So those louvers (sic?) can actually be used for their purpose to cool off the motor. But the engine won't die, that's for sure. I once ran it with 0 oil pressure for 25 minutes flying back from Dover to Dunkirk ...

The cooling gills might as well not be there....makes me wonder.

1 hour ago, Lixma 06 said:

The cooling gills might as well not be there....makes me wonder.

Not necessary we only see small portion of engine operation, lat say that engine supposed to last 300h. Then yeah you need to be below 80C oil temp, of you want 10 hour engine you can go for 100+ oil temp.

Those limits are set for long term use, exceeding oil temp will kill your engine for sure but not in 30 min or 40min maybe in 2-3 hours.

I will state this again games which model engine damage on timers so for example engine limit is 5 min at 1.4 ata and if you pass this mark engine blows up is just BS.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
On 5/1/2020 at 8:48 AM, oreste said:

We have a number of documents both German and Allied that state this engine setup was very good and didn't have issues with overheating, you can overheat it, but you have to do bad things in flight to do so. Now, if we had a system in place that your engine followed you with every start up, you may find more issues, but right now, imagine you are starting with a factory fresh engine each time, and no saboteurs had access to it.

This aircraft was born of any issues they had previous to it. Also without the boost system, there is less stress as well, maybe things will change if/when that comes with an F-8.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, peachmonkey said:

in the Russian forum I read that ED introduced a new engine cooling couple of updates ago, however I haven't seen anything in the release notes... not sure if this guy is making stuff up, however he's very active in WWII modules..

translated:

Somehow "quietly" the process of adding a new cooling model for piston engines went through, IMHO the question is actually very interesting and important. I would like to ask Dmitry Yo-Yo (if there is time and desire) to describe (as was done as usual for engines and systems related to them) what is the meaning, differences and basic principles of the new cooling model

The Anton was released with the new cooling system, as was the P-47, the water cooled motors have not received it yet. Basically the new system allows for more realistic behaviors, such as overheating, etc.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png