What's my bottleneck?

Slick Fork

Hey guys,

I'm struggling to get good frames in DCS and I'm not sure why. I've done the optimisation guide with new VR shaders and use all the recommended settings...

My system is as follows:

DCS on an SSD

I7-6700K at stock

Nvidia 2070SC

16gb ram

Oculus Rift S

Any thoughts?

There is a simple test you can do .. lower your graphics quality settings a bit. If the fps keep more or less the same, then the cpu is your bottleneck; if the fps improve a bit, then your graphics card us the limiting factor.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Based on current state (5/1/2020) and issues reported on these forums with performance in recent patches...

Order of potential improvement....

1. DCS needs tuning/patching

2. 32Gb of RAM running 3200-3600 (you need to move data between CPU-RAM-GPU as efficiently as possible, and DCS is a RAM hog)

3. OC your CPU to as close to 5Ghz as you can get it to feed your GPU. (single threaded CPU performance is the most important factor once everything else is tuned as well as you can get it)

Thanks for the tips guys.

I replaced my ram with an upgrade to 32gb of 3600 and got my CPU OC'd to 4.3. The difference in the RAM alone is night and day.

Strangely - the carrier bogs me right down and the hornet and tomcat both are way slower than the Mirage/A-10c/F-5e

You should be able to get way higher than 4.3ghz. Also turn off hyperthreading, that alone can give you about 10% more single threaded performance.

I'll check out the hyperthreading. I don't know that any other programs need/use it.

I think my motherboard is crap. My original Asus died last year and I had to settle for a pretty crappy bottom tier Gigabyte, it's all that was out there. Maybe I'll get a good back to school sale on something.

Doesn't seem to matter how much voltage I throw at it, 4.4 crashes under about 10 minutes of stress. 4.5 is an instant crash with Prime95.