BF109K4 With 1- 0 radiator

Can 1 radiator cool the engine of a K4 with MW50 at full throttle?

-Left radiator turned off

-radiator Auto

-The automatic now opens the radiator a little more

DCS says 10+ minutes no problems yet

is this representation realistic?

Edited by Hobel

Depends on speed. If you slow down enough your temp will go up. Even with both radiators working sometimes i get small spike in coolant temp.

Try set up 1 radiator and try climb with below 200 kph.

ambient temp will have great impact too. flying in temps around 30C will make things much more dificult to keep temps down.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Don't know but when I stretch it too far mine breaks every now and then even with both radiators working. How long exactly it would take depends on a number of parameters like altitude, airspeed, temperature, pressure, wind, humidity etc

15°C, sea ​​lvl 570-600kmh

It even works for a long time(30min)when both are switched off :joystick:

Edited by Hobel

It even works for a long time(30min)when both are switched off :joystick:

Than this is not modeled in DCS, cutting off all radiators would cook engine even when running idle.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Than this is not modeled in DCS, cutting off all radiators would cook engine even when running idle.

If I fly too slowly, it happens very quickly

So it has an impact somehow

High speed tests during production were done with the radiators closed, at full throttle, special boost if fitted or military power if without, opened when starting to overheat to give the best possible speed result, after 1 minute for the 601A/N, ten minutes for the 601E/F, 2 minutes for the 605A/B/AS and ten minutes for the 605D series. Afterwards, due to cylinder heating the engine required a 30 minute cooldown with radiators opened full and reduced power settings. Once you heat the motor it needs the long cooldown, continuing to over boost or full military power with radiators shut and the engine overheating will, of course destroy the motor quite quickly and it won't cool before the 30 minutes with radiators open, so you can't open it up again until later or you destroy the motor.

The Heinkel fighter that competed with the 109 for the military contract back in 38 had a novel idea of the entire radiator being extendable and it was a bit faster than the 109 at full throttle only because when both radiators are closed for high speed the Heinkel one completely retracts into the fuselage and makes no drag at all, the 109 just closes the doors on its rather boxy ones. The 109 still won because it was felt that under combat conditions the retractable Heinkel radiator might experience failure in the mechanism and the old fashioned boxy radiator was more reliable, but cost something like a 3% hit in speed loss.

In case you're wondering, it'll overheat just the same at full military or special boost with the radiators open full so you might as well close them, cylinders are heating faster than the capacity of probably twice as many radiators to cool them, the 605 series motor does this at anything beyond 1.35ata but the 605D is a lot more resistant than the 605A so takes a lot longer to overheat: 10 minutes instead of 2.

It's at climb setting, the 30 minute power setting that you open radiators full.

I should add special attention is required by pilots for all Daimler motors at lower altitudes due to heating of the oil system by slippage in the blower hydraulic coupling during its altitude step before locking up, there's Daimler graphs for what I just said at ww2 aircraft performance dot net among other places but the cliff notes are all Daimlers love to run especially hot at low altitude and very especially hot in warm climates and low altitude, they spray oil and flame and kill the pilot. Marsielle's fatal bail out was caused by exactly this in his new G2. At low alt and/or hot climates the 605 not just overheats but opens its seals and sprays oil when it does. The rest of the time it just overheats and doesn't want to cool down for ages.

Edited by vanir

We are talking about radiators being cut off by emergency handles, it is complete different scenario then radiators being closed by radiator handle.

Dont know how it was setup in earlier versions but in k-4 pilot has no control over oil cooler, the only way to manage oil temp is to speed up or reduce power if oil temp going too high.At least in DCS oil temp in k-4 no problem at all, same with coolant temp, you really need to something extreme to make it hot.

And statement that closed radiators wont change anything is absolute wrong, in climb with closed radiators, coolant temp will immediately jump up. Higher coolant temp will reduce heat transfer from cylinder liners to coolant making engine fail much earlier. The main problem will be boiling coolant blowing it self out of engine block.

Edited by grafspee

• 1 year later...

MW50 in a coolant indeed, it's mostly the only thing it does actually, cooling down the engine so you can use higher manifold pressures longer. Does it work the same without MW50?

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

MW-50 increase effective octane rating, and also cools down charge. When injected, it directly increase power via lower charge temp and allows higher MP to be used.

There is no way that when you cut off left and right radiator engine could run for 30min at max power. Coolant would boil in seconds, engine would be dead within couple of minutes.

5 minutes ago, Hobel said:

without MW50 the engine lasts about ~3min
without MW50 with capped cooling line almost 2 min

At what power setting ?

no need to test engine at 1.8 ata and 2800rpm w/o MW50 it will die soon anyway

Then you tested how fast intense detonations destroys engine 🙂

Edited by grafspee

• Hobel changed the title to BF109K4 With 1- 0 radiator