S530 employment and losing radar lock

muamshai

Learning to kill targets in S530D. However, there are some queries, and I tried to find the answers before writing here. Either the search result didn't answer my question or they were too old.

1. How to employ S530? I understand that ideally the target should be slightly above your altitude. However, as we know ideals rarely exist, and the engagement alt is usually less than 5000m which already means reduced range of missile.

What if targets decides to hit the deck? How to reacquire the lock and under which mode? SVI?

2. Speaking of SVI, which modes (SVU, BAH) are for what situation? Any other modes besides these two for S530?

3. Any other tips not to lose the lock and waste taxpayers money in lost missile?

My engagements are usually against Mig-21, F-4E etc. Any aircraft with modern missiles (AIM120, R-77, R-27ER/ET) means run away.

Thx in advance :pilotfly:

This space is available for your advertisement

1. They are best employed at high altitude/high speed. Fire and then crank to slow closure speed and get below your target to prevent him breaking the lock by beaming. I don't know F-4E but IIRC correctly, MIG-21 radar doesn't have look down capability, use it to your avantage.

2. SVI and Bore are used to acquire target that are in your HUD/gun cross. BAH/BA2 have wider scan pattern (so slower to cover whole scan area).

3. Go below your target after firing. The higher/faster, the more range /energy you'll get from your S530. It's a good Fox 1 missile when launched at high altitude/high speed, with high Pk. Then by going below, dopler won't have to filter ground effect thus you'll have less chance to lost lock on a beaming target.

Intensively maneuvering target is highly probable to break your lock. Even if the lock is maintained a very high G is able to trash the missile which turns as hell but basically into nowhere. Of course, the closer the target the harder it will be to break the lock. Also pulling proper lead prior firing is very important for maximum securing the track. Just make sure to chase the aiming dot to be within the big circle. Your flight profile is also of significant importance - both for offence and defense the Mirage enjoy speed and altitude altogether.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=