DCS PD is crushing on the CPU!

GhastlyTT

This made absolutely no difference for me:

qeC6o60.png

This is the F-14 take off instant action mission. The numbers are taken while in the cockpit just before hitting "Fly". The headset was on the desk to make sure the camera position was identical each time. The numbers are from the Steam VR advanced timing graph. Frame time rounded to the nearest ms. Steam VR only lets you set SS to an even number, so there are slight variations in the total SS level for each test.

The first one (DCS PD of 0.5) looked promising because the GPU frame time was so much lower, but in the headset it was obvious from the poor image quality that SS 400% was not actually being applied. The other 4 options all looked about identical in the headset. The slight difference in GPU times match the slight difference in total supersampling.

Much smoother, not quite as sharp an image

When you reduce image quality it runs smoother? This could be the breakthrough we've been looking for!!! :megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol:

The slight difference in GPU times match the slight difference in total supersampling.

When you reduce image quality it runs smoother? This could be the breakthrough we've been looking for!!! megalol.gifmegalol.gifmegalol.gifmegalol.gif

Genuine RAF Merlin Collective DIY project

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

Surely 0.5PD in DCS and 400% SS in steam will look terrible because actual pixels are not being drawn by the graphics engine? So the 400% SS is in fact being applied but to an already horrible image. Like the saying "You can't polish a turd"

400% of nothing is still nothing. Thanks for the table and effort though, unless steam displays the data differently to FPSVR (highly recommend it if you have not got it) I can only dream of those frametimes. I'm at 15ms CPU and 20-30ms GPU when running a server with weather at 30fps on my Reverb.

Genuine RAF Merlin Collective DIY project

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

Surely 0.5PD in DCS and 400% SS in steam will look terrible because actual pixels are not being drawn by the graphics engine? So the 400% SS is in fact being applied but to an already horrible image. Like the saying "You can't polish a turd"

I was thinking the same thing. You would think that arriving at the same result using a better source image would give better visual results. I honestly didn't notice much difference in the headset though.

400% of nothing is still nothing. Thanks for the table and effort though, unless steam displays the data differently to FPSVR (highly recommend it if you have not got it) I can only dream of those frametimes. I'm at 15ms CPU and 20-30ms GPU when running a server with weather at 30fps on my Reverb.

That's not how it works. DCS passes pixel density to openvr, openvr multiplies it by SteamSS and returns fov size back to DCS. That's it, no magic. There is zero difference between settings 1.5PD with 100% SteamSS, or 1.0PD with 225% SteamSS.

For me the argument is simple;

DCS Pixel density (PD) has a massive difference on the game, forget everything else or any other compensation.... DCS PD crushes fps dead.

From there the equation is simple, you either have a high (low?) resolution headset or you do not.....

The rest is hunting something that just isn't there.

I never touch Steam SS and it remains at 100% and to some extent I can afford to do so with the HP reverbs higher resolution..... it is far from perfect.... it is simply better than every thing else.

For sure the Pimax kit looks superb, but VR will be like everything else in the computer world..... fundamentally grounded in software...… and when it comes to software..... you buy American!

There is a price to pay in VR and it is a price that we must all come to terms with.... at the moment.

Once I understood and accepted this , VR became the most fabulous experience that this SIM gamer has ever experienced in his 40 years of extreme gaming and wild horses would not drag me back to the 2D bullsh!t world in which I used to live.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

For me the argument is simple;

DCS Pixel density (PD) has a massive difference on the game, forget everything else or any other compensation.... DCS PD crushes fps dead.

From there the equation is simple, you either have a high (low?) resolution headset or you do not.....

The rest is hunting something that just isn't there.

I never touch Steam SS and it remains at 100% and to some extent I can afford to do so with the HP reverbs higher resolution..... it is far from perfect.... it is simply better than every thing else.

For sure the Pimax kit looks superb, but VR will be like everything else in the computer world..... fundamentally grounded in software...… and when it comes to software..... you buy American!

There is a price to pay in VR and it is a price that we must all come to terms with.... at the moment.

Once I understood and accepted this , VR became the most fabulous experience that this SIM gamer has ever experienced in his 40 years of extreme gaming and wild horses would not drag me back to the 2D bullsh!t world in which I used to live.

Lol I am with you there!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Indeed,

and further, I covet and feel extreme jealousy for those simmers in DCS that have found their one and only true love of an air frame, an air frame that they invested the time and money to build a true and actual cockpit in which to encapsulate themselves.

In VR you will indeed find true and absolute immersion.

I wish I was one of you.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.