HUD failure/switching off and carrier landing.

ФрогФут

For the last year all my training carrier landing (all cases, day and night) were with the hud switched off for the cases when it will randomly fail or damaged by enemy fire. But are there any limitations for carrier landing conditions without the HUD IRL? And if there are, what are they? In wich cases should i divert to the airfield?

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

HUD failure is exactly why you can repeat the HUD on any of the 3 displays. Even then, when performing a carrier landing, you have the AoA indexer lights, the analogue vertical rate gauge, the IFLOLS lights, and the LSO talking you in the whole way, so I can't imagine a just a HUD failure requiring a divert.

The NATOPS emergency checklist does not define any condition in which a HUD failure is classified as an emergency in the landing section.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

From talking to experienced naval aviators I've learned that the HUD in modern naval aviation is so relied on for a safe pass that you'd probably divert - if not flying blue water ops. In blue water ops I think most guys would consider a hud failure pretty much an "almost inflight emergency" That is why it's always repeated on a DDI in case of failure.

Kuddos to you for having practicing without it. I've tried and failed miserably. I bet it made you better behind the boat.

We don’t divert for a HUD failure... just repeat it on a DDI (or UFCD potentially in the Rhino) and tell Paddles, they’ll give a “talk down” for the warm and fuzzy since it’s a non-standard approach (for the fighters anyway). The HUD sure makes things easier, but I sure wouldn’t want to be the one to explain to CAG why I didn’t come back to the boat when the COD/E-2 dudes do it all the time “no HUD”. :)

HUD failure is exactly why you can repeat the HUD on any of the 3 displays. Even then, when performing a carrier landing, you have the AoA indexer lights, the analogue vertical rate gauge, the IFLOLS lights, and the LSO talking you in the whole way, so I can't imagine a just a HUD failure requiring a divert.

The NATOPS emergency checklist does not define any condition in which a HUD failure is classified as an emergency in the landing section.

It actually wasn't as bad as I though it would be (in the sim:D).

Few months ago I had a chance to trap using standby instruments only + AOA indexer.

Couple of gun boats got a few lucky shots on me and knocked out my air data comp. or whatever and the HUD got frozen (with pitch ladder at 30 deg angle:() then all DDI crapped out.

RWR was still working and I could guide on my BG's spikes.

I turned off the useless HUD and slammed on deck a little hard but I trapped. With the alpha indexer it's really not that bad, without it... just staring at the steam gauges in VR would have been a work out.

We don’t divert for a HUD failure... just repeat it on a DDI (or UFCD potentially in the Rhino) and tell Paddles, they’ll give a “talk down” for the warm and fuzzy since it’s a non-standard approach (for the fighters anyway). The HUD sure makes things easier, but I sure wouldn’t want to be the one to explain to CAG why I didn’t come back to the boat when the COD/E-2 dudes do it all the time “no HUD”. :)

Maybe not divert, but ACLS only. And i'm not talking about "Oh, my, the HUD has failed, what should i do", but approaches like night, 0.5 mile visibility fog.

Yes, those guys don't have HUD at all and i think they have visibility minimum for approach?

And also i don't think it would be in the specific aircraft manual, rather some general navy regulations, probably.

Screen_200405_160939.thumb.png.9e9127e6a1542b07fa38e21daf51d0af.png

Screen_200406_115542.thumb.png.9d431630ec575edebaade4a7ccd8dcee.png

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

Maybe not divert, but ACLS only. And i'm not talking about "Oh, my, the HUD has failed, what should i do", but approaches like night, 0.5 mile visibility fog.

Yes, those guys don't have HUD at all and i think they have visibility minimum for approach?

And also i don't think it would be in the specific aircraft manual, rather some general navy regulations, probably.

Fly on the wing of a healthy aircraft, or fly a Mode 3 CCA. Then Paddles Contact for an LSO talkdown.