Thoughts on the best way to lock 60FPS...?

Hi all,

Due to TrackIR 5 (and it's polling rate of 120Hz) I have to lock my FPS at 60 (because 120fps is unachievable in DCS) - and 60fps in an achievable derivative of 120.

I achieve this by using 'Nvidia Inspector' locking DCS to 60FPS using the 'Flip Metering' method.

** NOTE - my normal average FPS without locking them are around 80FPS ***

This eliminates that 'jittery condition' when panning around, and it's quite smooth.

However, this only works when the FPS are dead on 60FPS.

My question - I notice with the FPS counter (Ctrl - Pause) that the FPS never seems to stay perfectly on 60FPS, rather every couple of seconds etc, it will jump to 72 (for a split second) then back to 60, then 59 (split second), or 62 (split second) etc etc back to 60.

My Rig seems capable of maintaining 60FPS but it appears there's something in the background (every couple of seconds) that seems to confuse (momentarily) the FPS lock.

Does anyone have any better experience on how to completely lock 60FPS...?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

My System:

i7 8700K @ 5.0ghz

Nvidia 1080ti

1TB SSD m.2

16GB @ 3200mhz

3440 x 1440 G-Sync

TrackiR 5

Thrust Master Warthog HOTAS

MFG Crosswinds

Edited by The_Bullet_Chef

If you open graphics.lua in notepad++ you can set max maxframes = 60 and see if they locks you at 60fps.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Have you tried the "adaptive half" vsync in the nvidia control panel? So if you have a 120hz screen than I guess it will lock the fps at 60.

I have a differrent device for head tracking and I have 60hz screen so I just use the built in Vsync to lock the fps at 60 and I found this the best and everything is smooth. (Locking my fps at 60 without vsync feels worse.)

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

Not familiar with nvidia inspector, but have you tried it from the nvidia control panel?

Extremely well and consistently works to lock the framerate in MSI Afterburner along with Riva Statics Server.

Similarly good is a new feature directly in the drivers Nvidia.

nvidia-driver-limit-fps.png

from another 3d. works like a charm ;)

you're gonna need to re-set it whenever you update your drivers

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Probably the very best way to do it is to go into NVCP and choose a 60Hz resolution. If there isn't one there, create a Custom Resolution at 60Hz refresh rate.

Set VSync to On in the graphics driver (not the sim).

When used with Adaptive Refresh (G-Sync/Freesync) this gives the smoothest possible framerates at the refresh rate you want. Using other methods produces continuous micro-stutter. Only use VSync in NVCP. It's entirely normal for the FPS indication in DCS to fluctuate a bit--don't worry about it.

60Hz is an excellent framerate for DCS and flight sims in general.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Hi, for the same reason as you (TIR5) and with my144Hz GSync screen, I have tried all the solutions above and, for me, the best one to cap DCS at 60fps is to use RTSS (rivaturner).

Or better yet, go into your graphics driver (NVCP) and create a new custom resolution, with the refresh rate at 60Hz (or whatever refresh rate you want.)

Then, enable VSync On in the graphics driver (not the sim, or other games, in RTSS, or any other method).

This will give very smooth, fluid motion in the sim. It also works great below the specified refresh rate if you have Adaptive Refresh (G-Sync/Freesync) enabled.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Hi all,

Due to TrackIR 5 (and it's polling rate of 120Hz) I have to lock my FPS at 60 (because 120fps is unachievable in DCS) - and 60fps in an achievable derivative of 120.

I achieve this by using 'Nvidia Inspector' locking DCS to 60FPS using the 'Flip Metering' method.

** NOTE - my normal average FPS without locking them are around 80FPS ***

This eliminates that 'jittery condition' when panning around, and it's quite smooth.

However, this only works when the FPS are dead on 60FPS.

My question - I notice with the FPS counter (Ctrl - Pause) that the FPS never seems to stay perfectly on 60FPS, rather every couple of seconds etc, it will jump to 72 (for a split second) then back to 60, then 59 (split second), or 62 (split second) etc etc back to 60.

My Rig seems capable of maintaining 60FPS but it appears there's something in the background (every couple of seconds) that seems to confuse (momentarily) the FPS lock.

Does anyone have any better experience on how to completely lock 60FPS...?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

My System:

i7 8700K @ 5.0ghz

Nvidia 1080ti

1TB SSD m.2

16GB @ 3200mhz

3440 x 1440 G-Sync

TrackiR 5

Thrust Master Warthog HOTAS

MFG Crosswinds

In Nvidia Control Panel try Vertical Sync= Fast. I also have 144hz monitor no tearing with TrackIR. I also set the monitor to 60.I neither need 120 fps nor I have hardware for it.