Have I made a BIG mistake with Oculus Quest??

subseauk

Hi all, new to the DCS World and as on a fairly limited budget I built my own system from Ebay auctions. The last thing was the VR setup as I could not afford to get a decent Monitor first and VR Headset later I jumped straight to VR.

After spending quite some time looking at the Rift S I stumbled across good reviews on the Quest which seemed to have better display and adjustability for the eyes and with the newer Link connection option so I purchased this instead.

After looking for a suitable link cable ( basically a USB C type ) I suddenly realized that there is no USB C output on the 1080 ti card in my system. ( it has 3x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0b ).

I did a frantic search on google for an adaptor but have not been able to find anything that seems suitable and not being technical I found some of the descriptions a bit confusing.

What I need is an HDMI male ( PC end ) going to a USB C (Quest end) but can't seem to find one or an answer to the question of whether the video signal can go that way on the cables I have seen.

This forum is my last hope before biting the bullet and reselling the QUEST before it is even unpacked and possibly taking a hit on the fees involved.

What do you guys think

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI HERO . CPU Ryzen 9 3900x

CPU Cooler - Fractal Design Celsius S36, 360mm All-In-One Hydro Cooler CPU Cooler

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Blower, 11GB GDDR5X Graphics Card 11G-P4-5390-KR

RAM - Corsair 32Gb (4x8) DDR4 3200Mhz. PSU - 750W EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, Full Modular 80 PLUS Gold

Primary HD - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (MZ76E1T0EU) SSD -Secondary HD - Seagate 2TB 3.5" SATA III

Case - Cooler Master, Mastercase MC600P ( inc 3 x 120 internal fans ). OS - Windows 10 64Bit[/i]

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (wifi) motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Corsair Domiinator Platinum 32 GB (4x8Gb ) 3600MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11Mb graphics card

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2( Boot up and main program storage )

Fractal S36 AIO CPU Cooler

Oculus Quest + LINK system

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH Rudder Pro

Aircraft: Gazelle, Huey, AV-8B, A10C, Spitfire

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

The USB cable plugs into a normal USB 3 port...

https://support.oculus.com/525406631321134/#setup

It may be your USB cable that is at fault. Some just don't work (

)
Edited by Dunx

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

The USB cable plugs into a normal USB 3 port...

https://support.oculus.com/525406631321134/#setup

It may be your USB cable that is at fault. Some just don't work (

)

Hi, sorry with me not being the most technically minded person I thought that the Quest would have to be connected to one of the output ports on the graphics card! Is that not the case?? if not can I plug it into the USB C port on the motherboard directly?

Thanks for the feedback

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

Hi, sorry with me not being the most technically minded person I thought that the Quest would have to be connected to one of the output ports on the graphics card! Is that not the case?? if not can I plug it into the USB C port on the motherboard directly?

Thanks for the feedback

Not sure about USB C but I have the Rift S as well but for testing the Quest and taking to friends any USB 3 port on my computer has worked fine for the Link, even the ones on the front of my PC had no issues.

I use the official Oculus Link cable that Oculus sells, and it works great for me.

I see Oculus is currently out of stock on it with a notify me option.

Many use an Anker cable with good results also.

No hdmi, no display port needed. With Link everything goes through the USB 3 cable.

When I use it I plug mine into my motherboard's front panel USB 3 port.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks guys,???

Just to be sure are you saying that the video is somehow routed from the 1080 ti through to the USB 3.1 ( C ) port on the motherboard and that this works with the link cable to the Quest?

Just wanted to make doubly sure we are all on the same page ( ie the motherboard has no onboard graphics chip only the 1080 ti that is plugged into it!!! )

Sorry for sounding so dense LoL

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

I use the official Oculus Link cable that Oculus sells, and it works great for me.

No hdmi, no display port needed. With Link everything goes through the USB 3 cable.

But does your motherboard have an oboard graphics chip or just a plug in card like mine??

Thanks

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Hi

But does your motherboard have an oboard graphics chip or just a plug in card like mine??

Thanks

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Hi mate.

I may have not put the initial question quite right, my motherboard does not have any built in graphics and the PCIE graphic card is an EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 ti 11Gb which only has 1xxHDMI and 3 Display ports.

The LINK input on the Oculus QUEST is apparently a USB C connection so my problem is how do I connect ( if even possible ) from the PC pr graphics card to this input on the QUEST.

Can you help with this or am I missing something basic??

Thanks

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Just do it ! The Oculus Runtime will still make use of your gpu and send the video via usb .

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/how-does-oculus-link-work-the-architecture-pipeline-and-aadt-explained/

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just do it ! The Oculus Runtime will still make use of your gpu and send the video via usb .

Thanks mate, not being a technical guy and also playing catch up on PC based systems I just wanted to be sure that this would work without dropping loads of FPS etc.

Thanks for the input

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Hi mate.

I may have not put the initial question quite right, my motherboard does not have any built in graphics and the PCIE graphic card is an EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 ti 11Gb which only has 1xxHDMI and 3 Display ports.

The LINK input on the Oculus QUEST is apparently a USB C connection so my problem is how do I connect ( if even possible ) from the PC pr graphics card to this input on the QUEST.

Thanks

Hi I have a Oculus Rift S. This headset uses my computers graphics card.

The Quest is different. The Quest is a stand alone system with the graphics card built into the headset itself. Thats why its much more expensive compared to the Rift S.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Hi mate.

Thanks

Yeah it may seem like it would not work, but it does.

Link works totally through the USB 3 connection.

Your graphics card is still being used.

If you use the official Link cable from Oculus and you do not have a USB3 C-Port available you would just need a USB 3 C - A adapter.

Or you can buy a different cable like the Anker one - a USB3 -C to A cable.

Link is very greedy though, best to plug it into a USB 3 Port that is not sharing it's hub with other USB devices if you can.

I use my motherboard's front panel USB 3 port and is only thing I have on that hub, and it works great.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi I have a Oculus Rift S. This headset uses my computers graphics card.

The Quest is different. The Quest is a stand alone system with the graphics card built into the headset itself. Thats why its much more expensive compared to the Rift S.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

He is talking about using the Quest hooked up to a PC via the Oculus Link capability it now has.

In that manner, it is not using the Quest built in graphics but the GPU in the PC it is linked to. Link turns it into a PC-VR headset like the Rift S.

Quest and the Rift S are the same price - 399.00 ( 64 GB version of Quest). 128 GB version of Quest is 100 bucks more.

So now with the Quest, one can have both a mobile stand alone headset and also a PC-VR headset.

I have tested my Quest with the Link cable, and was surprised how well it worked.

Edited by dburne

Don B

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/how-does-oculus-link-work-the-architecture-pipeline-and-aadt-explained/

Cheers guy, much appreciated :thumbup:

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Thanks to all, especially Don, for taking the time to help with this issue.

It is most appreciated.

Thanks

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Thanks to all, especially Don, for taking the time to help with this issue.

It is most appreciated.

Thanks

You are most welcome, have fun!

Don B

Thanks mate, not being a technical guy and also playing catch up on PC based systems I just wanted to be sure that this would work without dropping loads of FPS etc.

Thanks for the input

When you try it, check on Task Manager and see amount of GPU use. That will show you if its working hard or not. Probably can't wear the headset to check, maybe run a track file with the headset sensor covered up.

Hi subseauk,

I am using a Quest too. Works fine with original Oculus Link and the recommended USB-cable variants.

Push yourself for a try. It's worth.

Greetings,

Flummi

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

You can basically use any USB3 to USBC cable. Just plug it into any motherboard USB 3 port.

The official Occulus Link cable exists because:

- USB3 only works up to 3 meters because of attenuation, and 3 meters is too short for stand-up VR. Occulus Link cable uses fiber optics, with a converter at both ends.

- Occulus link cable is super flexible, reducing constraint on the headset

- The angled connector is more convenient.

I have a regular USB3>USBC 3m cable. Video quality is perfect, but clearly it's too stiff, and with the straight connector it makes the cable heavy and not super convenient to manage.

For a dedicated use, I would definitely not recommend the Quest. The Rift S is not much more expensive and best suited.

The quest uses video compression to send the video signal through USB3, using about 100mpbs bandwidth. It's hardly noticeable, but sometimes dark areas slightly blocky.

Also, for use in DCS, you need a USB3 cable (not supplied). The official one costs about 100$, this makes the total price very close to the Rift S. A cheap USB3 cable works, but is not super comfortable.

However, for mixed use with some VR games, the Quest is fantastic for the price. Wireless VR is a game changer, pun intended.

For a dedicated use, I would definitely not recommend the Quest. The Rift S is not much more expensive and best suited.

The quest uses video compression to send the video signal through USB3, using about 100mpbs bandwidth. It's hardly noticeable, but sometimes dark areas slightly blocky.

Also, for use in DCS, you need a USB3 cable (not supplied). The official one costs about 100$, this makes the total price very close to the Rift S. A cheap USB3 cable works, but is not super comfortable.

However, for mixed use with some VR games, the Quest is fantastic for the price. Wireless VR is a game changer, pun intended.

Quest (64GB) and Rift S are the exact same price.

$399.00.

But yes with Quest hooked to PC need the Link cable which is additional cost.

I recommend the official Oculus Link cable.

Don B

Thank guys, unfortunately I had already jumped on the Quest. First looks ar setting up blew me away, I have next to no vision on my left eye and need glasses for close up ( less than 12 ft ) for the right eye.

When I tried the Quest I found I did not need to wear my glasses and everything seemed as clear as a bell.!!! I am hoping the picture in DCS will be as mind blowing!! I will post once I get the USB 3.1 cable sorted as it now seems there is not only a world shortage of oculus gear but also the supporting cables needed for LINK !! Go figure.

Cheers

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

The Quest HMD uses an OLED panel, the Rift S is an LCD panel. The screen door effect is more noticeable on the Quest than the Rift S. I wasn't personally bothered about the portable use of the Quest, visual fidelity was more important to me and that's why I bought the Rift S. I don't want to argue with people who own the Quest BUT the Rift S has better image quality at the end of the day.

The USB type A to Type C cable that comes with the Quest is USB 2, you need a USB 3 cable connected to your PC's USB 3 ports (The blue ones on your motherboard) for the Quest Link feature to work (it does NOT need to be connected to the graphics card!). Your GPU encodes the image sends it down the USB cable and the Quest HMD decodes the image. It does actually work quite well even though the Software is in Beta.

Whether you want to continue with the Quest or refund it to get a Rift S is down to you and your intended uses for the VR HMD. All the best with it

I always thought an OLED display was better than LED ( don't know why LoL ) as for the screen door I don't notice it so not a big thing for me. As far as refunding goes I bought the system on ebay as new and only a few weeks old still in original wrapping so I can't send it back!! As I said other than the pain in the rear trying to sort a cable out I am over the moon with it and don't intend to spend much on VR games as such. Purchased mainly to check out the VR in DCS World before eyesight wraps its' hand in completely!!!

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU