Have I made a BIG mistake with Oculus Quest??

subseauk

I always thought an OLED display was better than LED ( don't know why LoL ) as for the screen door I don't notice it so not a big thing for me. As far as refunding goes I bought the system on ebay as new and only a few weeks old still in original wrapping so I can't send it back!! As I said other than the pain in the rear trying to sort a cable out I am over the moon with it and don't intend to spend much on VR games as such. Purchased mainly to check out the VR in DCS World before eyesight wraps its' hand in completely!!!

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

Yeah it's a hotly debated topic. There are pros and cons to both, OLED having better blacks BUT you can get colour smudging and yes the SDE is worse. You'll notice most of the new HMDs like the Index and Reverb are LCD panels because ultimately the image quality is better.

A friend of mine has a YT channel focused on VR. He has PS4 VR, owned the Original Rift, upgraded to the Rift S & has the Quest. He isn't really a "tech guy" though just a keen gamer, he is to my knowledge one of the first people to have put up a video about using Quest Link when the feature became public. His first comment was "It reminds me of the original Rift HMD". You'll see him play all PC VR titles with the Rift S and only uses the Quest to stream it's native games. So clearly he can tell the Rift S is better otherwise he'd sell it and use the Quest and Quest Link.

Not bashing your purchase, just some friendly advice to you and anyone who reads this. A lot of VR games are pretty naff BUT there are some stand out exceptions. Keep an eye out for sales and of course there's the humble bundle website. I got a great deal on there a while ago for VR titles, I think it was 6 games or more for £15. The game "Moss" that was included at the time was worth more than I payed for the entire bundle.

All the best with it, have fun

I always thought an OLED display was better than LED ( don't know why LoL ) as for the screen door I don't notice it so not a big thing for me. As far as refunding goes I bought the system on ebay as new and only a few weeks old still in original wrapping so I can't send it back!! As I said other than the pain in the rear trying to sort a cable out I am over the moon with it and don't intend to spend much on VR games as such. Purchased mainly to check out the VR in DCS World before eyesight wraps its' hand in completely!!!

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks to get the Oculus Link Cable from Oculus, if you can find one in stock from them. It is solid and very smooth.

If not try one of the Anker Cables.

Darks are hard to beat in the Quest, looks so much better. Vader Immortal for instance, I only play it on the Quest due to how much better it looks.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I also got the Quest a couple months back and I´m quite satisfied with it.

I´m using it with the official Link cable which costs a few bucks more than other USB cables but it just works and quality is fine.

I´ve tried the Rift-S before - the image was a bit crispier and the headset more comfortable to wear but for me the problem was the fixed IPD range.

1/3 of the image around the edges was blurry for me - so obviously a no go here.

The Quest I think is a nice entry level piece of hardware into the world of VR and as a bonus you can also use it wireless which is quite nice.

I´ll probably get another piece of VR hardware in the future but till then I´m quite happy with my quest :)

guys, where are you buying your Link cables from, I have searched everywhere and short of a Chinese cable I have not been able to find one?

Cant wait to try it out!!!

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (wifi) motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Corsair Domiinator Platinum 32 GB (4x8Gb ) 3600MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11Mb graphics card

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2( Boot up and main program storage )

Fractal S36 AIO CPU Cooler

Oculus Quest + LINK system

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH Rudder Pro

Aircraft: Gazelle, Huey, AV-8B, A10C, Spitfire

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

guys, where are you buying your Link cables from, I have searched everywhere and short of a Chinese cable I have not been able to find one?

Cant wait to try it out!!!

I got mine when it was first released available to purchase, direct from Oculus.

They get them, but they go fast now just like the Rift S and Quest do.

Just have to keep checking daily as often as you reasonably can.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

thanks

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

• 3 weeks later...

There are some news, with the new 17.x Quest firmware you may use USB2, this means the cable provided with the Quest works. I just tested, there is absolutely no visual difference or lag with USB2. Just equivalent to USB3 or official Link cable.

Another observation for those who want to buy the Quest for DCS use : if by daylight the quality is very close to the Rift S, for night flights, the compression used by Occulus Link is absolutely ugly. You see huge banding with big compression blocks.

There are some news, with the new 17.x Quest firmware you may use USB2, this means the cable provided with the Quest works. I just tested, there is absolutely no visual difference or lag with USB2. Just equivalent to USB3 or official Link cable.

cheers for the info galinette :thumbup:

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Another observation for those who want to buy the Quest for DCS use : if by daylight the quality is very close to the Rift S, for night flights, the compression used by Occulus Link is absolutely ugly. You see huge banding with big compression blocks.

That's just not true. Elite dangerous and dcs night flights looks absolutely amazing in Quest.