Tracer Colors

Yo-Yo

• 3 weeks later...

Question is what bullets do you mean?They are diferent version of them.As you see those red are burning bullets a also are armored pierce bullest,klasik bullets,light bulets.Almost all dont see in the day ofcourse not those burning and light bullets.At night it is diferent as someone says those russian are GREEN.ABOUT BVP those PGs cant bee se during day and night not those PTRS rockets on them.And sorry for my english

:music_whistling:

Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4,AMD Phenom II x2 555 black edition 3,7 Ghz,Zepelin 4Gb 1333Mhz ddr3,Gigabyte HD 5770 Superoverclock,HAF 922,TrackIR5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Question is what bullets do you mean?They are diferent version of them.As you see those red are burning bullets a also are armored pierce bullest,klasik bullets,light bulets.Almost all dont see in the day ofcourse not those burning and light bullets.At night it is diferent as someone says those russian are GREEN.ABOUT BVP those PGs cant bee se during day and night not those PTRS rockets on them.And sorry for my english

:music_whistling:

You can see tracers during day fires.

Here is a very nice shot from the gunners front cockpit of an Mi24 whilst firing the cannon. A single tracer can be seen (I went through the thread, hopefully this hasn't been mentioned):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Czech-Republic--/Mil-Mi-24V/0815441/L/&tbl=photo_info&photo_nr=110&sok=keyword_(%5C%27%2B%5C%22gun%5C%22%5C%27_IN_BOOLEAN_MODE))_&sort=_order_by_photo_id_DESC_&prev_id=0819577&next_id=0812526

My 2c, based on my RL experiences:

.50 cal, day and night: Night firing was from ship to airborne flare target, both own ship and preceding vessel in the formation - the tracers appeared as slightly dull orange streaks, looking rather lazy as they floated upwards from the preceding ship. From my own ship, they looked like small glowing balls, almost points (viewed from almost directly behind the gun mount), dimming slightly as they flew outwards and dropped. Pretty obvious I suppose.

40mm Bofors, straight out of WWII!, night only: Big, bright, yellowish tracers, made a yellowish streak of light. Viewed from about 10 meters to right of muzzle. Nice.

Various 7.62mm, day only: Again, similar to .50 cal, (dull orange) but smaller points of light, harder to make out tracer, especially hard (but not impossible) when viewed from any place other than directly behind gun. I remember one or two tracer rounds lying sputtering and burning in the sand of the backstop after they'd gone through the paper target.

May be too late to be of use, but there it is anyway.

Hitman.Yes you can but only if they are ARMORED/PIERCED klasik bullets you cant saw,i see it in Kuchyna firing range in Slovakia when our Mi-24s where firing on targets BVP and trucks

Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4,AMD Phenom II x2 555 black edition 3,7 Ghz,Zepelin 4Gb 1333Mhz ddr3,Gigabyte HD 5770 Superoverclock,HAF 922,TrackIR5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hitman.Yes you can but only if they are ARMORED/PIERCED klasik bullets you cant saw,i see it in Kuchyna firing range in Slovakia when our Mi-24s where firing on targets BVP and trucks

I seen M855 ball ammo tracer rounds no problem during day fires...they aint for light shows only.

• 3 weeks later...

Rto Rhino Yup thats true.This is an interesting talk.There are diferent opinions.It depends on day light,caliber,type of gun,range and.......We will se how ED will solve this litle problem;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I've been a Gunner on a M2 Bradley for a long time. I can tell you that 25mm AP rounds are a yellow white, and the HE rounds are orange. The 7.62 coax is of course 4 to 1 mix with an orange tracer.

I'm sure you guys have the Soviet hardware covered already.

VBS2 using particle tracers and they look really good. I dont know if they lit up the environment like the tracer addon in ArmA made by 6th sense team.

Question: Will the tracers lit up the environment in DCS in this engine?

Regards

Alex "Snuffer" D.

AMD FX8350 (8 core) 4.1GHZ ::: 8GB Dominator 1600mhz ::: GTX660 2GB ::: 2xHD ::: 24" ASUS

Sorry for not posting any picture, but id like to say that given that some people here have posted pictures of BMPs, Hinds et all shooting orange tracers, Perhaps these were used by NATO countries?

The reason a lot of russian weapons uses green tracers are because of the material they use. Quote from wikipedia:

In US and NATO standard ammunition this is usually a mixture of strontium salts and a metal fuel such as magnesium. This yields a bright red light. Russian and Chinese tracer ammunition generates green light using barium salts.

The community newbie

http://winsbydefault.com/pics/dctf1ibxh7.gif

Replace this image! It's too big! © Administration

(max size: 150pix height, 50kb)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest calvinb1nav

Haven't seen it for real myself but from guys I've talked to say Russian 37mm airbursts look like "dirty popcorn" whereas 57mm airbursts are black with red centers or silverish with red centers (depending on the ammo used). 85/100mm airbursts look like oily palls of black smoke i.e. like the flak you see in WW2 footage.

PBAR

Would a short video of this (swiss army, but also built self-propellered in german Gepard AAA) thing fireing be useful for you? (@night :gun_smilie:)

I will also search my video of F/A-18, F-5 and Mirage F-1 if there are traces visible (daylight).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 9 months later...
Haven't seen it for real myself but from guys I've talked to say Russian 37mm airbursts look like "dirty popcorn" whereas 57mm airbursts are black with red centers or silverish with red centers (depending on the ammo used). 85/100mm airbursts look like oily palls of black smoke i.e. like the flak you see in WW2 footage.

PBAR

I think you are referring to explosive ammunition used in AA guns(Flak guns) that explode at various altitutes(I think that a fuse is used to set altitude) producing smoke(and schrapnel) when exploding.

The thread is about the light that is produced(during flight) by tracer ammunition which are usable almost in all guns in order to give an (approximate) picture of the trajectory the rounds are travelling(and eventually the impact point).

• 1 year later...
Here is BMP-3 footage.

I'm pretty sure that when the BS ballistics video was released, there was a thread discussing the ricochet patterns etc which had a good collection of videos from youtube etc - might be a starting place to get all the obvious ones.

• 5 months later...
VBS2 using particle tracers and they look really good. I dont know if they lit up the environment like the tracer addon in ArmA made by 6th sense team.

Question: Will the tracers lit up the environment in DCS in this engine?

tracers in arma and arma 2 engine always light up environment.

i agree, the sprite system used in dcs isn't very good i think. lacks volume.

• 1 month later...
Sorry for not posting any picture, but id like to say that given that some people here have posted pictures of BMPs, Hinds et all shooting orange tracers, Perhaps these were used by NATO countries?

The reason a lot of russian weapons uses green tracers are because of the material they use. Quote from wikipedia:

Great info!

On a related note - posting video is largely useless due to white balance and the fact that many cameras can record the infra-red as well as visible spectrum, making most colors inaccurate unless previously calibrated for the prevailing lighting conditions.

Best regards,

Tango.

• ED Team

I saw BMP-2 shooting - red colour tracer. AK-74 has red tracer too. Wiki is not correct very often.

Some tracers in DCS have not their native colour. Initially it was made for testing convenience and then became a tradition.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I familiar (and shoot too) almost all Russian armor/ammo that in present in DCS. I used it for at least 12year long. Sometimes very hard to define the correct ammo tracer color because it's belong the lot of variables:

- the ammo origin: basically the Russian ammo factories use the orange/red tracer element. But some other (German, Hungarian, Bulgarian, USA etc. cartridge factory use a different one (green, yellow, white)

- the ammo storage age: very often the soldiers have to use a relatively old (10-20yr) ammo. In this case the tracer color is faded due it had some chemical changes as usual

- the projectile velocity: with higher velocity the tracer color seems to be lighter than the lower one.

- the ambiance variables / shooting altitude: in a dump day the tracer color is mostly faded than the clear sunny day. Also the ammo application altitude is important. In the Hungarian AF Mig-21 used a NS-23 ammo that produce very clean green tracer when the plane use as ground target practicing from low (~1000m) altitude. But if they use it from mid (~2-3000m) or an air targeting practice it's almost invisible because it produce a light yellow effect as well.

I have almost all of Hungarian, Russian and NATO EOD handbook, tech-manual and notes about lot of projectile, ammo, missile, rockets, marking, deactivation, components etc.. but every time when the projectile has a tracer feature this books used to a (...should be... seems to be) phrase to define their color.

• Like 1