vsTerminus Tutorial Series

I have been working on a deep dive tutorial series for the Mi-8 that aims to show you not only how to fly it, but to give you a broader understanding of helicopter flight concepts and a deeper look into the various systems along the way.

By the time the series is done I hope to have covered everything the Hip has to offer, and I hope you will feel more confident as a virtual Hip pilot.

Or

Individual Tutorials:

Series is ongoing and there will be more to come.

With all of these videos, if you know something I don't please share in the comments section so others can benefit from your knowledge too.

Linked in every video description you will find the following:

These are some mods that I am using in the videos which you may want to install for yourselves:

These are my primary sources of information, I suggest keeping a copy of each on your hard drive for reference:

Thanks for watching!

Edited by vsTerminus
New Sling Loading video (Replaces old one)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for such a complete series of video tutorials ... I’m at the moment Re-learning the Mig-21, but after it I will re-take the Mi-8 with the help of your videos :thumbup:

Greetings.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 7 months later...

Simply the best tutorial series I have followed on any module. This is the benchmark!

I can't imagine the effort you must have put in but it has completely paid off. I find I watch the videos, then play for a few hours, then go back and watch them again. everything makes even more sense the second time.

Your delivery and clarity is excellent and it is obvious you enjoy flying this module and your expertise comes from a huge number of flight hours.

I have went from the MI-8 being an under-utilised module to now one of my favourites. 

My most under-utilised module is the Gazelle...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That is a great series of tutorials - no doubt about that! 

Thank you very much for this effort!

The Hip is a great module and the best „feeling“ Chopper in DCS (closely followed by the Huey)...

but I always sucked at flying whirly birds. With your tutorials I‘m actually making great progress. 👍

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 2 months later...

@vsTerminus Your tutorials videos are great. I have some tiny edits that probably don't rise to the level of redoing any of the videos, but might help with your knowledge of the aircraft. If you'd like I can either message my notes to you directly, or I can just put them here in a post for all to see. Thank you for all of your effort!

On 4/20/2021 at 1:50 PM, AlphaOneSix said:

@vsTerminus Your tutorials videos are great. I have some tiny edits that probably don't rise to the level of redoing any of the videos, but might help with your knowledge of the aircraft. If you'd like I can either message my notes to you directly, or I can just put them here in a post for all to see. Thank you for all of your effort!

That would be wonderful. I do have plans to re-do some of these videos and I will include things I have learned since I originally recorded them.

If you want to just post here for everyone to read that seems like the quickest way to get the info.out there, and gives me an easy way to find it all.

Thank you!

Great! Let me start by saying that I always wanted to do YouTube videos on Mi-8 systems, but I just don't have it in me. And now I also don't really have the technical means. But if I were to do YouTube videos, I would aspire to make them just like your videos, they are really very good.

All of my nitpicks are just that, little nitpicks. They don't affect the flying of the aircraft in-game. I have watched several of your piloting technique videos, and I honestly have no input for those, I think they are just about perfect as they are.

But anyway, here we go... This list is all based on the Cold Start Tutorial video.

• 08:24 Location of service fuel tank. It is located above the cargo cabin, underneath the hydraulic deck, behind the main gearbox compartment.
  • 08:41 References to "kerosene tank" for the heater. The heater is fed fuel from the service fuel tank just like the APU and engines. It does not have its own separate fuel tank. Jet fuel is just more highly refined kerosene, after all.
  • 09:46 The APU is a self contained gas turbine engine. Compressed air from the APU is just bleed air from the APU combustion section.
  • 10:11 There is no air tank for the APU. The air pressure gauge is measuring the line pressure in the piping that goes from the APU bleed valve to the engine air starters.
  • 11:00 The reason for starting the downwind engine first is to keep exhaust gases out of the APU intake, which could cause it to overtemp. The engines don't care.
  • 14:50 ECL Discussion. It may work in the game but raising the ECLs don't give you any extra power in real life. It's a longer discussion that I'll get into if interested but I'll save that for later.
  • 19:04 Your standby inverters should be in AUTO during flight so that they can come back on automatically in the event of a dual AC generator failure. Putting them in AUTO early is fine but if they were turned on in MAN earlier they should be placed in AUTO now, not OFF.
  • 24:00 The doppler system and the radar altimeter are two separate systems.
  • 27:35 That box is the ICS controller for the flight engineer. There is no PA for the cabin on this version of the aircraft.
  • 27:54 Again the radar altimeter system is separate from the doppler system. It has it's own antennas separate from the doppler antennas. Sometimes they are on the tail boom but they can also be on the bottom of the airframe. Not sure where they are in this version of the aircraft.

• Like 2