Dive bombing in Auto mode?

Pochi

Hi Hornet pilots!

I just watched the Jetstream series about Canadian Air Force training for the F18.

I noticed in the last episode when they are practicing dive bombing that that are diving in AUTO Mode with a target designated. I thought auto mode was CCRP release in level flight but I am surely wrong.

Anybody could explain me why and how they are releasing in such a way?

Thanks, regards

Pierre

I've heard that Hornet pilots actually bomb with AUTO most of the time. In CCIP, you don't have a target designation and thus no target diamond, because of the designation logic in the Hornet. Not the best thing, if you want to be sure as to what you're bombing.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The real world standard is bombing in AUTO mode (let the very accurate system do the work for you, especially if you’re FLIR bombing). I personally have never dropped anything out of CCIP in the real jet, only AUTO and MAN (MAN for a JDAM or a buddy bomb scenario where your system is broken and the other dude tells you when to release as you fly loose form).

So yea, AUTO unless you have a good reason not to be there... which, in the sim hornet is bacially any time there is wind right now... the MCs aren’t currently calculating the ASL in AUTO mode correctly.