Free trial aircraft

Pike

How in the world do you access this? I can't find a single set of instructions and I missed out on it the last time, too.

I can find fleeting references to a module manager, or seeing a link to click on steam, but no detailed walk through of the steps. I have absolutely zero reference to work from or troubleshoot.

You would think the very same press release announcing the promotion would also include some instructions. I have googled, and searched this forum and found nothing but glimpses of the above that do nothing for me.

Thanks for any help.

Do you have the base game installed? Once installed, fire it up, it will automatically offer you a list of all available trial modules, you check the ones you want to try, and select restart. Game shuts down and downloads automatically, upon restart go to your installed modules section and select activate, game will restart again and your modules are up and ready.

Which version of DCS do you use? Standalone or Steam?

You access the stuff the same way as you would normally buy it, just without checkout and payment, that's why there are no detailed instructions.

In standalone you launch the game, click the module manager icon on top left - the game should give you a list of all freebies and ask you which ones you want to install. You select what you want, hit OK and follow instructions.

I don't own Steam version, but apparently you install them by selecting from the list of available DLCs and hitting "play" (instead of "buy").

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Free for all event - How to access modules

If you're on Steam you may have missed the boat for the free play modules, but not the sale!

Edited by StressLess
I just like editing...

HP Z230 - Win10 Pro, i7-4770@3.30Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVO 1TB SSD x2, GTX 1660 Super 6GB, Quest 2 VR/TrackIR5; GIGABYTE AERO 17 HDR XD - Creator series laptop

DCS World - Terrains: all; Modules: all but MB-339, Mirage F1, Mosquito, I-16, MiG-19P, Yak-52, F-5E, L-39, C-101, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, & F-86F; Campaigns: various

On My Radar - The Typhoon, and I'm still hoping for a Norway map to go with it!!

Steam Version, latest open beta.

There's nothing for me to click on in steam, it's not listed with the other DCS modules I own, nor if I go to a modules page can I do anything beneficial there, it only lists the buy now at full price and wants to to check out as such.

In the game, there are no modules listed for me to manage. Other than what I own.

Go read it again.

The standalone is a full month starting the 19th of April.

The Steam free event ended May 3rd, though a 50% sale runs from the 13th to the 27th.

That happens to explain my problem today, but between April 21st and April 29th I had the same exact issue, I decided to post now to try and figure it out before it ended.

I should have asked sooner, but I also shouldn't have to come to a community to get installation and troubleshooting tips for something that should be/is allegedly simple. If the press release would provide a how to I'd have had somewhere to start instead of fumbling around assuming I was doing it wrong.

I should have asked sooner, but I also shouldn't have to come to a community to get installation and troubleshooting tips for something that should be/is allegedly simple.

Well... it is really simple so...

If you start DCS and enter the main screen, on the top you have that keypath icon left of the cogwheel. If it displays a number on it (it's in a red circle), it's an indication that you can install stuff. If you click on the keypath icon, a new screen will open with an extra pop-up saying what you can install. Just select what you want and confirm. It's that simple!

If you don't have a red number on that keypath, there is nothing on offer anymore (mine still do, both stable and open beta, non steam).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Well... it is really simple so...

If you start DCS and enter the main screen, on the top you have that keypath icon left of the cogwheel. If it displays a number on it (it's in a red circle), it's an indication that you can install stuff. If you click on the keypath icon, a new screen will open with an extra pop-up saying what you can install. Just select what you want and confirm. It's that simple!

If you don't have a red number on that keypath, there is nothing on offer anymore (mine still do, both stable and open beta, non steam).

That's true for the standalone version.

But from that link I posted in the previous message, you had to go to the store page for the particular module you were interested in on Steam (during the event, which is over now) and select to play for free from the store. At which point Steam would then download the module into you DCS World as a DLC and it would then be flyable for the duration.

Once the sale starts back up on Steam, you'll still have to go to the store page for the module to purchase it though.

HP Z230 - Win10 Pro, i7-4770@3.30Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVO 1TB SSD x2, GTX 1660 Super 6GB, Quest 2 VR/TrackIR5; GIGABYTE AERO 17 HDR XD - Creator series laptop

DCS World - Terrains: all; Modules: all but MB-339, Mirage F1, Mosquito, I-16, MiG-19P, Yak-52, F-5E, L-39, C-101, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, & F-86F; Campaigns: various

On My Radar - The Typhoon, and I'm still hoping for a Norway map to go with it!!