Early Warning Radar

Hi. What exactly are the functions of ewr in real life and how do they differ in lomac/fc? For example, do sam and aaa units receive this info directly from data link or is this information sent only to military headquarters?

In lomac/fc, ewr seems useless. It does track aircraft at a 200-400km radius but is that all it is meant to do?

It does more than that in real life - in FC it does too much -and- too little. For example, it provides a datalink to Migs and flankers showing the position of all detected aircraft.

Russian GCI realistically just slews your flanker's/mig's radar to scan in the direction of a target detected by GCI (ie. the target THEY want you to attack)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Soaring- for someone who is so green- you certainly seem to "know" a lot about......everything.

Instead of incessantly whining about things that you obviously are clueless about- why don't you just ask the question instead of making foolish declarations?

• Like 1

It does more than that in real life - in FC it does too much -and- too little. For example, it provides a datalink to Migs and flankers showing the position of all detected aircraft.

Russian GCI realistically just slews your flanker's/mig's radar to scan in the direction of a target detected by GCI (ie. the target THEY want you to attack)

Ok. I understand what you mean but in RL would it not send targeting data to sams, aaa and other ground forces by data link as well? That was my initial question anyway.

Since I am mainly an a2g pilot I am not aware of the data linking to fighters using gci but what you say makes perfect sense!

I think it may affect a SAMs reaction time, but otherwise there's no significant effect of EWR on a SAM site, IIRC. In the game, that is. RL they're all datalinked together :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Soaring- for someone who is so green- you certainly seem to "know" a lot about......everything.

Instead of incessantly whining about things that you obviously are clueless about- why don't you just ask the question instead of making foolish declarations?

Your post is rude and completly uncalled for! Next time this happens I will consider reporting it or putting you on ignore!

Be careful!

I think it may affect a SAMs reaction time, but otherwise there's no significant effect of EWR on a SAM site, IIRC. In the game, that is. RL they're all datalinked together :P

Yeah. Thats what I suspected too. In a modern battle field almost everything is data linked one way or another! ;)

I've worked on command and control systems way back in the 1980's that would allow target position data from EW radars to be crosslinked to SAM systems to give them advance warning of targets. Furthermore, such information could be useful in planning a SAM engagement, i.e. the SAM site could stay silent until a target was within the no-escape envelope.

Obviously not modelled in Lockon, but wouldn't it be nice.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....