Having Serious Graphic Issues with New Install

Something happened to my system last December that made my Win10 system unable to reboot.

As such, a Complete Reinstall (fresh) was done at Staples on my M2 Drive.

I have since reinstalled DCS World "Open Beta" and all of My Modules (none of the free test modules).

Ever since installing, and ONLY when I start DCS or STEAM (Steam seems related although I Do NOT have the Steam Version of DCS), my Desktop Icons all move Up and Down in a flickering type motion. Furthermore, when either of these programs are running (never at the same time) the Mouse is acting useless. If I don't hover over a button and click fast, the mouse jumps back to center of my screen.

It is super annoying and I have No Idea what to do to fix it.

Please Help. My Computer Repair Days are long since passed but I can understand instructions. I'm very rusty with New Systems.

Ryzen 7 2700 4.1Ghz (10% Overclock)

16 GB Ram

64 bit Win10 Home

NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB with Latest Update Drivers

1920 x 1080 on 27" Monitor (flat screen) 60GHz

I have NO IDEA what if anything Staples might have done in the BIOS etc and I am way too out-of-date to go farting around in there myself without having some clues as to what to look for first.

PLEASE HELP.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Ever since installing, and ONLY when I start DCS or STEAM (Steam seems related although I Do NOT have the Steam Version of DCS), my Desktop Icons all move Up and Down in a flickering type motion. Furthermore, when either of these programs are running (never at the same time) the Mouse is acting useless. If I don't hover over a button and click fast, the mouse jumps back to center of my screen.

It is super annoying and I have No Idea what to do to fix it.

Please Help.

Hello,

It is really hard to diagnose this type of problem without being at the machine. May I suggest that you run through the debloat script mentioned on this video, just to be sure that your Windows is in top shape:

mWHiP9K8fQ0

If the problem persist, then download the trial of Malwarebytes (https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/) and run it so that we may discard any malware or adware action.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

@Rudel_chw

Thank you for the reply. I will check that out for sure.

I'm not concerned about adware or viral type things. I run a tight ship when it comes to sites I visit and the use of ad-blocking software and AVG Pro. That's not to say it's impossible for anything to slip by those, but I often clean out or thin out cookies and blacklist unknown urls etc. But I'm not opposed to running another program to see if anything is missed.

I have little to lose at this point (other than everything else runs flawlessly now).

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I make out from following your suggestions.

So many things it could be...

Question - does it mess your icons up long term, or does it restore them back once you exit the game? Mine will flicker as you describe normally when I run older games that have to run at a lower resolution, and often (not always) it will exit with my desktop icons messed up. This happens more with old games running in windows, as opposed to old games running through steam (steam handles it better).

Do you have any unrecognised devices in device manager (indicated by a yellow/orange exclamation)? If so, I'd sort those first. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/128588-open-device-manager-windows-10-a.html

The mouse action is what has me curious. I have seen over the years that some mice will do things like that, and as part of the moving around, it will click, and drag items. I have seen this many times, and it has always been one of two things: 1. A faulty mouse, 2: Virus/etc.

If you have a spare mouse, I would try that first. If problem goes away, then I would be looking for drivers and software for your mouse (fancy mice have drivers/software). If you don't have a spare mouse, try unplugging the mouse and use keyboard to launch DCS. Once it loads, plug mouse back in. I'd do the same test with the keyboard.

The next thing I'd check is that they installed the correct chipset (from either the motherboard manufacturer if you built your own, or the company if it was pre-built like Dell). Wrong chipset drivers can do all sorts of weird things. Note, that if you don't know what you are doing, this can be risky, as if you put the wrong chipset drivers on, you may need to re-install windows. So just triple check before you start.

If it was video related, I would check:

1. Is your normal desktop screen resolution set the same as the game resolution? If not, make these the same.

2. Are you running in full screen mode? (A selective option in DCS, and also can be done with Alt + Enter

3. Firmware for your specific video card (from the manufacturer, not Nvidia)

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

I’d check your key bindings in the game. If it’s a fresh install, it could be duplicate key bindings. Also I had an issue kind of like this when I had my rudders peddles and my G13 connected at the same time. You might want to try unplugging everything and try plugging them in one at a time.

Thanks for the replies.

Firstly, I am 100% Confident that my issue is NOT the result of any viruses.

@Rudel_chw

I did go through the "Clean Up Windows 10" tips shown in the video just this morning.

I just tried DCS and it STILL does exactly the same thing.

It appears that the Desktop Background Image stays still (as it should) but ALL of my Desktop Icons move in unison .. they move down maybe an inch and then move back up to where they started. They continue to move Up/Down and while starting DCS GUI. Once in DCS it's all I can do to Click on Anything fast enough before my mouse cursor jumps back to a center point. There is no sense in me even trying to set anything up.

However I did make sure that the Screen Resolution in DCS matched my Desktop Monitor Settings (1920x1080).

So I still have Zero Idea what could be causing this issue.

As previously stated, this issue arises ONLY when I run DCS or if/when I run Steam (which is NEVER at the same time). This problem effectively makes both programs useless/unusable.

I wish I could figure it out without having to spend $$ that I don't have and a 1 hour drive each way to get a Technician to look at it (and hopefully fix it).

@canadianbaken

It is a fresh install of both Win10 and DCS. I have yet to change ANY settings in DCS simply because I cannot keep my mouse cursor on anything long enough to click on it. As such, there are either No Key Bindings or at least NONE set up by me for any of my Peripherals.

@chrisgrind

The desktop icons move ONLY when I execute DCS or Steam (the latter of which I don't give a shit about at this moment ... DCS is my ONLY Concern).

The icons move down about an inch (all of them at the same time) and then move back up to their start point. Once DCS GUI is up I cannot see the icons any more (of course) but whatever is causing them to move appears to be affecting my mouse.

That said, I did in fact, purchase a New Mouse (wired as mine have all been) and it continues to do the same thing as the one I tossed across the room :)

There are no unrecognized devices and no warning icons beside those that are listed.

I frigged with the mouse for a while, including making sure generic drivers were uninstalled and specific drivers installed (makes no difference) AND this issue happens ONLY with DCS and/or Steam ... which again are never running at the same time. I don't have the Steam Version of DCS.

All my drivers are software specific and up-to-date.

Nope ... this is a really strange Pain in the Ass that I simply cannot figure out and I'm too far out of the loop to dive into the Bios Settings any more. I haven't kept up with PC Technology for about 10+ years. I have enough experience to do most things (I've been using PC's every single day since 1990 including DOS etc and before a Mouse was a thing except for AutoCAD) but not enough to go mucking around in the Bios.

That said, I am confident that the current Chipset Drivers are correct and up-to-date (I did check). If they weren't, it is fairly easy to Flash this system thanks to the way it's designed.

EDIT: I figured I'd upload a current (today) CPUID - CPU-Z text file that might provide details or information that someone might need to figure this out. I don't know that it provides that type of information but it does provide Specs.

DESKTOP-055H67K.txt

Edited by SnowTiger

if you've got fast internet, I'd delete DCS and try again. If you have slow internet, maybe try a repair.

If the icons return then I wouldn't stress about that...but the mouse not working in DCS is odd...

Could be worth downloading hwinfo, running and creating an export of your hardware

https://www.hwinfo.com/

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

Create a new windows user as administrator and try to launch from there.

Do not mess with win-GUI scaling or other but native screen resolution.

I have had similar issues along my DCS experience but I cannot recall what caused it

Nor how I fixed it. All I know is nothing was broken and it was rather simple to fix.

My brain...LOL

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

chrisgrind > The icons don't return and that's it. They continue to move up/down up/down up/down up/down up/down up/down ... do you get it now ?

It goes on continuously when DCS is open. If I manage to minimize DCS (no easy task on a good day), I can see the icons moving up/down up/down up/down up/down.

And because this continues when DCS is open, even though I cannot see them moving, I know they are because at the same frequency, the mouse cursor is jumping back to the center of the screen (or in this case DCS GUI).

I have to be extremely fast and accurate to click on ANYTHING without the F'ing cursor bouncing back to center point. And if I'm really lucky, I'll have clicked on what I was aiming for.

BitMaster - Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll just wait until I can afford a reliably skilled technician to locate the issue. I have ZERO Desire to create Users. That is IMO one of the WORST things you can do with your computer but I won't get into why ... just know that I have experience with that.

I haven't flown DCS in MANY MONTHS and really don't care any more whether I ever do even though I wasted more money to get the F-16 while it was on sale. I know if I wait another 5 years, chances are it'll still be Fubar.

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES AND SUGGESTIONS

I think this is an issue with something to do with my System Setup as opposed to DCS or Steam .. but who knows. I have operated, built, repaired and cleaned (system) PC's since 1990 and this one is just simply beyond my skills. Whatever it is, is anything but obvious. I simply haven't had any interest in keeping up with developments in the PC World of Technology and tired of fixing everyone else's broken and corrupted systems over the decades.

I'll find a good technician like I had over recent years until he decided to up and retire :(

By any chance, your monitor is touch-capable?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It‘s among the most reliable and safe things to do, from someone who usually gets paid to give advice.

Anyway, it’s your PC and time.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X