Partial 80s West vs. East Germany, GUIK or North Atlantic like in Fleet Defender

TheCabal

On 6/1/2021 at 4:35 PM, Kazansky222 said:

That is really cool, I had no idea there were so many. Heres a cool little resource that shows some maps with SAM placement in East Germany as well.

http://geimint.blogspot.com/2008/08/ddr-air-defense-cold-war-case-study.html

Nice find, it's great that they included a comprehensive .kmz file for Google Earth - very useful.

Only issue is that it's quite difficult to find the layouts of the sites (at least where it isn't obvious, like one of the SA-5 sites).

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 months later...

Cold War? In Germany? Yes i totally agree, and of course i would Kill for such a Map.

• Like 5

Don’t wait for the undertaker,
just ignite the Martin Baker!

i9-11900k, RTX 3080ti EVGA FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z Neo, ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E, 1200W be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11, Corsair iCUE H150i Pro, 6x Corsair Light Loop Fans, Lian Li - PC-011

34" LG 34WR50QC-B, Oculus Rift S, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + F-18 Stick, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello folks,

any news reg. the still interesting topic? Any developments? (had a huge break because I can't get myself to start DCS any longer without a dynamic campaign)

Greetings,

Cabal

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

Shouldn't matter that much - all of the major airbases are either still operational IRL or already announced.

Only one missing is Severomorsk-2 which was a SAR base right next to Severomorsk-1 hosting the Be-12PS SAR aircraft that shut down in the late 90s. It would be fairly easy to add it in.

Personally, I'm more concerned about ground based radars just being non-functional eye-candy, unable to be used - though that goes for everyone in the region - Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

9 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Personally, I'm more concerned about ground based radars just being non-functional eye-candy, unable to be used - though that goes for everyone in the region - Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia.

Yeah, that would be a really nice feature of the map, but given that I've never seen such a thing in DCS before (native map units) I'm unsure if it's something to expect.

At least if the radars are modeled it would make it easy to hide some kind of EWR unit within them. The Persian Gulf map has some EWR sites populated with buildings, but you'd never know. Some of the radars are represented with oil tanks or something if I remember.

Another option for modeling radar stations is to leave them off the map but mark their locations and include them as units themselves.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

On 10/8/2022 at 4:45 AM, Exorcet said:

Yeah, that would be a really nice feature of the map, but given that I've never seen such a thing in DCS before (native map units) I'm unsure if it's something to expect.

Well, my expectations are going to be open until the map releases, but yes - for every other map in DCS, EW stations and radars present on maps are simply non-functional eye-candy.

In the case of the Caucasus, it's kinda doubly disappointing because the P-37 and PRV-11 are very common REDFOR radars and the models in game are animated and fairly high quality (along with the DRL-7 and RSP-7).

The Persian Gulf map has some EWR sites populated with buildings, but you'd never know. Some of the radars are represented with oil tanks or something if I remember.

Yep, a major EWR/communications station near Bandar Abbas has its 2 radomes replaced with grain silos/fuel tanks (present day imagery has the radomes removed, just leaving the cylindrical stands - which could be mistaken for tanks, but in imagery from January 2003 to June 2022 the radomes are clearly visible).

Another option for modeling radar stations is to leave them off the map but mark their locations and include them as units themselves.

That would infinitely be my preferred solution - have the EWR sites just include mounts for the radars, but not the radars themselves.

It might be a bit more difficult with Norway though as there's at least one SINDRE I station in the region covered by the map - these radars can retract into an underground silo when not in use, a simple solution though could be to include a cutout in the terrain mesh for them.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

On 5/15/2020 at 3:53 AM, Northstar98 said:

The good things with the Falklands and Iceland is that they're fairly barren, I'm not sure that the mesh itself is the source of performance issues, more the number of objects.

Iceland does have more varied and I would say more complex terrain AFAIK, but that's really it, it's fairly sparse to my knowledge.

As for red aircraft on a GIUK gap map? No idea, SF2: NA had land based stuff operating out of airfields in the north-east, but to my knowledge they're not suitable for things like bombers.

But even so, we don't even have Cold War bombers to begin with, they're all fairly modern (well maybe apart from the Su-24M/MR and Tu-142).

But there's so many assets missing for 80s era stuff, both blue and red, especially for naval stuff.

I mean look at RAZBAM's lightning.... Yay, great a British jet (even if, erm, yeah) but kind of a misfit at the moment in DCS, because there's nothing it historically intercepts, everything is too modern.

Historical potential targets for BE Lightning in DCS. Redside TU-16 (sub with H-6), TU-95 family, SU-17/22, Mig-25, Mig-23, Mig-27, Mig-19, Mig-21, MI-24, MI-8, Soviet era transports. Blue side plausible targets depending on scenario. F-14A, F-4E, A-4E, C-130, C-2, F-86, KC-135.

• Like 1

Barely any of those are historical targets for the Lightning at all - the Lightning was mainly relevant from the 1960s to the mid 70s. While they were in service up to the late 80s, the overwhelming majority of those squadrons had transferred to either the Phantom or the Jaguar during the 70s, leaving just 2 squadrons at RAF Brinbrook in Lincolnshire.

So, going for the early 60s to mid 70s, the main targets the Lightning would've intercepted were the Tu-16 [Badger A], Tu-16KSR-2/2-11/2-5-11 [Badger G/Badger G Mod] and Tu-22R/RD [Blinder C].

Redside TU-16 (sub with H-6)

The H-6J we have in DCS is not a suitable stand-in for either the Badger A or G - it's way too modern and even if I restrict it to dumb bombs only, it lacks the defensive armamanent (primarly the 6 23 mm NR-23 cannons, in dorsal, ventral and tail turrets), which the Lightning would have to have dealt with during an intercept.

TU-95 family

Of which we only have the Tu-95MS-6, whose only armament are missiles from the early 90s at the earliest and an unkown version of the Tu-142 [Bear F], which IRL is an MPA practically dedicated to ASW (in DCS, it only has the Kh-35, a missile I'm not convinced it had IRL and a missile from the 2000s).

SU-17/22

Of which we currently have the M4 version from the 80s - on the theatre the M4 was present, the Lightning had been replaced by the Phantom.

Mig-25

The MiG-25s we have are again from the 1980s, the RBT I guess could be a suitable target for the Lightning, but the PD is an interceptor - not sure why an interceptor would intercept an interceptor.

Mig-23

Which we're getting an MLA and currently have an MLD, the MLA is end of the 70s at the absolute earliest and the MLD being early 80s and again, on the theatre this thread is discussing where they would've been present, there were BLUFOR aircraft that were much more relevant (i.e F-4E/F/K/M, F-15A/C and F-16A).

Mig-27

Of which we have the K, similar story to the MiG-23MLA/MLD.

Mig-19, Mig-21

These are probably the only 2 on the list, relevant to the Lightning on German theatre (Lightning F.2/F.2A were based at Gütersloh from 1965 - 1977)

MI-24, MI-8

Not really, again, the versions we have succeed the Lightning in Germany

Soviet era transports.

Which we only have the An-26 and the Il-76MD, the An-26? Sure, but the Il-76MD is late 70s at the earliest and likely wouldn't be a target in a historical scenario.

Now sure, I've gone from a strictly historical perspective if the Cold War had gone hot, you're of course free to make whatever scenarios you see fit, but as it stands, we don't have the targets the Lightning would've intercepted and only a couple of fighters it could've realistically fought.

• Like 1

System:

• 3 months later...

Hey there folks,

it's been a while. Any news... changes reg. the suggestions here? 

Greetings,
Cabal

• Like 1

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder