T-50CM2 Slider Axis with Detente - What do you use it for?

Shiny

I'm in VR and I'm struggling to find a use for this slider axis on the throttle. I've tried using it for antenna elevation but it's too fine of a control and there's too much lag for accurate control.

What do you use it for?

Flaps where appropriate, e.g. Mustang.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm in VR and I'm struggling to find a use for this slider axis on the throttle. I've tried using it for antenna elevation but it's too fine of a control and there's too much lag for accurate control.

What do you use it for?

I'm assuming the you mean the slider that sets under you left ring finger. I use it for view zoom.

Remember that it's an axis, You can adjust it from a fine to coarse control by using a combination of curves and XY control both in the Virpil software and DCS axis controls.

• Like 1

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

I'm assuming the you mean the slider that sets under you left ring finger. I use it for view zoom.

Remember that it's an axis, You can adjust it from a fine to coarse control by using a combination of curves and XY control both in the Virpil software and DCS axis controls.

He’s in VR and you can’t assign zoom to an axis.

Also, pretty sure he’s talking about the flaps axis. Might be wrong though.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

He’s in VR and you can’t assign zoom to an axis.

Also, pretty sure he’s talking about the flaps axis. Might be wrong though.

I'm talking about the ring finger slider, not the flap one. The flap one I use as my nozzle position in the harrier.

Ah ok. Outside of VR it is generally used for the zoom axis. In VR, I have the switch to the left of it bound to the 2 VR zoom functions and don’t use the slider axis at all.

You should be able to use it for elevation if you apply the proper curve to it. Tell us what acft your looking to set it up in and some ideas of what you might like to use it for. It doesn't even have to be an axis, somebody here will be able to tell you how to program the software to do it.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

You should be able to use it for elevation if you apply the proper curve to it. Tell us what acft your looking to set it up in and some ideas of what you might like to use it for. It doesn't even have to be an axis, somebody here will be able to tell you how to program the software to do it.

I think I know what the problem is with the Hornet elevation axis and it was explained in the hornet forums. The elevation axis there assumes you have to return the analog stick back to center position or else the elevation will keep changing. I have a spare analog stick on my VKB gunfighter for that.

I'll think about it some more and see what I want to use it for.

Generally I want to make my controls similar across the Hornet, Viper, Hog and Harrier since those are the 4 I fly interchangeably. So they all have to react a similar way or else I'm going to be super confused :)

IMO, there is no point in wasting an axis for radar elevation. I use the up/down on the switch to the right of that slider in all modules for that. Similarly, I use left/right on the same switch for radar range.

FYI for everyone using it for zoom outside of VR for whom the detente is a nuisance: if you open the grip to get at the pot, up there's (just) enough readable range on one side of the detente alone to remove the detente entirely from the physical travel range of the lever. Just pop the lever off the pot shaft and rotate it a little bit to where the detente is just beyond the limit stop, put the lever back on. Do this with the Virpil config software open so you can check the raw values on the pot, because if you go too far then you'll have dead travel on the other side. It's a small sweet spot, but I assure you it's there.

• 3 weeks later...

I use it for Antena Elevation and TGP zoom. I've added a curve and a dead zone to it to make it less sensitive. however it's pretty annoying having to return it to center every time. I wish there would be a way to add a spring to it so it returns to center by itself like in the real hornet.

What do you use it for?

i use it as 2 button for the gear up/down. really inmersive in vr cause is easy to grab

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

I use it for Antena Elevation and TGP zoom. I've added a curve and a dead zone to it to make it less sensitive. however it's pretty annoying having to return it to center every time. I wish there would be a way to add a spring to it so it returns to center by itself like in the real hornet.

+1

I'm also using it for antenna elevation. It's only a bit annoying in the Hornet, I've turned my axis saturation down to 10% and the Hornet radar is pretty controllable that way.

I use the 3-way pinkey rocker switch for view zoom in, zoom out, and reset zoom in all modules.

I use it for zoom, couldn't live without it. It allows me to zoom in and zoom out quicker and with more precision than binding it to a hat.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

I use it for zoom, couldn't live without it. It allows me to zoom in and zoom out quicker and with more precision than binding it to a hat.

The OP was talking about VR, and unfortunately, the slider can't be bound to zoom in VR. Perfect in 2D though.

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2020 at 3:13 AM, Thasiet said:

FYI for everyone using it for zoom outside of VR for whom the detente is a nuisance: if you open the grip to get at the pot, up there's (just) enough readable range on one side of the detente alone to remove the detente entirely from the physical travel range of the lever. Just pop the lever off the pot shaft and rotate it a little bit to where the detente is just beyond the limit stop, put the lever back on. Do this with the Virpil config software open so you can check the raw values on the pot, because if you go too far then you'll have dead travel on the other side. It's a small sweet spot, but I assure you it's there.

Wait a second. Your Antenna Elevation lever has a detent in the middle??

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2020 at 2:39 AM, Shiny said:

What do you use it for?

Assign buttons to the axis and use it for vr zoom. 
I fly both vr and track ir and that’s my zoom for both. 
forward is regular zoom and back is spyglass zoom

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Drac said:

Same as above for VR...

Ditto here on my CM3 Throttle, for my two levels of VR Zoom.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Zoom or flaps or radar elevation

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Ditto here on my CM3 Throttle, for my two levels of VR Zoom.

Works like a charm and keeps everything the same so it’s not unnatural if u switch back n forth between vr and just head tracking

2 hours ago, KoN said:

Zoom or flaps or radar elevation

I use the encoder around the biggest hat at the thumb on the throttle for my radar elevation and the handle axis for flaps and gear. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 2:46 AM, Skwirl865 said:

Assign buttons to the axis and use it for vr zoom. 
I fly both vr and track ir and that’s my zoom for both. 
forward is regular zoom and back is spyglass zoom

Can you make it regular zoom backwards as well or are we stuck with spyglass going backwards?

You can bind it whatever way you want!