FLOLS overlay?

Knock-Knock

Can you extend overlay visibility duration? It turns off at critical moment.

It seems like at that point the lights on the ship should be large enough for you to transition to them.

Have you tried doing that? That seems like it's logic.... to act as an assist for the 3d structure not as a complete replacement.

12 pages... Wow!!!

I think next time we should wait for a feature complete module.

See you in 2022 then....

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quite frankly, it should have just released with the option to disable it and noone would have said anything about it.

:megalol::rotflmao:

That was a joke Right?

The complaints still would of flooded in no matter what.

Why is it an option?, The ball is the wrong shade of yellow, ED gave us something that works.

Whinge bloody whinge!

It seems like at that point the lights on the ship should be large enough for you to transition to them.

Have you tried doing that? That seems like it's logic.... to act as an assist for the 3d structure not as a complete replacement.

3d lights are masked by canopy frame in the moment FLOLS overlay dissapears.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

I saw on a video that you can click on it and drag it around.

That's cool, I guess.

Yes, according to page 24 of the manual you can click on the “FLOLS” text and drag it. Maybe in that way you can move it out of the way if you don’t like it and hopefully the position remains saved for the future landings. I will try to move it around next time.

Personally, I have a 1080p 22” monitor and before the Supercarrier I needed to zoom in a lot to see the ball. Just to give a reference: at that zoom level I think that the apparent dimension of the HUD on the monitor was still smaller than its actual dimension in real life.

I’ve also noticed that in a case 3 tutorial video it showed up with very bad visibility caused by bad wheather; the player used it and called the ball although the meatball of the boat was not visible at all.

I’m personally glad that it will become an option, according to Wags (read the quote some pages back). I’m a little undecided about whether I should use it or not.

I personally would rather like to have a section of the screen with a magnified vision of the meatball from that distance, a little bit like the Magnifier tool of Windows. In that way, if it’s covered by mist, clouds or whatever, it will look that way. Talking about visibility, I don’t see the point (:lol:) of doing a Case 3 in daytime if the visibility is not awful, including the visibility of the ball if there is mist in front of it.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

Now that we have the FLOLS-overlay out of the way. We need FLOLS lights to be brighter (like on the Old-Stennis). https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=274022

Yeah, it's WIP, that can take a year, so meanwhile another mod?

FLOLS lights are already too bright for me in VR. Cant make out where it is due to the major glow washing out the green lights until im in close at the ramp.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

If you want to remove the FLOLS overlay which pops in your cockpit just before landing:

- close DCS

- go here C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\tech\Supercarrier\PLATCameraUI

- open FLOLS.lua in admin mod (with Notepad++ for example)

- line 41, replace "FLOLS:setVisible(val)" by "FLOLS:setVisible(false)"

- save, close and restart DCS

And put "false" to "val" to revert

It may not pass the IC

Works great, merci!

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

it became a arcade game. why can't they just increase the light intensity on the ship ??

No, for someone like me I cannot see the ball until I am almost landing so I just never used it. I looked for other visual references. So for someone with poor vision and or a poor resolution monitor its a great aid. Its on the same side as the meatball so for me it lets me finally use the system as intended. GJ and much thanks

DCS 2.5.6.49718 Open Beta hot fix:

Case I recovery mission qualification: IFLOLS overlay doesn't pop up anymore. Run a repair but no change. Any fix?

PS: I haven't touched the .lua

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

DCS 2.5.6.49718 Open Beta hot fix:

Case I recovery mission qualification: IFLOLS overlay doesn't pop up anymore. Run a repair but no change. Any fix?

PS: I haven't touched the .lua

I guess ED has edited the file PLATCameraUI.lua, see Line 40 to 57 :

"local function setHookToRampMarkerPos(widget,feet)

if feet > 45 or feet < -10 then

widget:setVisible(false)

return

else

widget:setVisible(true)

end

local pixel_y = hookToRamp0 + feet * (hookToRamp30 - hookToRamp0)/30

local x,y = widget:getPosition()

local w,h = widget:getSize()

local x0,y0 = LSOStation_.STATIC_GRID:getPosition()

pixel_y = pixel_y - 0.5 * h + y0

widget:setPosition(x,pixel_y)

end":detective:

• 4 months later...
I have just purchased Supercarrier - and as soon as I found out that I cannot disable FLOLS I uninstalled it. So I have paid my £29 or whatever and used it for about 20 minutes. Brilliant plan from Eagle Dynamics.

I'm sorry. A little research would have went a long way for you. There's 15 pages for this particular forum mate. It is still EA! You may as well re-install it until it is fixed. Or not! It is still a cool product!

JJ

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

What a crazy thread. Guess it had run its course before I came to the forums; first I've seen it.

I have just purchased Supercarrier - and as soon as I found out that I cannot disable FLOLS I uninstalled it. So I have paid my £29 or whatever and used it for about 20 minutes. Brilliant plan from Eagle Dynamics.

I don't like it either, and I think ED should create an in-game option to turn it off as well... but listen, doing it manually really is almost as easy. I mean, it takes like 30 seconds. As someone posted earlier:

If you want to remove the FLOLS overlay which pops in your cockpit just before landing:

- close DCS

- go here C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\tech\Supercarrier\PLATCameraUI

- open FLOLS.lua in admin mod (with Notepad++ for example)

- line 41, replace "FLOLS:setVisible(val)" by "FLOLS:setVisible(false)"

- save, close and restart DCS

And put "false" to "val" to revert

It may not pass the IC

It DOES pass the IC. You literally have to replace the word "val" with the word "false", and press ctrl + s. One time. (Ok, and after an update).

Your choice of course if you still want to not use the module you paid for, but it is easily the single best implementation of naval aviation ever realized on a desktop sim. It's certainly worth using.

Use this (OVGME ready) , unzip & place "Mods" folder in main DCS directory & overwrite. Do this every time after an DCS update or learn how to manage your mods with OVGME.

That ED haven't done this "FLOLS-overlay" optional is crazy!

CV FLOLS overlay off.rar

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• 1 month later...

About time that ED actually made this an option in the specials tab - given that they said they would.  Not a fan of modding the game.

This was a week one request from the community and its such an immersion killer in VR - also on the turn into the carrier for landing actually blocks my view of the and also at night its just blinding.

When will this be done?  It is frankly very poor that your customers are having to sort it out themselves for what is a 5 minute addition of work.

Simply not good enough that a simple request has gone on for so long.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK
  • Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps we should reverse the course and tell the devs how much we like this mandatory pop-up monstrosity (especially at night, 3nm from the boat), maybe then they'll say: 'Aha, you like this? Consider it gone!" 😬

Well, it doesn't take much to edit the FLOLS file and I do after every update.

BTW, has anyone figured out how to edit the glow of the FLOLS on the carrier. At night, it looks horrendous, so do the nav lights on the Hornet. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2020 at 7:39 AM, ollk22 said:

Folks how come this mod doesn't work for me? Edited the file, in admin, and reopened to make sure it saved. Still get FLOLS 😬

Did you updated DCS after the mod?  I guess this file will be overwritten each time you update DCS.