Running DCS on a Virtual Machine locally

Is it possible to run DCS on a VM that I install locally?

I understand there might be issues with getting my local GPU to 'passthrough' to the VM?

I'd like to be able to run a version of DCS on my local machine in a VM, with the GPU I have installed on my local machine.

Is this possible? & how might I start to get it done?

You could try https://www.virtualbox.org/

If it hasn't changed since I last used it, you'll have to install some kind of guest extensions to the guest OS, basically a set of drivers for the VM. VBox has been able to utilize the graphics card for years already. And the driver set is required for that to work. You'll see if it's installed when you can seamlessly act with your mouse in the VM window without it capturing your cursor. And it's possible to run the VM in seamless mode to just have it on a second monitor for example.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

HiJack -

- I am not looking to set up a server - I am looking to just play DCS in a VM, install standard DCS world and run the aircraft that I have already bought, with the graphics card I have installed on my physical local machine.

It sounds like you don't think this isn't possible?

Can you say why? - when others are saying it is possible?

The VM works the same as any machine with the exception that it allows you to run an operating system other than the original operating system. Like an operating system running inside an operating system(a.k.a. virtually).

Example: you can install and run(from a VM) Windows 7 on a Windows 10 machine.

So yeah, as long as the program/s you want to run have support for/from the operating system you can run it the same as you would on any machine.

only question is; which operating system do you want to install on the VM?

The VM will not emulate the graphics card that you have installed.

You never know where new tech will take virtualization but for VirtualBox it will not emulate the GPU and will therefor give you a terrible graphics resolution to run DCS in.

The VM will not emulate the graphics card that you have installed.

You never know where new tech will take virtualization but for VirtualBox it will not emulate the GPU and will therefor give you a terrible graphics resolution to run DCS in.

I had no problems with graphics on a VM.:pilotfly:

At least try it before you knock it.

Edited by LuckyFromArma

I had no problems with graphics on a VM.:pilotfly:

At least try it before you knock it.

so, what VM app did you use?

I just want to run DCS on a windows machine and use the graphics card I have installed on my physical local machine.

I want to mirror my physical local machine as closely as possible.

Is this possible - has anyone done it?

How did they do it?

What software did they use?

so, what VM app did you use?

I just want to run DCS on a windows machine and use the graphics card I have installed on my physical local machine.

I want to mirror my physical local machine as closely as possible.

Is this possible - has anyone done it?

How did they do it?

What software did they use?

I've ran a lot games on my old system using VB. It runs DCS, Arma III, GTA V, and a couple other games like Doom using the graphics card that's installed on the machine; what other graphics card would you use?

Look here for How To's https://forums.virtualbox.org/

Long as your MB supports virtualization you can install VB, an operating system and whatever programs the OS supports. :pilotfly:

Edited by LuckyFromArma

dont forget problems with USB and sound. i have had to try to get certain printers and scanners to pass through to a VM. i cant imagine flight controls would be possible. but hey try it and send us pics of the mushroom cloud. ;-)

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

dont forget problems with USB and sound. i have had to try to get certain printers and scanners to pass through to a VM. i cant imagine flight controls would be possible. but hey try it and send us pics of the mushroom cloud. ;-)

"the mushroom cloud" :lol:

Yeah this is not for gaming at all, I barely got an old Windows XP game working on Win7 VM on a Win10 Host.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Yeah this is not for gaming at all, I barely got an old Windows XP game working on Win7 VM on a Win10 Host.

Now that I think about it, the VM did take a minute to load and was quite a bit slower than running on an actual machine.

Makes me wonder why the OP wants to run on a VM in the first place.:pilotfly:

You can do it via passing the GPU through to the the VM. It works fine under KVM/QEMU. I can't speak to the other systems.

Windows itself runs better/faster hosted under qemu than on raw hardware. GPU passthrough is 1-to-1 - same difference.

The issue becomes having a motherboard and GPU sets worth the configuration. Once a GPU is setup for pass-through it is non-trivial to make in available to the host OS so if you want GPU acceleration on your Linux host you need two GPUs or a lot of patience switching back and forth (to what end?).

Newer AMD AM4 boards should have enough PCI channels to provide two 16x slots for GPUs and a few other PCI cards and M.2 storage. Not sure on the Intel side.

The only thing that gives me pause is that DCS is so CPU bound... your host better have fast and many cores.

HTH

@amperasand: Just a side question: Why would you run DCS in a VM environment?

Edit: LuckyFromArma asked the same above... :-)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!