Hardware Components

CobraKhan

Good afternoon all, my first post here and I dont even know if this is the correct section to be asking this!

I currently don’t own a version of DCS, nor have I ever played it. Only seen it in YouTube videos however am very interested in a potential setup. I have been doing some homework on hardware components, budgetary purposes type of research. Stick, throttle, rudder pedals, TrackIR, headset, etc.

It appears that a guy could go cheap to start with, or outlay some cash and buy quality components right from the beginning. Unfortunately, if a guy were to make the decision to purchase the good stuff to begin with, a huge problem is that those items are typically out of stock, like you would need to get onto some type of waiting list! Am I wrong in that? Are there unknown vendors that have items stocked but these folk are simply not easily found via a Google search? Or is it that I basically would be forced to buy the inexpensive stuff while the quality items are on backorder, knowing that those initial purchases will be a throw away?

I currently don’t own a version of DCS, nor have I ever played it. Only seen it in YouTube videos however am very interested in a potential setup. I have been doing some homework on hardware components, budgetary purposes type of research. Stick, throttle, rudder pedals, TrackIR, headset, etc.

In my humble opinion, before considering those peripherals, begin by trying out DCS .. take advantage that it is free to start with a 2 aircraft collection (of course, its maker is betting that you will want to purchase more planes later).

Download it now and try it out on your PC, this way you will be able to gauge if your Computer can actually handle it, before spending $$$ on any type of peripheral.

If the game does work, then the first item to purchase is a Basic HOTAS or Joystick. The second would be a headtracking setup (TrackIR is the most expensive one, but there are cheaper alternatives).

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you for the replies. From the sounds of it, you can actually run the program and fly the airplane without any HOTAS or Joystick by simply utilzing the compter keyboard and mouse exclusively? To me, that honestly doesn't sound like the greatest of fun if you were to do that. Doesn't seem like it would even fall into the relm of a simulator at that point, but maybe I am wrong in that thought.

Watching YouTube videos, even though they are using top end equipment, it appears that some functions are still completed using the computer mouse - clicking toggles, buttons, etc., particularly when starting from a cold start. Is that really the situation? Are you using your computer mouse or is that accomplished with a button on the stick or throttle?

One of the core features of DCS is the clickable cockpits . Among other things , this allows new users to use entry-level Hotas , as expected . And yes , even with lots of hotas buttons , you will still be using the mouse for some functions .

Note : FC3 aircraft (and soon to be MAC , are Not clickable .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

From the sounds of it, you can actually run the program and fly the airplane without any HOTAS or Joystick by simply utilzing the compter keyboard and mouse exclusively?

Yes, the minimum to use dcs is a keyboard and a mouse ... plus 8 GB of Ram and a modern processor and video card.

To me, that honestly doesn't sound like the greatest of fun if you were to do that.

Believe it or not, there are people who fly with just the minimum .. I suggested it as a cheap way for you to do a proper due-diligence and check if the rest of your PC can actually run DCS or not.

Watching YouTube videos, even though they are using top end equipment, it appears that some functions are still completed using the computer mouse - clicking toggles, buttons, etc., particularly when starting from a cold start. Is that really the situation? Are you using your computer mouse or is that accomplished with a button on the stick or throttle?

You operate the simulated cockpit controls using the computer mouse, except the older aircrafts (like the free Su-25T) that only use Keyboard commands.

If you have a Stick and throttle you can bind some of the command onto their buttons, but you will still need the keyboard as there are not enough buttons on a Hotas for having all commands binded.

You can also use voice control instead of a keyboard.

Finally, stop viewing YT videos and test DCS yourself, on your own machine ... you will learn a great deal more than just watching :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB