Heatblur - Can we get a "Jester- IFF Target" Cmd?

I dont want to jump in the back to do it and I barely know how to use the radar.

Jester seems to not use IFF and Ive had him call out locked friendliesive also shot 3 f14s down in the past 4 days that were dogfighting for their lives and Id STT them "TARGET! 30 MILES!" "TARGET! 20 MILES" and after a few minutes Id cave and fire. Once to be horrified (it was a black black night) when the target turnes in the tcs and I barely made out the twin exhausts. The other 2 I never even was close enough to Viz ID.

Please though or even a awacs raygun command?

And when you are in MP without a human RIO, you can't jump in the back to IFF so yes it would be nice if he'd do his friggin job!!!!

HAha.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Interesting, I've had "you've locked a friendly" or some variation when in multiplayer.

The other thing is, said friendly was trying to dogfight me and shooting at me on purpose (okay, he's a special case, not a problem), and Jester was still telling me it's a friendly.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Generally speaking, firing into a fur ball is a universally bad idea.

Yeah but this is the thing. Ive been flying a lot of SO lately and from front seat only its very easy to hit friendlies if theres enemies and friendlies in the same airspace.

Jester isnt ALWAYS immediately saying "locked a friendly" he very often doesnt at all. Its a significant part of the radar, and furthermore if one has to say save friendlies being jumped IRL Im sure you'd fire a missile on a definite hostile in the midst of friendlies. If it was life or death? Probably not a missile that goes pitbull but this problem exists with any missile.

I just really dont see the harm in adding a jester>BVR>IFF>interrogate or STT Lock>IFF INT. Being option 4

[...] furthermore if one has to say save friendlies being jumped IRL Im sure you'd fire a missile on a definite hostile in the midst of friendlies. If it was life or death?

If your missile is just as likely to kill your buddy as an enemy's, you're not really helping him. Even if it's literally the last possible option available, it's still a terrible idea and speaks more to a general failure of tactics than anything else. I'm all for HB adding an IFF button for Jester, but shooting into a dynamic situation like that where you're not able to predict where everyone is going to go is a recipe for fratricide.

Friendlies and hostiles maneuvering in a confined air space creates a massive amount of problems. As you're finding out IFF is one of them. Even if you achieve positive IFF at range, there's the possibility your radar will switch targets due to a friendly flying too close to a target. A Phoenix in that situation is about as likely to engage a friendly as an enemy. In the sim an AIM-7 is less likely to switch targets but it's still a possibility. Heck, I've even been in a situation where a buddy thought he was "helping" and fired off two missiles into a fight. The first missile completely obliterated the target, the second punched through the debris field and acquired the first thing it happened to see, which was me.

If you want to help you're better off closing to a range you can get a positive visual ID on what you're locking up and are able to ensure you've got a clear field of fire before shooting. If it were an actual player you were helping, you could also tell them to run in your direction, dragging the hostiles behind him and giving you better opportunity to sort and shoot.

If your missile is just as likely to kill your buddy as an enemy's, you're not really helping him. Even if it's literally the last possible option available, it's still a terrible idea and speaks more to a general failure of tactics than anything else. I'm all for HB adding an IFF button for Jester, but shooting into a dynamic situation like that where you're not able to predict where everyone is going to go is a recipe for fratricide.

Friendlies and hostiles maneuvering in a confined air space creates a massive amount of problems. As you're finding out IFF is one of them. Even if you achieve positive IFF at range, there's the possibility your radar will switch targets due to a friendly flying too close to a target. A Phoenix in that situation is about as likely to engage a friendly as an enemy. In the sim an AIM-7 is less likely to switch targets but it's still a possibility. Heck, I've even been in a situation where a buddy thought he was "helping" and fired off two missiles into a fight. The first missile completely obliterated the target, the second punched through the debris field and acquired the first thing it happened to see, which was me.

If you want to help you're better off closing to a range you can get a positive visual ID on what you're locking up and are able to ensure you've got a clear field of fire before shooting. If it were an actual player you were helping, you could also tell them to run in your direction, dragging the hostiles behind him and giving you better opportunity to sort and shoot.

With all due respect though - isnt basically the entire back and forth you and I are having off topic? Worse it gives the appearance at a glance of community divisiveness on the issue. The tactics, all that are irrelevant to whether or not jester should have an IFF interrogate option.

I can name 50 other scenarios where its just useful. Fly in a multiple package sortie near Bandar Abbas and that area. Its not even a matter then of shooting into a furball - you can easily have 8 friendlies 10 miles in front heading northwest to hit the port. At 45 miles at the port theres an enemy cap but azimuth wise theyre in the same "zone" as the package. Then theres also enemy planes doing their thing off azimuth, and you perhaps engage or do whatever not have perfect SA and suddenly you just have a bunch of radar tracks. The best you can do is TCS which is risking SAMs and time, nevermind the threat aerially, or use the range from stt pick my target.. as I have said before.

But again it and the point you make while good are entirely irrelevant, bordering onna strawman anti argument.

Why the hell can we have ground stabilize and the back seat backup ILS thing they added, when IFF interrogate is button number 4 on the DDD? I mean they got about 15 buttons on that - so it must be fairly important or they thought so.

Further I do not see the issue whatsoever. I dont care if the radar in game really interrogates anything - just code it to chabge the symbol to what it truly is symbology wise - hostile or friendly; not vague contacts.

And yes Im well aware jester is supposed to sort contacts into friendlies and call them out. Real life aside in the actual game we are playing if you fly a lot (And I have been..) jester doesnt always say friendly, especially if youre sorting through contacts via STT - it seems to glitch him and after reporting one he wont say it again fot a few minutes even on diff targets. He sometimes does but not always. And Im on datalink from the awacs - the targets still appear as unidentified almost 90 percent of the time when I know a button push can solve the entire problem.

No it wouldnt be a crutch for bad habits but still. Another example that has nothing to do with bad habits - flying solo as an iranian in the dce camp. USAF to my west, French to my.South, US Navy to my east. I down 2 F16s. Im getting missiles shot at me everywhere yet nothings showing up on radar.

Finally ! A contact! And maybe 1 or 2 min before jester yelled its game time and said 5 o clock HIGH.

I STT lock the target and its HIGH and its avout 12 miles away. Too far. I slam AB and climb to get the missile height and energy. It was locked for 45 seconds to 1 minute full before I fired. Jester didnt say anything besides TARGET 11 MILES

10 MILES

9 MILES

8 MILES

I fire....

And hit a friendly tanker.

So to summarize it wont fix bad habits - but that shoot down and MANY others wouldnt have happened.

Firing weapon into a furball or not - at least let me know if Im locked onto a friendly or a hostile! If I want to use bad tactics thats on me - but as it is this is sorely needed and I doubt would take excessive work

Well its fired

Better hope your tws sends the right info before the missiles own radar goes active..

Oh AND that jester starts yelling way more about locking friendlies. If they wont do IFF interrogate Id be happy with them changing it also so BVR friendly targets got the "dont shoot" X (that you can fire over anyways)

IRL thered be comms between the crew and someone would say ok fox 3 and Jester would be screaming long before that if you were locked on a friendly etc.

Frankly since its AI im glad theres front seat launch capability but otherwise if I had a human Id let him decide on 3/4s of phoenix launches. I can always yell at a human about the damned IFF button being right there

How does Jester ID contacts? Is he using IFF or TCS?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I dont know. Pretty upset once again. No furball this time. We had enemy F14s incoming. We only have US liveries mostly and F14bs too wo its hard to tell and I had a 4 ship for once. I got no kills except a fratricide. Jester called out a bunch of buddy locks last night. Yet this one we STT'd. I could see it was an F14 , but it looked like an enemy given the aspect... i saw no missile.when 3 said fox 3.. he was STT'd over 120 seconds. Thats a long time. Finally an F14 at 12 oclock (where he was) went from locking me to actively shooting... i shot a phoenix and immediarely went defensive. He was 18 miles i felt the m.j issile would find him. It did.

When he said "3 missile.launch!" I wasnt worried. Suddenly he said ejecting and F14B dmged DESTROYED . Showed up. I felt sick. Hed just killed 2 f15s. Another wingman got a friggin us tanker!

Idk how jester does it. I know in the back how you do it is you hold IFF and all the DDD contacts freeze and are shown as friendlies or enemies based on the bars over them. (1 or 2) its quick and easy. If someones back there or ur a well trained rio. I just either want to be ae.to demand jester IFF interrogate targets and if its only within 80 mile or something itd make sense. If STT'd its cool he usually says buddy lock, but that big X that flashes when a missile launch is no good would be a nice option of they cant force a jester iff. Otherwise with STT asking for iff interrogate means just that target

Its a DDD button and the 4th button (or 3rd?) In 2 front and center rows

Someone thought it was somewhat important.