Stuttering with new build

Hi All, Looking for a little help with a weird issue on a new build. I've been testing out the new build and noticed bad stutters in DCS. I've tried OB/Stable and different modules and maps with the same result. Also tried uninstall/reinstall as well.

These are all new parts except the GPU however other games I've testing have worked fine. I've tried full/window and max preload radius, v-sync on/off. My previous build was on a Sata SSD with a 4790k and ran perfectly.

Specs:

R9 3900x

ASUS x570 Pro

FireCuda 520 1TB NVME

GTX 1080TI

32GB DDR4

W10 Pro

I made a short video of the issue. It's easy to see if you look at the buildings in the center of the screen. Is there a setting in windows or DCS that I should be looking at ?

did you copy folders or clean install? if the former update drivers and delete the fxo and metashaders2 folders? i had similar problems and i had to go through all sorts of stuff to get it straight.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Looks like too much throttle on the CPU. Fix is how you look at it. 1. Open Task manager and use performance tab to see what your cpu and gpu is doing. 2. Lower all setting to minimum, Graphics, Distance, everything. Run the sim and note the CPU and GPU. 3. Turn up the Graphics textures and fly with only that improved and take note of the CPU/GPU. Add things Like heat blur and trees and take note of the CPU/GPU. Only you can find the tick, I think that your CPU has too many things going on and if you look at the performance of it right now, it will not be at 100% usage or close to it. The best way to configure a game is to start with lowest settings, My fix was the VR Shaders, AMAZING...... But your issue is your just pushing your equipment a little too hard. VR Shaders will fix or Ease up a bit on the graphics ;)

You should make sure your Nvidia card is set to Maximum Performance in the Nvidia control panel

Ultimate Performance for windows 10

Make sure game mode is turned off

Look into turning off your Security software firewall, Known issue with performance

if you have a 4k monitor, turning your monitor off will help gpu

Taking your sound off the 1080 and using the sound off your mainboard will help your 1080, sound

is no different or better on either device.

Turn off your Virtual memory, you have 32gig

All these things should make a small to big difference

did you copy folders or clean install? if the former update drivers and delete the fxo and metashaders2 folders? i had similar problems and i had to go through all sorts of stuff to get it straight.

This is a clean install of OS and Game.

Hi All, Looking for a little help with a weird issue on a new build. I've been testing out the new build and noticed bad stutters in DCS. I've tried OB/Stable and different modules and maps with the same result. Also tried uninstall/reinstall as well.

These are all new parts except the GPU however other games I've testing have worked fine. I've tried full/window and max preload radius, v-sync on/off. My previous build was on a Sata SSD with a 4790k and ran perfectly.

Specs:

R9 3900x

ASUS x570 Pro

FireCuda 520 1TB NVME

GTX 1080TI

32GB DDR4

W10 Pro

I made a short video of the issue. It's easy to see if you look at the buildings in the center of the screen. Is there a setting in windows or DCS that I should be looking at ?

Do you have adaptive refresh (G-Sync/Freesync) enabled and working?

It's the only way I've ever been able to run DCS without constant stuttering. Use VSync turned on in the graphics driver to clamp the framerate at your monitor's refresh rate, don't use anything else to clamp the FPS--not even in-game VSync.

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

turn off hyperthreading and post your results

On the Ryzen 9, I think this is called SMT. I tried it with no difference.

Well the bottleneck is definitely the GPU on this system. That said, "video unavailable". I assume the RAM is 3200+ Mhz and all matching?

I'm not sure about this. This same GPU performed fine with the same graphics settings and resolution on a Sata II drive.

Do you have adaptive refresh (G-Sync/Freesync) enabled and working?

It's the only way I've ever been able to run DCS without constant stuttering. Use VSync tuned on in the graphics driver to clamp the framerate at your monitor's refresh rate, don't use anything else to clamp the FPS--not even in-game VSync.

AD

I have a gysnc monitor and it's always worked fine. I just tried forcing vsync in the nvidia settings but that didn't make a difference.

My guess:

1) BIOS - load optimized default settings and start from there (Dont do this if you dont have any idea what BIOS is and how to work with it at least in basic)

2) When I had new computer and some of these happend, it was always because of CPU cooler

3) On the other hand when I got 1080Ti, it was PSU

What wattage is your PSU?

Are you playing in VR ?

Edited by Wexler

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

So, my suspicion of this being a storage related issue is confirmed, running the same graphical settings on a 5 year old Sata 2 drive works perfectly for DCS on this new build.

I also ran another test where I installed Windows on the SATA drive and DCS on the NVME drive and the stuttering was there again.

At this point, this looks to be some type of issue with issue with how DCS is running in that name drive. I'm not sure of a solution at this point.

So, my suspicion of this being a storage related issue is confirmed, running the same graphical settings on a 5 year old Sata 2 drive works perfectly for DCS on this new build.

I also ran another test where I installed Windows on the SATA drive and DCS on the NVME drive and the stuttering was there again.

At this point, this looks to be some type of issue with issue with how DCS is running in that name drive. I'm not sure of a solution at this point.

Check the manual to motherboard (related to nvme). and play with bios.

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

bios update necessary, did you update already once on your new motherboard?

but like I said also check for background processes, for example steam downloading in the background, the fast ssd transferrates put a lot of stress on the hardware

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Updated bios, and checked a few settings related the onboard controllers and nvme settings. Reset the to defaults as well. As I mentioned this is a clean build so Chrome, and dcs are the only things installed apart from basic drivers.

I also am confident the NVME drive isn't overheating. At least I haven't seen signs of throttling even in benchmark tests.

Is this just an issue with DCS ? Anyone with a similar setup ?

Just to remind, I am on stable build - 2.5.5.

Edited by goon3r

I had problems in the past when steam was heavy downloading in the background. Do not know what solved my problem. I had high cpu load during steam downloads.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

What is your pixel density setting in DCS?

I'm not using VR but I see its set to 1.0.

My resolution is 3440 x 1440.

Also here's a comparison of what I see as far as disk usage when running on the nvme drive vs the sata drive:

Notice the spikes on the faster drive and continual disk access vs on the slower drive. Also, notice the transfer rate difference.

NVME

attachment.php?attachmentid=235923&stc=1&d=1589649615

SATA

attachment.php?attachmentid=235924&stc=1&d=1589649615

2020-05-162.thumb.jpg.9d3ad833aaf5b34f385d8bb64d0a10a7.jpg

2020-05-16.thumb.jpg.ff734760cf0814df5adab8b4c562f6b6.jpg

Have you tried disabling Windows Game Mode?

No, I haven't tried this since most of the reading I've done suggests I should enable that. Whats the purpose of that setting anyway ?

Edited by goon3r

So, I've validated that the problem here is my setup and the Seagate Firecuda 520 drive. I tried a replacement unit of the same model drive and found the same issue persisted.

I was finally able to resolve by replacing with a Samsung 970 NVME drive. This is without having to touch any bios, windows, or DCS settings.

I'm not using VR but I see its set to 1.0.

My resolution is 3440 x 1440.

Also here's a comparison of what I see as far as disk usage when running on the nvme drive vs the sata drive:

Notice the spikes on the faster drive and continual disk access vs on the slower drive. Also, notice the transfer rate difference.

NVME

attachment.php?attachmentid=235923&stc=1&d=1589649615

SATA

attachment.php?attachmentid=235924&stc=1&d=1589649615

Hi, I have also had the same issues on a recent build. I was getting a similar result as you have shown in task manager.

After trying ALL the various tricks and settings that have been posted, none of them worked for me, I decided to try and eliminate possible hardware sources of the problem.

I shut down my computer and dis-connected all of my usb devices. I have a lot! lol

I rebooted and fired up DCS and the stutters were gone!

So, I reconnected one device at a time to try and isolate the offending one.

It turns out that one of my USB external powered hubs was causing the issue. I tested several times and could make the game stutter and then not stutter, so I know this is the problem. Bear in mind I kept note of where I had all my devices plugged in and I plugged and unplugged each device into the same physical port on the computer.

On a whim, I decided to plug the offending USB hub into a different port, and the stutters did not come back!!!!!

I have no idea on why this worked for me but wanted to share in case someone else wants to try and see if this works for them.

All this time, I was cussing DCS for bad performance and it turns out my computer was the culprit.

Happy flying!

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

DCS World, Simshaker for Aviators, sound module

Modules: P51, F/18, All Rotor craft, F14, F16, FC3

Super Carrier

On a whim, I decided to plug the offending USB hub into a different port, and the stutters did not come back!!!!!

I have no idea on why this worked for me but wanted to share in case someone else wants to try and see if this works for them.

All this time, I was cussing DCS for bad performance and it turns out my computer was the culprit.

Happy flying!

Yeah, you should be ashamed of youself... :thumbup:

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB