Landing issues

GR00VYJERRY

Hello all. I was flying the P-51 just fine and landing safely albeit roughly in some instances. Lately I have been having issues with skidding out when landing. I have been flying with landing assist off since day one. Not sure if that does anything when landing.

I was able to land fine from day one, including crosswind. The last couple days i have been smoothly landing but as I cruise down the runway I start skidding either left or right. I try to rudder opposite and I end up wing down in the dirt. Not sure what is going on. I noticed some slop in my rudders so I adjusted the deadzone and set the curve 30.

For reference:

Pitch and roll are set to:

Deadzone - 0

X and Y saturation - 100

Curvature - 17

Rudders:

Deadzone - 20 (any lower and I dont feel much resistance in the peddles which makes it hard to feel what is going on. 20 takes up the slack.)

X an Y saturation - 100

Curvature - 30 (So I don't over use the rudder)

Any suggestion on technique or rudder curvature? Like I said the landings are smooth. No bouncing. I usually roll for a few second and then start to skid.

Thanks

Edited by GR00VYJERRY

Fly a short, preferrably air-start mission with full landing in it, save a track and post it here. It's easier to advice when we can play it and see what's happening as description alone is a bit too vague in this case.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

your main problem is rudder dead zone, set it for 5 max.

dead zone at 20 increase rudder to rudder movement, so you basically shorten your range in device but still have same range in game, makes your setup extremely sensitive and unprecise.

You are skidding because you cant react in time with your rudder, your reactions are too late and because of your dead zone and high curvature you are over controlling it.

Set dead zone to 2-4 curvature max to 25 and just learn to be precise.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Hello all. I was flying the P-51 just fine and landing safely albeit roughly in some instances. Lately I have been having issues with skidding out when landing. I have been flying with landing assist off since day one. Not sure if that does anything when landing.

I was able to land fine from day one, including crosswind. The last couple days i have been smoothly landing but as I cruise down the runway I start skidding either left or right. I try to rudder opposite and I end up wing down in the dirt. Not sure what is going on. I noticed some slop in my rudders so I adjusted the deadzone and set the curve 30.

For reference:

Pitch and roll are set to:

Deadzone - 0

X and Y saturation - 100

Curvature - 17

Rudders:

Deadzone - 20 (any lower and I dont feel much resistance in the peddles which makes it hard to feel what is going on. 20 takes up the slack.)

X an Y saturation - 100

Curvature - 30 (So I don't over use the rudder)

Any suggestion on technique or rudder curvature? Like I said the landings are smooth. No bouncing. I usually roll for a few second and then start to skid.

Thanks

First check your special tabs. I from time to time notice that for unknown reasons DCS resets those settings and you suddenly fly around with full rudder assist although you have actually not set it up that way.

Second. As spee said, i find the rudder axis rather weird. Not sure which rudders you use, but i wouldn't put in to much deadzone. You want to be able to have quick feets, which a large deadzone simply doesnt allow.

Additionally in the Mustang, are you sure you have the tailwheel locked and steerable when you cruise down the runway. I make it a habit to have to stick in my lap all they way down, and really only unlock on purpose for tight turns.

I have all the WWII aircraft, and for me the P-51 is the easiest to handle in take-off and landing. On the ground it's a dream as it has tailwheel steering and the wheelbrakes are very smooth yet powerful. Ground handling is a dream when you come from any other warbird. So I'm really puzzled about Groovyjerry's experience. It sounds to me as if he had a conflict between axes, e.g. multiple devices bound to the same axis as happens with new modules due to ED's default settings. Or maybe the wheelbrakes are not set to "Invert" which is certainly necessary on my MFG pedals. I have no curves or deadbands at all on the P-51. Of course it depends on one's gear but I see no need for curves at all; maybe a bit of deadband if your game controllers have a "noisy" zero position.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I have all the WWII aircraft, and for me the P-51 is the easiest to handle in take-off and landing. On the ground it's a dream as it has tailwheel steering and the wheelbrakes are very smooth yet powerful. Ground handling is a dream when you come from any other warbird. So I'm really puzzled about Groovyjerry's experience. It sounds to me as if he had a conflict between axes, e.g. multiple devices bound to the same axis as happens with new modules due to ED's default settings. Or maybe the wheelbrakes are not set to "Invert" which is certainly necessary on my MFG pedals. I have no curves or deadbands at all on the P-51. Of course it depends on one's gear but I see no need for curves at all; maybe a bit of deadband if your game controllers have a "noisy" zero position.

I have cheap rudder pedals from TM, believe me, w/o curvature on rudder axis at high speeds it is impossible to correct ball or aim at ground target, even the smallest movement possible ball is jumping left right like crazy. Especially annoying when trying to hit something the ground.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor