LSO Grading

ScAvenger001

I just watched Spudknocker's

and there are some things I don't understand about the grading. It seems like the LSO is very forgiving in some odd ways.

As one example, when Spud intentionally gets waved off at 11:15, the grade is WO: FX LURX (LUR)IM WO(AFU)IC. What jumped out at me here is that the "very line-up right" at the start turned into a "slightly line up right" in the middle. In terms of approach angle, Spud's line-up deviation didn't change much. He was technically closer to the centerline, yes, but usually these things are measured by angle of deviation rather than specific distance from the centerline. What's more, that "slight" LUR prompted a wave-off a few seconds later. I'm pretty sure a "slight" error is something that should still be allowable, and either it should have not needed a WO (which it did) or the LUR shouldn't have been reduced to a (LUR).

Some other notes on this specific approach before moving on: I've seen it elsewhere that all the notes for a specific phase of the approach are grouped together (so, FLURX instead of FX LURX). Also, is AFU supposed to be in parentheses? Is that meant to indicate that he's only slightly all-f**ed up or is that just an idiosyncrasy?

For the two approaches Spud landed (14:51 and 18:17), the grades were OK: FX Wire #4 and OK: Wire #3 respectively. A few days ago, Wags posted a video of a Case I approach that ended with him receiving OK: LULX Wire #2. Now, my understanding is that an underlined-OK indicates a truly superb performance, such as flying a flawlessly textbook approach, or flying an approach that would otherwise be a non-underlined OK under unusually trying conditions such as bad weather or aircraft damage. I've read that even a very experienced pilot is unlikely to get more than one OK in his whole career. All of the above landings were competently flown, but calling them "superb" or "flawless" would be a bit much.

What's more, the grade didn't record any of the minor deviations. Understanding where there's room for improvement is very important for debriefing purposes, so it would be nice if the LSO had higher standards for what needs to be remarked upon. Spud's second landing is an excellent example of this since he comments on many of his own slight deviations as he goes: he drifted left in close and his ball control wobbled up and down a bit. He was also fairly long in the groove. None of these are major deviations, but pointing out minor ones is the first step to correcting them for future passes. Instead the LSO told him that he was completely perfect.

I have various other minor comments, but this covers most of my significant concerns. I really hope that the LSO becomes stricter, because OK passes being handed out like candy will cheapen them for pilots who put in the effort to fly really excellently behind the boat. And every bit of feedback from the LSO about where there's room to improve will definitely help the learning process.

PS- Will LSO grades be stored somewhere or should I get in the habit of taking a screenshot after every trap?

This is what EA is about, you have something that provides a result, you can provide feedback about improving it...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

This is what EA is about, you have something that provides a result, you can provide feedback about improving it...

Yep, hopefully the current beta testers are providing that feedback. So far none of the folks that have been putting out videos of the SC have impressed me with their ability to fly a correct pattern (with the exception of Wags who is a great pilot).

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Well when it reaches ea, that’s the actual start of the beta test...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I know I should have researched this, but I was REALLY hoping for the grading graphs like the lucky tomcatters have.

At the moment I've paid my money for the lineup light at the stern of the boat and the shiny ball symbology that pops up when in the groove!