Help firing IR TV Maverick

DimSim

Please help me fire a maverick.

I'm trying to fire an IR via TV and DMT.

Gone through the check list 100x.

Attached screen shot to show the cockpit state where I think I need only pickle, but no weapon release for me.

Note that although the screenshot shows 11.1m to target, closer ranges do not help, in fact what I believe is the lock symbol disappears when close.

Playing with Open Beta.

Using Redkite Harrier tutorial mission and Syds's checklist, which does match others I've read.

EDIT: Seems I'm not identifying when Mav is locked. Still trying to figure this out.

NoMavForMe1.thumb.jpg.fec5783e7837b1e3a46f929298ea172c.jpg

Edited by DimSim

Do you find TDC slew to be bugged? When I slew the view jumps all over the place.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I have the same issue locking Maverick. Good contrast so this should not be an issue.

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Do you find TDC slew to be bugged? When I slew the view jumps all over the place.

I think so, not related to my issue, but sometimes the TDC does jump around erratically while attempting to slew. I also see the view being obscured by the aircraft in positions I don't think it should. Just assumed I was doing something wrong.

Please help me fire a maverick.

I'm trying to fire an IR via TV and DMT.

Note that although the screenshot shows 11.1m to target, closer ranges do not help, in fact what I believe is the lock symbol disappears when close.

Playing with Open Beta.

Using Redkite Harrier tutorial mission and Syds's checklist, which does match others I've read.

EDIT: Seems I'm not identifying when Mav is locked. Still trying to figure this out.

Lock range of the AGM-65G is approx. 7-5 Nm when using narrow FOV, cross hairs close if the seeker has a good lock. To launch, the seeker head "+" needs to be in the "10°/15° key hole".

Please share a short track.

I have the same issue locking Maverick. Good contrast so this should not be an issue.

DCS doesn't model contrast lock, which is why the Mav can lock on some targets with poor contrast (i.e. lamp posts) and/or not others i.e. some static objects.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks. Will try that again.

Does the keyhole symbology look like A-10C? AFAIK it comes from the missile, not the jet.

Thanks, having some more success also...

I see the large cross hair 'closes in tight' as you said, indicating lock. That is, the clear center of the crosshair is almost gone.

I'm still not sure why the maverick, when looking good, locked, and fired, sometimes lands far from the target. This model is fire and forget.

I also saw the TDC slew suddenly jump a long way for no reason.

Does the keyhole symbology look like A-10C?

Yes

AFAIK it comes from the missile, not the jet.

Yes, it's due to manoeuvring/tracking limits of the missile - 10° circle, 15° down (assisted by gravity).

There are 3 horizontal lines with 5° spacing to help judge the angle, in the OP's picture the seeker "+" is between the 2nd and 3rd lines, so is looking between 10°-15° and in the launch "key hole".

If the seeker cross is outside the "keyhole", the missile is likely to miss if launched.

Z4GQFei.png

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have been teaching a friend how to use the Mavs via multiplayer and have a problem that we just can't get around: we're getting to the point where he has the Mav locked on target, the cross-hairs have closed and, as far as I can tell, all is good to go. Unfortunately, on pressing the pickle button the missile does not release.

I am in a second Harrier, flying on his wing, duplicating what he does and I have no issues locking up and firing on the targets. I am using the latest stable branch.

I have talked it through and checked:

- Master Arm is on (switch up)

- A/G is selected

- Mavs have timed out

- IRMV mode visible in both MFDs

- Mavs uncaged

- Crosshair closed

- Using the pickle button, not the gun trigger

- Checked all the buttons are actually set to what they should be

- Checked that the missile is an AGM65G and not a TGM65G (I'm not even sure if the TGM version has a sensor suite).

I am seriously scratching head over this one. I have never had a problem with Mavs (once I got used to them).

At one point, the nozzles weren't at zero degrees and he was coming in quite low and slow with flaps set to Auto.

I noticed that there was a comment a while back about the Mavs not firing if the nozzles were non-zero but then another comment to say that this is no longer a thing. Are there any safety features around nozzles or flaps that might be causing this issue?

It would be really handy to get past this issue so that we can start doing co-op missions.

Cheers!

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

Hi

I have been teaching a friend how to use the Mavs via multiplayer and have a problem that we just can't get around: we're getting to the point where he has the Mav locked on target, the cross-hairs have closed and, as far as I can tell, all is good to go. Unfortunately, on pressing the pickle button the missile does not release.

CptT

I have had this issue as well in SP when I flew this module instead of just using it as AI. Best I can tell it is a random issue. About 50/50 chance the IRMAV will fire when locked on a target. I watched all the youtube videos and read the procedures and followed them to the letter. Sometimes the missile launches and sometimes it does not. Changing targets does nothing, only thing I can do is restart the mission and try again. Usually that works but sometimes I had to quit and restart DCS.

Thanks for that.

I did some experimenting and it seems to be a nozzle position issue. I flew three missions, one from the carrier and two from Batumi in Redkite's Harrier activity blanket. I found that if the nozzles are beyond 20 degrees the Mavs generally wouldn't fire although it didn't seem to be a hard and fast rule, sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. They always fired with the nozzles at 0 degrees except for on one mission where the Stores page bugged out and the IRMV option disappeared from below the button. In this case, I could still select the Mavs using the stores position buttons but they wouldn't fire.

I hope this is of use to others.

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

Thanks for that.

I did some experimenting and it seems to be a nozzle position issue. I flew three missions, one from the carrier and two from Batumi in Redkite's Harrier activity blanket. I found that if the nozzles are beyond 20 degrees the Mavs generally wouldn't fire although it didn't seem to be a hard and fast rule, sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. They always fired with the nozzles at 0 degrees except for on one mission where the Stores page bugged out and the IRMV option disappeared from below the button. In this case, I could still select the Mavs using the stores position buttons but they wouldn't fire.

I hope this is of use to others.

CptT

I am pretty sure the nozzles were at 0 degrees each time. The whole module seems buggy, maybe when its out of early access and beta I will try it again.

I have only had the issue of the Mavericks not firing twice and on both occasions the IRMV select was missing from below it's button on the MPCD. Other than that, they've always worked fine. It's what made this situation so frustrating.

I messed around with Mavericks yesterday and never had any issues with them. In fact I've flown the Harrier since release and never had an issue with them the whole time that I can recall. That doesn't mean there can't be a bug out there affecting just certain computers or users though.

That being said, nozzles should prevent weapons firing if they aren't at 0, I think there's an interlock. Make sure Mavericks are being employed from proper parameters. <6.5 miles, in keyhole, locked on target, master arm on, rdy state and not still warming up, uncaged, etc.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

i tried tonight to attack ships and could not get a lock with ship mfd . Mav was jumping and i got so close to ship and still no lock ..????

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Ship target type is not yet implemented. It should have the Maverick aim for just above the waterline when it works.

That being said, a long while back I did fire some Mavericks at a ships. The hit somewhere on the superstructure, but they hit.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1