Need advice for new (used) hardware components

Hi to all.

New in DCS (and this is my first post actually) with my old PC an i3 3220, 8GB RAM and a tiny GT640 2GB Nvidia... (DCS on SSD, Windows 7 x64) I quickly found out that my system is below minreqs or at least marginal. Single player, simple missions, 14 to 20 fps, max 25... Almost crap as you imagine. And this at .... "Ultra-low" settings.

I want to see the quality I see on those youtube videos or near that and actually manage to play some multiplayer which is no-go at the moment so I want to upgrade those components using as a tiny budget as possible since I am a poor man. New system at around 700 Euros is out of the question now.

The best CPU my mobo (Asrock H77M) accepts is the i7 3770K @3.5MHz , and I am thinking of adding 8more Gigs of Memory to make it a dual channel 16GB RAM, plus a used GF 1080 at 8GB.

I can get all those around 200Euros which is my budget at the moment. (All used/refurbished ofcourse)

The question is.... Is that enough? Is it possible to have a stable 40fps+ on max settings with this "new" setup?

Thank you in advance for your replies and help!

Babis

The i7-3770K is still rather good, but you'll need a good CPU cooler for it and an overclocking motherboard so you can run it at at 4.0 GHz on all cores, bare minimum, for best performance in DCS.

16GB of RAM is recommended. 8GB might cause stuttering as you fly around because the sim will have to swap graphics assets to the SSD, causing the sim to pause.

GTX 1080 8GB is pretty good.

So, if you can, make sure you get an overclocking mobo and 16GB of RAM. Get your CPU running nice and fast and you'll have a pretty good rig for DCS.

Also, an i5 processor is generally cheaper than an i7, and will perform the same at a given clock speed because DCS doesn't use hyperthreading. Make sure it's a K type processor so you can overclock it.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Hi to all.

New in DCS (and this is my first post actually) with my old PC an i3 3220, 8GB RAM and a tiny GT640 2GB Nvidia... (DCS on SSD, Windows 7 x64) I quickly found out that my system is below minreqs or at least marginal. Single player, simple missions, 14 to 20 fps, max 25... Almost crap as you imagine. And this at .... "Ultra-low" settings.

I want to see the quality I see on those youtube videos or near that and actually manage to play some multiplayer which is no-go at the moment so I want to upgrade those components using as a tiny budget as possible since I am a poor man. New system at around 700 Euros is out of the question now.

The best CPU my mobo (Asrock H77M) accepts is the i7 3770K @3.5MHz , and I am thinking of adding 8more Gigs of Memory to make it a dual channel 16GB RAM, plus a used GF 1080 at 8GB.

I can get all those around 200Euros which is my budget at the moment. (All used/refurbished ofcourse)

The question is.... Is that enough? Is it possible to have a stable 40fps+ on max settings with this "new" setup?

Thank you in advance for your replies and help!

Babis

Welcome to the forum !

If you can get all that for ~200 go for it ! But be prepared to dial down your expectations a bit . Firstly YT vids are often post-processed , so hopes of matching their quality is a bit unrealistic . No , you won't be running "max" settings , but you will be running substantially better than now .

Try to get memory with the same part number as yours , and make sure your pagefile is running on the ssd .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks so much for your replies.

As there is no other option available I will go for it.

What I actually need is to be able to fly smoothly (smoothly for me is at +35fps) and to see the high quality textures with some Antialising. That's all I need at the moment.

Thanks again,

Babis