Quick radio usage question...

Spirit X

I like having the easy comms off and learning to use the radios properly in my planes and while I've seen plenty of info on how to use them, I haven't seen any vids discussing general use and radio management.

Specifically what I'm wondering is, as most aircraft seem to have at least a UHF radio and a VHF radio, what's the conventional way to use them? I presume that most flights would have one radio set aside to talk to their own flight and that radio would never be re-tuned, while the other would be used to talk to ATC, AWACS, tankers, JTACs etc...

For instance, in the Viper I use VHF to speak to my wingmen and then I use UHF for everything else, is this a correct approach?

ATC is normally VHF. Especially Civil Aerodromes. Military Aerdromes often have VHF/UHF repeated.

Mission Comms are normally UHF.

HF is used for long range comms where SATCOM is not available.

Not by anyway hard rules and COMMS plans can be complicated beasts that must take into account the various equipment of all participants.

Basically, if you need to call someone, use that radio. Use the spare radio for your flight. If you have to switch, then switch. Use what you got to make it work. If you have a choice, make the choice that’s easiest for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ourorborus, are you saying all AWACS, tanker, JTAC, flight/package comms would usually be UHF, and aerodrome ATC VHF?

Obviously in a peace time scenario, VHF would be used when there is a need to integrate with civil ATC. What about in a full combat scenario, eg Gulf War?

If you have both radios, and the aerodrome has both frequencies, which one would be preferred?

Ourorborus, are you saying all AWACS, tanker, JTAC, flight/package comms would usually be UHF, and aerodrome ATC VHF?

Obviously in a peace time scenario, VHF would be used when there is a need to integrate with civil ATC. What about in a full combat scenario, eg Gulf War?

If you have both radios, and the aerodrome has both frequencies, which one would be preferred?

I know you didn’t ask me, but yes, UHF for operations, VHF for ATC, typically.

If you have both freqs, use the one that gives the most awareness to the most amount of people. For example if you are calling a C Class civil tower with both UHF and VHF, you might want to call via VHF because the rest of the traffic is likely on that channel already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are threads or topics related to anything to do with Comms / radio interaction or ATC tucked away in either the "wish list" thread or eleswhere obscure?

The OP has nothing whatsoever to do with "bugs and Problems"

Wouldn't it be a nice idea to perhaps create a new thread under 2.5 just labelled "Radio" for all things Comms related?

Kind Regards,

Gary

Edited by Gary
typo's
  • Thanks 1

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

I agree Gary. Moving this thread to the bug sub is ridiculous. It was a discussion on real world COMM usage, not a bug report. I don’t get it.

Unless ED simply want to hide away all talk about COMM/ATC, so people don’t realise how inadequate it actually is.

• Thanks 1