How to do the Oilfield mission 2?

Anyone done the Oilfield mission before? I'm having a general problem of not knowing what the objective itself is, but where.. It just says I'm supposed to fly to the subbase for loading.. But it doesn't say where it is. Also having bit of a problem understanding what DISS is. Is it the same as Doppler system?

Edited by keem85

i recently completed the campaign. the sub base is super close to where you take off from. bring up your f10 map, see the cluster of stuff a few kilometers from where youre at? thats the subbase, takes maybe 2 minutes top getting there

make sure youre tuned into 126.000 mhz on the center console.

i didnt use the doppler system for much of the campaign, just adjust your compass to whatever heading is in the briefing (the crew will mention it when its time to take off from sub base as well) and follow that till you see your destination.

doppler system is good for tracking distance traveled along your azimuth, but you can plot your course on the f10 map

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

like i said, try flying a compass heading& measure out the distance using the tool on the f10 map. when you get close, youll hear voice actor say "tower in sight, prepare for landing"

i didnt play with doppler or radio navigation till i was pretty close to the end

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

504smudge posted videos of play-thrus of oilfields missions. once you know what youre looking for, the oil rigs get easy to spot

heres #2

System:

heres an article on the DISS15. not really super necessary, but you can use it if you like

https://www.mudspike.com/how-to-use-the-doppler-navigator-in-dcs-mi-8mtv2/

System:

Thanks guys!!

its just been me, and me, and me all along. and me.

job.gif

Edited by ngreenaway

System:

Most important feature of the doppler system is that it will show the neccessary corrections for crosswind etc so you can reach your destination without 'cheating' in the F10 map. One of the biggest advantages of this campaign imho, that it really teaches the navigation systems onboard.

I think just going by the F10 map isn't good advice in this case.

to each their own. i fly the mi-8 from the left seat, the instrumentation is better. F10 isnt so much cheating as it is the equivalent of having a navigator communicate course corrections to you. like many other features, its a "dont like it?dont use it" sort of thing

I mentioned in my review on steam of this campaign that one of its strengths is that it doesnt require mastery of all systems from the get-go, if you want to get used to vfr& dead reckoning with the compass, you can. if you want to spend a few missions fiddling around with the ark-9, you can. same with ark-ud. same with diss-15. you can mess with doppler during your slingload hookups, you can do slingload from the rear cabin. the campaign is a great lab where you can practice any of the competencies at the rate you want to and be able to focus on them & not worrying about getting shot in the process

System:

Most important feature of the doppler system is that it will show the neccessary corrections for crosswind etc so you can reach your destination without 'cheating' in the F10 map. One of the biggest advantages of this campaign imho, that it really teaches the navigation systems onboard.

I think just going by the F10 map isn't good advice in this case.

Totally agree, the doppler nav system combined with drift info, and throwing in some NDBs if required, is awesome for cross-country nav.

I fly in VR and just peer over at the co-pilot panel and zoom in to see my deviation if any. Would be pretty awesome if he gave you a heads-up maybe if you reached 1km adrift from track for example.

Pretty much turns any crosscountry leg into a VOR/DME beacon nav solution (flying the outbound 'radial' for set distance from diss enable posit).

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]