New update and f-16

Furiz
Go to solution Solved by Furiz,

Actually he is very optimistic, just see how much they did for f16 this year

Indeed. BigNewy confirmed on Discord that Mavericks are still WIP, almost a month later since the planned "release".

Also if you read the Hornet mini-updates, you will know that Viper has been pretty much abandoned until at least 2021. :smilewink:

ED it self said that they won't be doing much work on the F-16 this year .. so ... with current schedule you can expect work to be done in 2021. And you can believe that they will have other projects that get pushed into the middle of it again, so I don't have any high hopes of seeing anything before end of 2021 by now.

Oh my. :(

Interesting reading all of these posts. I just bought the F-16 and F/A 18 knowing they were WIP , but it sounds like there is so much yet to be accomplished on them. What Jet is similar to these that is 100 percent flawless in their line-up? I might have to go with that one for now. (DCS World OpenBeta)

Yup welcome to early access DCS style, (EA takes in DCS takes YEARS, not months like the rest of the industry)

And JF17 is the most complete jet in DCS right now, its mainly what I fly because of that. Someday soon I hope to enjoy the Hornet and Viper when they are more "complete".

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The SC is a runway they reworked and that they are selling to get some cash, shouldn't even be sold, runways should be part of the core game, there is clearly financial problems when they are doing something like this, makes me wonder how long can they keep this up.

SC needs resources and that is slowing completion of other modules in EA, if they were allocated on the EA modules that are not finished they would speed up the process,

I think many would be happy without SC and with finished aircraft modules, then after that SC etc...

But they clearly need money, those EA aircraft are already sold so there is none or low income from them,

SC with collaboration of the youtubers, that everyone so blindly believes in, will generate cash, that's why all this hype about a runway with animated crew while the sold modules remain unfinished.

I mean I don't entirely disagree about the runway comment. But I don't think the SC is taking away any resources from "airplane" coding talent. Some 3d guys, sure gives them something to do. Core systems coders, yup. But really the airplane/avionics teams are probably not in the least bit impacted by it, and the 3d models for the Viper and Hornet are done. So unless you want the 3d model guy to start slinging code (and I highly suggest you do not) there isn't much impact. IMO the SC was supposed to be low-cost/low-effort to generate cash to improve the core game. And using the paid SC to get better ATC/comms etc into the game, sure I'll buy that for a dollar or twenty.

I don't think it ended up being as low effort as ED thought though.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yup welcome to early access DCS style, (EA takes in DCS takes YEARS, not months like the rest of the industry)

And JF17 is the most complete jet in DCS right now, its mainly what I fly because of that. Someday soon I hope to enjoy the Hornet and Viper when they are more "complete".

thanks for that recommendation. I'll take a look at the JF17 reviews. that's the only plane that wouldn't come up on my list and allow me the free trial for some reason. Also, do you consider TRACK-IR a must? I have 3 screens plus a Helios screen. I would assume Track-IR is a must due to being able to look upwards? (in my configuration)? would you agree with that? would be the biggest benefit. I have not tried my oculus-rift in a long time (pre 2080Ti card) and so i don't know what DCS will look like now....probably will still be screen-door so I'm kinda stuck to the 3+1 monitor configuration for now. thanks a ton!!

when do you think there is light at the end of the tunnel?

For the Viper, I wouldn't expect much till next year. My hope is that they put some serious effort on the Hornet since its further along and push it out. But they just moved the goalposts on what "out of EA" meant feature wise for the hornet. So... Its a bummer...

thanks for that recommendation. I'll take a look at the JF17 reviews. that's the only plane that wouldn't come up on my list and allow me the free trial for some reason. Also, do you consider TRACK-IR a must? I have 3 screens plus a Helios screen. I would assume Track-IR is a must due to being able to look upwards? (in my configuration)? would you agree with that? would be the biggest benefit. I have not tried my oculus-rift in a long time (pre 2080Ti card) and so i don't know what DCS will look like now....probably will still be screen-door so I'm kinda stuck to the 3+1 monitor configuration for now. thanks a ton!!

The Jeff has its share of bugs and issues, but they are generally much more minor and mild compared to the Viper/hornet, or they are "core DCS bugs, like missiles". Then again, since there is no actual real world documentation on it, no one knows how "realistic" it is. But IMO its fairly plausible.

Honestly yes I'd say T-IR is a must if you are the least bit serious about DCS, that and a hotas of some sort.

I fly exclusively in VR, and when my Reverb headset broke I just couldn't go back to flat-screen, so I dug my old rift out and used that, but it was pretty grim (it had better colors than the reverb though). Though the Rift-S should work pretty well for lower end systems.

Track ir makes things much more easier, but careful some people suffer from it cause it can cause some motion sickness, it takes a bit to get used to it but the end result is much better awareness, specially in dogfights.

They just announce some hornet mini updates, none for viper so bleh... I have both planes but I want viper to be more versatile.

Track ir makes things much more easier, but careful some people suffer from it cause it can cause some motion sickness, it takes a bit to get used to it but the end result is much better awareness, specially in dogfights.

They just announce some hornet mini updates, none for viper so bleh... I have both planes but I want viper to be more versatile.

Yea, i can't wait for Viper to get some updates, it will be great. As for the F/A 18, thankx for the heads up. I will make sure I backup my options.lua and many other files that have mod fixes (AMPCD line bluriness, RWR, etc.) since ED will overwrite those with this patch you speak of. I would expect that the patch will come down at any time, correct? I have not launched today so I don't know when it will come. As for TRACK-IR, i can get a little motion sickness with VR Glasses on, but i used to have a cheap China made 3D printed fake track-IR type device that used the old sony motion-cam attached to a monitor and so then you would use this cheap-freeware tracking software. This 3D printed fake Track-IR type device would attach to my Hyper-X headset (i would attach it with tie-wraps to fasten it) and then I had a TRACK-IR type device to work with. But the 3D printed unit broke and that was that. I'm just not sure if i should stay with the 3+1 screen system for now or not. THe frame-rates suffer even with a 2080Ti card and mid to low settings (3 screens on 2080Ti & one screen below running on its own GPU).....so it's a hard call what to do since Track-IR is several hundred. I might use that money to go toward an HP Reverb or something along the lines of that or PIMEX , but time will tell and i appreciate the recommendations and updates on the ED progress!!!!!

Edited by bad_turbulence

You can see what they are working on it the Viper mini updates sticky. It's probably one of the best ways to see what they have updated and are currently working on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

• Solution
You can see what they are working on it the Viper mini updates sticky. It's probably one of the best ways to see what they have updated and are currently working on.

Yep but the only problem is that the sticky is not being updated ;P Look at the date it was last updated

yeah ..

let's see what FCR hostiles mean ..

I mean Leading edge flaps, and lights weren't anywhere on my personal priority list ..

so yeah .. thanks .. I guess ..

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Instead of having maverick, we will get stronger lightbulbs. Better than nothing. We can blind enemy tank crews by flying low while strobes are on

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yea, i can't wait for Viper to get some updates, it will be great. As for the F/A 18, thankx for the heads up. I will make sure I backup my options.lua and many other files that have mod fixes (AMPCD line bluriness, RWR, etc.) since ED will overwrite those with this patch you speak of. I would expect that the patch will come down at any time, correct? I have not launched today so I don't know when it will come. As for TRACK-IR, i can get a little motion sickness with VR Glasses on, but i used to have a cheap China made 3D printed fake track-IR type device that used the old sony motion-cam attached to a monitor and so then you would use this cheap-freeware tracking software. This 3D printed fake Track-IR type device would attach to my Hyper-X headset (i would attach it with tie-wraps to fasten it) and then I had a TRACK-IR type device to work with. But the 3D printed unit broke and that was that. I'm just not sure if i should stay with the 3+1 screen system for now or not. THe frame-rates suffer even with a 2080Ti card and mid to low settings (3 screens on 2080Ti & one screen below running on its own GPU).....so it's a hard call what to do since Track-IR is several hundred. I might use that money to go toward an HP Reverb or something along the lines of that or PIMEX , but time will tell and i appreciate the recommendations and updates on the ED progress!!!!!

Both the F-16 and Hornet are great aircraft and very complex. Even though they are work in progress, it takes time to simply fly them well. In my humble view, no use having harms, jdams, etc that are not properly working until they have them working, or at least modeled with some systems working p0roperly even if limited. Further, having all the nice toys is nice but no use if you can't fly well or use the systems, or do carrier landings in the 18, or can't do air to air refueling. Not being able to do those things will limit you more than lacking some weapons. In real life, squadrons are not always flush with weapons of choice...they make do, overcome, and adapt. There is so much depth to DCS that I often tell friends that the only thing missing are the g forces and that smell mix of vomit and kerosene and the smell of rubber and sweat of the mask that I remember from the jets I sat in. I've spent the last 3 weeks just learning how to operate what systems are already on the F-16 and I'm nowhere near complete. Look, go get chuck's guide on the F-16 and F-18 where you can study and see the richness of the modelling. If you want to do simple air to air, or air to ground without a lot of work and complexity, stick with the simpler jets ( and even those are too complicated for some folks), or wwII vintage aircraft. And by simple, I mean that both respectfully and simply in comparison. If on the other hand you want to enter the arena and get an idea of what it takes to be a modern era fighter pilot then you'll have to invest time to learning what is a steep learning curve for some aircraft. The 18 and 16 are up there in my humble opinion, but rewarding as you learn the systems. Just learning the radios and tacan navigation are a challenge. Do you know how to read and approach chart? etc. etc. more to airmanship than just banking stick and throttle.

In the end, it really depends what you want out of DCS: the game or Sim?. In my humble opinion, it's that depth and complexity that dcs delivers, and yes, sometimes at a snails pace, but rewarding.

My advice would be if you could only get one modern aircraft, would be to get the 18 as it is more complete, and learning to do carrier approaches and basket refueling is a great challenge.

ks

Both the F-16 and Hornet are great aircraft and very complex. Even though they are work in progress, it takes time to simply fly them well. In my humble view, no use having harms, jdams, etc that are not properly working until they have them working, or at least modeled with some systems working p0roperly even if limited. Further, having all the nice toys is nice but no use if you can't fly well or use the systems, or do carrier landings in the 18, or can't do air to air refueling. Not being able to do those things will limit you more than lacking some weapons. In real life, squadrons are not always flush with weapons of choice...they make do, overcome, and adapt. There is so much depth to DCS that I often tell friends that the only thing missing are the g forces and that smell mix of vomit and kerosene and the smell of rubber and sweat of the mask that I remember from the jets I sat in. I've spent the last 3 weeks just learning how to operate what systems are already on the F-16 and I'm nowhere near complete. Look, go get chuck's guide on the F-16 and F-18 where you can study and see the richness of the modelling. If you want to do simple air to air, or air to ground without a lot of work and complexity, stick with the simpler jets ( and even those are too complicated for some folks), or wwII vintage aircraft. And by simple, I mean that both respectfully and simply in comparison. If on the other hand you want to enter the arena and get an idea of what it takes to be a modern era fighter pilot then you'll have to invest time to learning what is a steep learning curve for some aircraft. The 18 and 16 are up there in my humble opinion, but rewarding as you learn the systems. Just learning the radios and tacan navigation are a challenge. Do you know how to read and approach chart? etc. etc. more to airmanship than just banking stick and throttle.

In the end, it really depends what you want out of DCS: the game or Sim?. In my humble opinion, it's that depth and complexity that dcs delivers, and yes, sometimes at a snails pace, but rewarding.

My advice would be if you could only get one modern aircraft, would be to get the 18 as it is more complete, and learning to do carrier approaches and basket refueling is a great challenge.

ks

Great advice and point well taken. I have a lot to learn and i will configure two situations with "Alternate Launcher". I will launch with one screen option or a 3 screen (really 4) depending on what immersion i want (low fps vs. much higher). But will learn the aircraft more thoroughly. F16 and F18 along with flaming cliffs is enough to handle for now. I'll start with the 18 and 16 for sure. Easy as she goes as they say. Yea, i think i'll get on those radios (would you recommend voice-attack with the additional component addon (can't think of the name). I'll order a good microphone or use a headset. thanks a ton

Great advice and point well taken. I have a lot to learn and i will configure two situations with "Alternate Launcher". I will launch with one screen option or a 3 screen (really 4) depending on what immersion i want (low fps vs. much higher). But will learn the aircraft more thoroughly. F16 and F18 along with flaming cliffs is enough to handle for now. I'll start with the 18 and 16 for sure. Easy as she goes as they say. Yea, i think i'll get on those radios (would you recommend voice-attack with the additional component addon (can't think of the name). I'll order a good microphone or use a headset. thanks a ton

I have the exact same package for over 2 months, and I'm still having fun still learning, so no doubt you money went the right way!

As for f16 update just some minor tweaks to lights, but happy to see they are communicating!,

hoping for more in a week or 2:P

Good point. At the 23rd, we’ve been working on perfecting departures from and approaches to Nellis lately and having a lot of fun doing it. You can d/l the Nellis plates here at the bottom of the page. https://www.airnav.com/airport/KLSV

Stop by our discord if you’d like some company learning to do it just like they do it in IRL.

Edited by Invisibull

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Same

Yeah. Bought the F-16 yesterday because i really wanted her (Falcon 3 veteran here) - knowing i wont be able to fly her properly before 2024 because EA announced, gets some features, gets dropped, next EA announced, this gets some features, gets dropped, next EA announced... remind me of this post January 2021 and again Juli 2021 and at these dates the Hornet wont be out of EA and F-16 will get half baked features and fixes dripping and not be out of EA in early 2022. You can remind me of this post early 2022 too.

(Disclaimer: redefining what "EA" means in cheesy PR statements so an EA product can be called "released" does not count).

I really accepted all this when i bought the Viper, but its also been the last DCS module i bought.

Im done :pilotfly:

Gone for good.

I really accepted all this when i bought the Viper, but its also been the last DCS module i bought.

+1

My speech

X-Plane 11 Payware :

Aircraft : Boeing 767-300ER, Airbus 319-100, Airbus 350 XWB, Beechcraft King Air 350, Diamond DA-62

Airport : KATL

Yeah. Bought the F-16 yesterday because i really wanted her (Falcon 3 veteran here) - knowing i wont be able to fly her properly before 2024 because EA announced, gets some features, gets dropped, next EA announced, this gets some features, gets dropped, next EA announced... remind me of this post January 2021 and again Juli 2021 and at these dates the Hornet wont be out of EA and F-16 will get half baked features and fixes dripping and not be out of EA in early 2022. You can remind me of this post early 2022 too.

(Disclaimer: redefining what "EA" means in cheesy PR statements so an EA product can be called "released" does not count).

Im done :pilotfly:

I am very hopeful and encouraged that they will make some progress with the 16. There are posts referring to its bad Frames and Performance. If they want to keep people playing it, they will have to get that fixed first, then work on the other items. If it flies slow frames, it's a non-starter. We should see this product get better and better each month. I look for mid-summer to hopefully get the frames worked out or at least up to par with the 18 and M2000. At least that's a high bar to shoot for frames-wise. I'm trying to beef my system up now by putting DCS World Open-Beta on a faster SSD so hopefully that will make some difference. Can't do much about my CPU (6800K 6-core) until they write DCS World using Vulkan and Metal API's, then my CPU will be at its best....until such time that i re-invest in CPU , but that's way down the road. So yea, back to the 16...I'm hoping for a wind-fall of fixes and performance changes coming in the next month or so (wishful thinking I know)...i just have confidence in their ability to put more people on this project because it's such an important one (the frames issue). Thanks for the input!!!!!

I hope at minimum this year they fix all the bugs of the current radar modes and datalink. Including all ACM modes, because they are a total joke at the moment. Actually comparing to some previous patches we have negative progress on these because they got a lot worse than they were i.e. in 2.5.5..