Supercarrier Hornets should bounce more

fagulha

Hi all,

I think, if it´s possible with the engine that DCS currently has, that the animation of the Hornet landing, or even the Tomcat, the airframe shoult bounce more. I think the landing animation is always linear.

Who´s with me?

Thank you.

Best regards,

F.

• Like 3

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I agree, looking at real life videos on YT versus DCS, irl the aircraft movement during the traps all looks much more violent

Let's say, it seems there's room for improvement on that matter.

I'm also very curious about AI landing behaviour, as in the preview videos I've only seen player landings (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I mean, on the Stennis, as soon as AI comes to a standstill, they instantaneously fold their wing and start taxiing.

While in real life, I can imagine the pilot will probably need a (very short) moment to realize he didn't bolter, get "back into his seat" after being thrown forward in his harness, place hook to up, place flaps up, look around to insure it's safe to taxi, start taxi away from the landing area and only then start folding the wings.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I agree, looking at real life videos on YT versus DCS, irl the aircraft movement during the traps all looks much more violent

Let's say, it seems there's room for improvement on that matter.

I'm also very curious about AI landing behaviour, as in the preview videos I've only seen player landings (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I mean, on the Stennis, as soon as AI comes to a standstill, they instantaneously fold their wing and start taxiing.

While in real life, I can imagine the pilot will probably need a (very short) moment to realize he didn't bolter, get "back into his seat" after being thrown forward in his harness, place hook to up, place flaps up, look around to insure it's safe to taxi, start taxi away from the landing area and only then start folding the wings.

Agreed!

Hope ED give some love to this part of the simulation. Those small details count.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Today at Youtube channel of Spudknocker:

Spudknocker

"If I recall correctly, ED explained its due to the transition between the flight physics engine and the ground physics engine when the aircraft contacts the ship or a runway, DCS also has to calculate how fast you hit the runway or deck to calculate if there is any damage to your aircraft and or pilot"

NineLine

12 hours ago

"Yeah, as Spud said, there is a lot going on there, the FM is calculating every moment of flight, as you hit the deck, on a moving object, and not just moving forward but also moving with the ocean (although not as much in this vid) it still makes for some big calculations on the fly."

Me:

"@NineLine today i opened a thread on the Supercarrier forum with a similar question. It's something that ED can improve in the future? Or it's possible at all? Love to see the Hornet bounce after weight on wheels. Thank you."

Spudknocker:

8 hours ago

"Fagulha I would imagine that maybe when DCS has access to more cores and thus computing power behind it maybe it could be improved?"

So, probably we won´t see it so soon or at all.... :(

Since most of the reviewers mainly watched AI units land, I guess it's rather a problem with the AI FM - which is still SFM. And everyone who has flown an SFM plane in DCS or back in Lock On knows how "magnetically" these behave when getting into contact with the ground or a flight deck. That pretty much applies here as well. At least when I was watching the videos, I just noticed that when the guys were standing on the LSO spot and were watching the others come in for recovery.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Since most of the reviewers mainly watched AI units land, I guess it's rather a problem with the AI FM - which is still SFM. And everyone who has flown an SFM plane in DCS or back in Lock On knows how "magnetically" these behave when getting into contact with the ground or a flight deck. That pretty much applies here as well. At least when I was watching the videos, I just noticed that when the guys were standing on the LSO spot and were watching the others come in for recovery.

This. I think the best way to judge the look and feel of these landings is in single player, watching the one's own plane. Not AI planes, and not in MP either due to the netcode.

:thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

It would enrich my experience with my Squadron as LSO for my buddies in VR :)

• 1 year later...

Something like this....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fagulha said:

Something like this....

I played this game ad nauseam. It truly was fun when it first came out. DCS is leaps and bounds ahead but there are a few things like the physics of it all that this game has, and we are missing. 

• Like 2

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

10 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

I played this game ad nauseam. It truly was fun when it first came out. DCS is leaps and bounds ahead but there are a few things like the physics of it all that this game has, and we are missing. 

Exactly. Far from me comparing the two, i just wish DCS physics on carrier traps be worked on.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Phantom88 said:

Sorry...Couldn't help Myself🤣

iiii.gif

It was my first image on my mind when i started this thread....

I know that "bounce" wasn´t the best word to describe what i was trying to say but i think that in general everyone got it  🙂

• Like 1