[INV] Serious INS position problem

Tiger-II

Hi,

I hope I can explain this clearly, as there is a serious systems fault. The first is the cause, which I think might be a bug in its own right, but it impacts multiple systems thereafter.

1) INS ramp position problem

When using the option to "get ramp coordinates" (F8 -> Ground -> F6 -> Get ramp coordinates) the coordinates loaded are not accurate enough. It can be up to 10 miles away due to precision error.

2) INS position error

a) Effect on RADAR: RADAR targets are not real. It shows targets at the correct azimuth and range, but as if the aircraft is NOT offset by the INS position error. i.e. it is acting as if there is NO INS position error and the aircraft is in the real location.

b) Effect on the moving map: the moving map is drawing correctly for OWNSHIP position.

c) RWR and missile alerts are painting in the WRONG place. They are offset to the wrong position (because of INS position error) and are appearing as if the aircraft is in the REAL location, not the offset location.

d) Nav mode is screwed up completely. If you set a waypoint (I used the alignment point copied to WPT01), the line on the HUD compass INCORRECTLY points at the correct geographic location, while the TD box is offset to the correct spatial position for the aircraft relative to the alignment error.

i.e. if I fly the heading bug I end up at the correct geographic location.

If I fly the TD box on the HUD I end up at the correct INS position (as far as the system is concerned).

I appreciate this is confusing as hell. I'm having a hard time explaining it. It's only a problem if the INS is not correctly aligned, but the RADAR should not be affected by it, nor RWR symbology with SPJ as these are relative bearings/distances and not derived from INS position.

Edited by uboats

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Your HNS always has a green light?

On the power panel? Yes.

I tried this again with a full GC alignment - it appears it is a problem in Persian Gulf specifically. I don't remember this problem in Caucuses.

** There does however appear to be a problem with a bad alignment (e.g. when wrong ramp coordinates are used). It results in strange system behavior **

FULL GC ALIGNMENT; MANUALLY ENTERED CORRECT COORDINATES FOR RAMP. Looking more closely, it appears it is the map that is incorrectly placed on the HSD.

IdWtEZv.png

wRb4Lgm.jpg

GldonZ4.png

qBwxb4G.jpg

Note the red dots for my two missiles - they did fly left and right of the aircraft when fired, so the F10 and missile guidance and target positions correlated. It's just the HSD map that seems out of position; not the data. Note that INS is aligned correctly in this case.

myEw95B.png

(No, I did not photoshop an outline of the B-2 into the F10 map screenshot).

Edited by Tiger-II

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I need to clarify something:

1) It appears the map in the HSD for the Persian Gulf is not displayed correctly

2) When the INS is not properly aligned (e.g. bad initialization coordinates) the nav system has strange issues, and RADAR and RWR etc. are offset, seperate to the map display issue.