A few questions for G B and/or Lex

Jetguy06

At 4:02 there are 2 Sidewinders on the cart, with one cable on each, with connectors.

They will be probably connected for communication between missile and aircraft systems, but what happens with this wire and connector themselves at the moment of launch? Just getting ripped apart, and if so, do the cable parts remain on the aircraft to be removed after landing, or...?

Thanks

Edited by Razor18

At 4:02 there are 2 Sidewinders on the cart, with one cable on each, with connectors.

They will be probably connected for communication between missile and aircraft systems, but what happens with this wire and connector themselves at the moment of launch? Just getting ripped apart, and if so, do the cable parts remain on the aircraft to be removed after landing, or...?

Thanks

Yes. The umbilicals will seperate from the missile at launch, much the same as arming wire lanyards separate from the bomb when released.

Hi There,

in this video at 2:10 you can see two greenshirts, one in the foreground sitting in a hole, another on the deck edge. What are these guys doing in the launch process, and what is the yellowshirt cheking on green shirt #1's panel?

At 2:40 both greenshirt mentioned giving the thumbs up just prior to launch, then #2 right on the deck edge presses some button apparently. Is he shooting in fact the aircraft on the Shooters signal?

Thanks

They are older remote launch stations. Can be used instead of the ICCS (bubble) to activate the Cats.

This site has some good info.

https://www.navysite.de/cvn/flightdeck.htm#cat

I believe the fuel state call is to let the “tower” know who has how much fuel. Basically so they can expedite landing jets with low fuel and get tankers airborne as needed.

i5-10600KF, 16Gb DDR4, GTX1660 Super, HP Reverb G2, TM Cougar, TM Warthog

Is there an SOP for how to setup the screens for takeoff and landing? For example: Checklist on left, DHI on right, HUD on center, etc. Or is up to the pilot preferences?

Thanks.

When trapping you’ll want HSI set to TACAN with course set to BRC. I like this on the right DDI. Easily accessible for changes this way and the advisories won’t block info at the bottom . HUD page set to right DDI in case the actual HUD fails. These are the most necessary displays. The third display is personal preference.

Take off is, left DDI set to HUD. Right DDI set to FCS. This lets you see trim setting and double check there are no FCS issues.

Remember one of your primary checks for landing is the Hook bypass switch. If your hook is down and the switch is set to field the AOA indicator will blink.

Remember one of your primary checks for landing is the Hook bypass switch. If your hook is down and the switch is set to field the AOA indicator will blink.

Isn't that the other way round? AoA indicator flashes if the hook bypass switch is set to carrier and the hook *isn't* down.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Isn't that the other way round? AoA indicator flashes if the hook bypass switch is set to carrier and the hook *isn't* down.

Must be both. Now I'm going to have to check. :detective:

Must be both. Now I'm going to have to check. :detective:

You're correct. Hook up, switch in carrier position.

Speaking of hooks, where in the circuit do you lower it, per SOP? I've got into the habit of doing it early (when I don't forget - that blinking light is useful :doh:), to give myself one less thing to think about as I sort myself out on the downwind leg.

Speaking of hooks, where in the circuit do you lower it, per SOP? I've got into the habit of doing it early (when I don't forget - that blinking light is useful :doh:), to give myself one less thing to think about as I sort myself out on the downwind leg.

IRL people create the habit pattern of lowering the hook when switching to button 16 (Marshal). Marrying those together makes it easy to remember. It’s at this point that HAIL-R checks are done. That’s the common practice.

During CQ, when pilots get airborne and head to the ship for their first landing, that’s when they do HAIL-R checks. However, it is taught to do it before every landing during CQ, in addition to the landing checks.

H-Hook, (engine Heat if required)

A-Box ACL on the HSI, Antiskid Off

I-Box ILS on the HSI

L-Lights as required, Landing weight

R-Radalt set time the HUD and appropriate radalt bug set

Is there an SOP for how to setup the screens for takeoff and landing? For example: Checklist on left, DHI on right, HUD on center, etc. Or is up to the pilot preferences?

Thanks.

GB. sorry to bother, but maybe you missed the question above. Or what Odey said is the SOP?

I'm not GB, but I think left DDI is usually the HUD repeater, the right is pretty much pilots preference. I would advise HSI there, so Advisory line doesnt mask the "lateral distance" from TACAN/BRC line, neighter in Marshall stack, nor on Case I downwind.

GB. sorry to bother, but maybe you missed the question above. Or what Odey said is the SOP?

Takeoff: HUD left. FCS right.

Landing: HUD left. Checklist right.

HSI on the MPCD. Never really used on a DDI.

How many right DDIs you have? For landing at least two, as I count them?... :D

HUD you meant to the left DDI, I suppose...

If you count the AMPCD you have 3 displays. I sometimes put checklist on it.

Yep I was in a rush. meant to say left.

• 3 weeks later...

Hay GB and Lex,

if you can remember, did you need a double tap on Undesignate button for the FLIR to switch to VVSLV? Just asking, because the Super Hornet needs only one press for toggling between snowplow and VVSLV (if you don't have any TGT designated), and a lot of stuff was taken over from the C model regarding switchology I surmise.

Thanks

Hay GB and Lex,

if you can remember, did you need a double tap on Undesignate button for the FLIR to switch to VVSLV? Just asking, because the Super Hornet needs only one press for toggling between snowplow and VVSLV (if you don't have any TGT designated), and a lot of stuff was taken over from the C model regarding switchology I surmise.

Thanks

latest OB DCS F18 now toggles VVSLV / snowplow with double tab I noticed / after single tab - ?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I believe the fuel state call is to let the “tower” know who has how much fuel. Basically so they can expedite landing jets with low fuel and get tankers airborne as needed.

We launch 2 tankers each cycle. The tankers are usually airborne first and land last, usually! If I recall, there was a Mission Tanker and Recovery Tanker. Been out of the game for 2 years but that's what I remember. Hope this helps.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!