X52 and modifier button

Sprool

It's not better or worse. It's preference. I try to keep it at one place so I don't get confused. If you want advanced commands and macros, you're gonna end up using the Logitech software anyway so I'd setup modifiers in Logitech software.

I use the Logitech software or all functions except the trigger. For some reason DCS doesn't recognize multiple functions assigned to first and second trigger through Logitech programmer.

I guess I'm currently trying modifiers in both dcs and X52 programming and getting conflicts.

I have a few test profiles being built up in vjoy & jstk gremlin, its just the little thumbstick & mouse button on the X52 is a bit weird, and acts differntly depending on if the game controller properties window is open or not. Want to use the thumbstick for zoom (and slew in 1 mode) and the mouse button for a modifier.

Sprool try this,

Open your X52 Programming Software and make a new profile, name it DCS . Then open GRID VIEW.

Now click on your little Mouse button and make sure it is not being used as a MODIFIER there. If you see anything up top that says something like MODE 1 + Pinkie Switch ( In your case it would say Mode 1 + Mouse fire , or what ever the mini mouse button is called) then you need to delete those.

This will hold true for most anything like Pinkie Trigger , Wheel button and so on. If when you want to use one of those and DCS does not take the attempted programmed key , check that DCS profile you made and make sure they are NOT being used as a modifier there.(Hint, odds are very high they are as its the default setting for the X52) .

You must SAVE that DCS profile you created and did all these changes too then load it to your X52 as the Profile to get the ones that DCS will not recognize to work correctly when you play.

I have found this the easiest way to do this/ That way if a update was to corrupt your DCS X52 profile, you do not have to go thru the various work around's to get them to function with just your DCS loaded Profile.

Some are seemingly bugged in game any way, and this is the only thing I have found that works every time. Mmay take a bit of trial and error on your part, but once you try it a time or two and get it to work, it will be far easier to understand .

The rest of the Normal Key Press type commands for the Buttons on your Stick can be easily programmed inside the game as normal and will work in conjunction with just the aforementioned Shift State or Mouse Wheel / Mouse Click type commands you programmed through the X52 software.

The issue is that if these are being used in your X52 software , whether you have ever used it or not , they will prevent the DCS Game programmer from recognizing them as available to be programmed.

This work around brought to you via years of the same thing and simply passed down via the forums through various X52 user. I take no credit for it, just doing my part and paying forward the knowledge someone years ago enlightened me with.

Good Luck, and I hope my attempt at explaining this did not confuse you more.

Cheers !

THabnks thats a very clear and informative post. So modifiers set in X52 programming will not work as modifiers in DCS settings but modified keypresses will work either way? As long as I stick to some convention of assigning the modifier butons in X52 OR DCS but never both?

THabnks thats a very clear and informative post. So modifiers set in X52 programming will not work as modifiers in DCS settings but modified keypresses will work either way? As long as I stick to some convention of assigning the modifier butons in X52 OR DCS but never both?

That is more or less it , I have found the Modifiers best assigned in the X52 profiler software personally . Reason being that your DCS profile seems to be so easily wrecked , corrupted by a DCS update in some way etc...

Setting Modifiers and such in the X52 Profiler prevents this and then IF you have to remake your desired DCS in game Profile for your controller , its mostly straight forward and far easier to do Keypress stuff mostly.

Know this is not a fool proof thing, but mostly the best we have at this time. You may bump into one or two that have picked up a bug from a recent update or such on occasion.

DCS some times does not read a modifier as you think it would , and / or should . Thus why I say doing the Modifiers in the X52 profiler is the best and most recommended way to assure their proper function. There is any number of post on this sub forum from long time VETS of the game, and they and their post are where I learned about this myself.

I had near the same exact type of experience you have had over the last day or so trying to figure out what in the world I was doing wrong or missing . I mean so near identical I had to make you aware of these tips because after a day or two of that Hamster wheel of trying to set things up without this knowledge , it becomes a exercise in stress, frustration, and even RAGE QUIT .

I highly recommend that you give the Modifiers in the X52 profiler a go first. The odds are, that if you stick with DCS and your X52 both for any decent length of time, you will start to Migrate towards using the X52 Profiler for the entire programming of your stick. Once you get the hang of that software, it is just extremely more flexible and powerful.

I am just now myself starting this conversion to the X52 profile software only. I think that using both is the best way to start though. To me , it makes learning a given modules Key mapping a lot easier.

This is not the only way , it is just the way I prefer and what I have picked up from other users post and the replies to those post by some of the Vets on these forums. I too am still learning all this as well , and for me it was a very tough path till I sat down and read several of the post in this sub about the X52 . I read a your first post or two , and thought that a reply or two on some of the more difficult to find tips I either dug up, or some Vet was kind enough to share with me, might save you a massive amount of time and frustration.

I am no expert though, and do not claim to be, this is just what I have read or picked up on trying to do the near exact thing you are, and had a near identical result doing it. Forgive me if I made a error or two in any of this, but its pretty solid intel to be honest.

That is, as long as todays launch of the SUPER CARRIER does not FUBAR any of it by tossing in a bug or two.

Cheers, and if you need to , shoot me a message or put it in a post, if I see it and have the slightest clue of a answer, I will get back to you if someone else does not do so first.

Regards ,

Oh , do yourself a favor, and copy the entire DCS.openbeta file , which has many different types of data you will someday wish you backed up in it.

Its a hidden file so you need to turn on See Hidden Files in Windows and then go to C-Users-YourUserName-SavedGames-DCS.openbeta.

Just copy it and stick it somewhere or on a USB Stick , I just recently learned the value of doing this from a Vet here .

do you mean the entire dcsopenbeta folder?

Yes , that is the best way to do it. There are several files in there one may need to revert back if they get damaged or lost, like your controller profiles.This is also best done before making any changes to the base controller profile. That way if you have any need to, you can always revert any part , or all, of those files, back to the Vanilla version.

That is way to do it I was told.

Edited by Junkyarddog

OK good advice, only mine is 35 gb at moment as i store all my extra liveries there, so really its just about the setup and config folders, which take up very little space, but as you say are absolutely vital.